Reg

Re: Le Gavroche

Post by Reg »

Gosport Mark wrote:
Reg wrote:
Steve Hunt wrote:
Reg wrote: And now I won't be able to go there again. :(
Why, Reg?

If it is on a matter of principle then I assume you walk around naked all the time? Because 99% of clothes are produced in third world sweatshops where not only are the employees paid a pittance, but they frequently work in extremely dangerous conditions.
I am a nudist actually.

But leaving that aside, no, I don't ethically shop etc, but I don't knowingly and deliberately seek out the shops that are the worst offenders.

Similarly I'm not going to go out of my way to choose a restaurant which I know is paying a pittance and stealing the tips of its staff, then rub their noses in it by sitting there while they serve me, in the full knowledge that I know this.

I hope this story encourages all their customers to do the same.
You assume that the majority of their customers give a fuck. I would suggest this may not be the case.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
No one I know would frequent a place that shits on its workers like this.
BE NICE TO EACH OTHER.

IF YOU CAN’T SAY SOMETHING KIND, SAY NOTHING AT ALL.

LET’S MAKE talkFORUM FUN AGAIN!

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

Some folk pay to be shat on
Speaking for the rest of the forum since 2019

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

The Ghost of Alex Higgins wrote:Some folk pay to be shat on
And some folk just do it for kicks.

Proud Gammon

RIP Neil Peart 1952-2020.

birdie

Post by birdie »

Ralph wrote:
Basualdo wrote:
birdie wrote:
Zambo wrote:Customers are interested in the quality of thee goods and services they receive for the money they have paid. Why should they care or have a responsibilty for anything else.. Some employers are scum, but you are not going to round up everyone for a boycott.

Before the minimum wage came in it was reported that the Royal Household were notorious for being bad wage payers, and i seem to recall that hadn't changed much over the years in as much that they now pay the minimum wage and that is all they are obliged to do.
As Zambo stated, people go out to relax, have a nice meal or time or be entertained. If they wanted to be hectored about social injustice theyd stay home and watch Eastenders or Channel 4.
Honestly, they dont give a fuck about who pays what or to whom as long as it doesnt encroach on their enjoyment.
Its maybe not nice, but there it is.
Up to a point. Not sure I'd spend money in a business I knew wasn't paying their staff the minimum wage.

The wouldn't imagine the people who can afford the prices the Gavroche charges give a flying fig what the staff are paid,
Sent from my Advent Monza S200 so bloody old I can't remember when I bought it

Rossco

Post by Rossco »

Basualdo wrote:
birdie wrote:
Zambo wrote:Customers are interested in the quality of thee goods and services they receive for the money they have paid. Why should they care or have a responsibilty for anything else.. Some employers are scum, but you are not going to round up everyone for a boycott.

Before the minimum wage came in it was reported that the Royal Household were notorious for being bad wage payers, and i seem to recall that hadn't changed much over the years in as much that they now pay the minimum wage and that is all they are obliged to do.
As Zambo stated, people go out to relax, have a nice meal or time or be entertained. If they wanted to be hectored about social injustice theyd stay home and watch Eastenders or Channel 4.
Honestly, they dont give a fuck about who pays what or to whom as long as it doesnt encroach on their enjoyment.
Its maybe not nice, but there it is.
phpBB [video]

You're no nice guy Eddie.
Psalm 23 - The Lord Is My Shepherd

Darkyboy

Post by Darkyboy »

Basualdo wrote:
The Ghost of Alex Higgins wrote:Some folk pay to be shat on
And some folk just do it for kicks.

I need excrement, oh I need it bad
And it's the best i've ever had

wanna hold, wanna hold her shite
Get poowolf kicks right through the night, all right
Free at last, free at last, thank God almighty, we are free at last.

birdie

Post by birdie »

Reg wrote:
Gosport Mark wrote:
Reg wrote:
Steve Hunt wrote:
Reg wrote: And now I won't be able to go there again. :(
Why, Reg?

If it is on a matter of principle then I assume you walk around naked all the time? Because 99% of clothes are produced in third world sweatshops where not only are the employees paid a pittance, but they frequently work in extremely dangerous conditions.
I am a nudist actually.

But leaving that aside, no, I don't ethically shop etc, but I don't knowingly and deliberately seek out the shops that are the worst offenders.

Similarly I'm not going to go out of my way to choose a restaurant which I know is paying a pittance and stealing the tips of its staff, then rub their noses in it by sitting there while they serve me, in the full knowledge that I know this.

I hope this story encourages all their customers to do the same.
You assume that the majority of their customers give a fuck. I would suggest this may not be the case.

No one I know would frequent a place that shits on its workers like this.
You obviously did, you started tthis thread. :roll:
Sent from my Advent Monza S200 so bloody old I can't remember when I bought it

Gosport Mark

Post by Gosport Mark »

People in China snap together iPads and iPhones for much much much less than minimum wage and no one appears to give a fuck.

Any comments contained within this post which are deemed offensive are unintentional. If any poster does wish to complain then please PM me first for a personal apology.

Moby Dicky

Post by Moby Dicky »

I've eaten at La Gavroche a couple of times.
Lunch + wine there cost me less than I am being asked to fork out at my local boozer for dinner on New Years Eve.
It's not mandatory to be a Billy Bigbollox to eat in the best restaurants.

Reg

Post by Reg »

Moby Dicky wrote:I've eaten at La Gavroche a couple of times.
Lunch + wine there cost me less than I am being asked to fork out at my local boozer for dinner on New Years Eve.
It's not mandatory to be a Billy Bigbollox to eat in the best restaurants.
Their lunch menu was amazing value - three courses including lots of other stuff in between courses, and including wine (good wine) and coffee, for far less than vastly inferior places charged.

Used to take about three hours to get through it all.

Now we know how they kept their costs down.
BE NICE TO EACH OTHER.

IF YOU CAN’T SAY SOMETHING KIND, SAY NOTHING AT ALL.

LET’S MAKE talkFORUM FUN AGAIN!