Post by Ralph »

birdie wrote:
Ralph wrote:
birdie wrote:
Ralph wrote:
birdie wrote:
Ralph wrote:
birdie wrote:
Yes, and he kept the fact that he often needed a wheelchair secret, he was pictured using a walking stick but he was never pictured (except in family photos) using a wheelchair. It was known that he had a walking disability, but the fact that he was paralysed from the waist down was only know to,those very close to,him.
Kennedy is the most extraordinary one I've read about. You would never guess how ill he was by looking at him.

Would be an exaggeration to say he was gravely ill but he was heading for real problems because of his numerous illnesses & the way they were being treated.
I know Kennedy suffered from severe back pain and had to wear a surgical corset which was why he did all his paperwork standing at a high desk, it was said that the medication he took for his condition had priapic side effects which his wife couldn't satisfy, hence his many liaisons :shock:
And his bad back was probably a result of the steroid treatment he was taking for Ulcerative Colitis, which is a nasty illness on its own.

I believe he injured his back an action when he was in command of gunboat during the war, there was a movie made about it called gunboat, or something, 405, or whatever number it was.
He was taking steroids (which caused osteoporosis) for colitis in the 1930s so the two things are likely connected?

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/11/17/us/in ... wanted=all
But wouldn't that have made him medically unfit for military service? Unless, of course his father paid for a favourable medical report.
Good point. Don't know. Perhaps he didn't tell the truth & the medical examination wasn't that thorough.

Hillman avenger

Re: Hillary collapsing all over the place

Post by Hillman avenger »

AlcoholBrazil wrote:FDR was president in extraordinary circumstances. If Obama engineered a third term, I can see the US having their third assassinated president.
There is not the remotest possibility of Obama doing that.
However if he was the Democratic candidate this time Trump would already have lost.
http://www.gallup.com/poll/116479/barac ... roval.aspx
I do like the idea" Vote Trump because Clinton's not well!"
Listen to Talksport and let it be a lesson to you

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

AlcoholBrazil wrote:FDR was president in extraordinary circumstances. If Obama engineered a third term, I can see the US having their third assassinated president.
The point is that FDR became president despite being ill/disabled. And same for JFK.

compared to that Hilary's medical problems should not be a hindrance. I'm no fan of hers, but using this as a mode of attack on her is rather silly.

Obama is not going to seek a third term.

Ralph
Forum Admin

Post by Ralph »

The Tick wrote:
AlcoholBrazil wrote:FDR was president in extraordinary circumstances. If Obama engineered a third term I can see the US having their third assassinated president.
The point is that FDR became president despite being ill/disabled. And same for JFK.

compared to that Hilary's medical problems should not be a hindrance. I'm no fan of hers, but using this as a mode of attack on her is rather silly.

:?

Obama seeking a third term?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenty- ... nstitution

birdie

Post by birdie »

The Tick wrote:

Yes, but people didn't know the extent of Roosevelts disability, he and the establishment went to great lengths to conceal his use of a wheelchair, he was always photographed sitting at his desk in an office chair , he developed a way of walking with a stick which hid the fact that he was totally paralysed from the waist down,I don't think that anyone knew Kennedy had any problems either, after all, he was a war hero, wasn't he? Do you really suppose that people would have voted for a pill popping semi invalid? Not in 1060 they wouldn't.
Sent from my Advent Monza S200 so bloody old I can't remember when I bought it

Ralph
Forum Admin

Post by Ralph »

birdie wrote:
The Tick wrote:

Yes, but people didn't know the extent of Roosevelts disability, he and the establishment went to great lengths to conceal his use of a wheelchair, he was always photographed sitting at his desk in an office chair , he developed a way of walking with a stick which hid the fact that he was totally paralysed from the waist down,I don't think that anyone knew Kennedy had any problems either, after all, he was a war hero, wasn't he? Do you really suppose that people would have voted for a pill popping semi invalid? Not in 1060 they wouldn't.
All the pills he was chugging to deal with pain etc & when you watch documentaries about the Cuban missile crisis it leaves you with the impression he was far calmer & rational than the people advising him.

birdie

Post by birdie »

Ralph wrote:
birdie wrote:
Ralph wrote:
birdie wrote:
Ralph wrote:
birdie wrote:
Ralph wrote:
Kennedy is the most extraordinary one I've read about. You would never guess how ill he was by looking at him.

Would be an exaggeration to say he was gravely ill but he was heading for real problems because of his numerous illnesses & the way they were being treated.
I know Kennedy suffered from severe back pain and had to wear a surgical corset which was why he did all his paperwork standing at a high desk, it was said that the medication he took for his condition had priapic side effects which his wife couldn't satisfy, hence his many liaisons :shock:
And his bad back was probably a result of the steroid treatment he was taking for Ulcerative Colitis, which is a nasty illness on its own.

I believe he injured his back an action when he was in command of gunboat during the war, there was a movie made about it called gunboat, or something, 405, or whatever number it was.
He was taking steroids (which caused osteoporosis) for colitis in the 1930s so the two things are likely connected?

But wouldn't that have made him medically unfit for military service? Unless, of course his father paid for a favourable medical report.
Good point. Don't know. Perhaps he didn't tell the truth & the medical examination wasn't that thorough.
Joe Kennedy was a political animal and very ambitious for his sons, it wouldn't have gone down well if JFK hadn't done military service because he'd failed the medical and far better have a war hero as a political candidate than one who hadn't served because he couldn't pass the medical, so I'm thinking its a fair bet he paid to,have a favourable medical report, after all, it's an open secret that he paid for votes to get him elected, he's reported to,have said, when he learned the size of the majority, that he could have saved himself several millions and not paid for so many votes.

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

Ralph wrote:
The Tick wrote:
AlcoholBrazil wrote:FDR was president in extraordinary circumstances. If Obama engineered a third term I can see the US having their third assassinated president.

:?

Obama seeking a third term?

Well of course he would if he thought he'd get away with it Ralph.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenty- ... nstitution
'"Beauty is truth, truth beauty,
That is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know".

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

Why can't people here understand that it's not a question of whether Killery could or could not cope with an illness in office - its a question of what the voters think about it.
No one knew about the illnesses of those past presidents by the way.
The thing is that Killery has been caught lying about her health and after all her old bollocks about bring the one who could stand up to terrorism , she visibly wilted whilst attending the 9/11 ceremony at a moment of what we might call national jingoism as well as grief.
No advertising man could have scripted a more effective visual impression and, rightly or wrongly that is now implanted into the minds of the public as much as the Marines raising the flag on Iwo jIma or the sailor kissing the girl on VE day. ( incidentally, that girl died yesterday aged 92)

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

In short, it's the effect it WILL have, not the effect which you or I might WANT it to have.

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

Mrs Thatch was deed fer most of her reign and it didnae stop her
Speaking for the rest of the forum since 2019

Hillman avenger

birdie wrote:
Ralph wrote:
birdie wrote:
Ralph wrote:
birdie wrote:
Ralph wrote:
birdie wrote:

Joe Kennedy was a political animal and very ambitious for his sons, it wouldn't have gone down well if JFK hadn't done military service because he'd failed the medical and far better have a war hero as a political candidate than one who hadn't served because he couldn't pass the medical, so I'm thinking its a fair bet he paid to,have a favourable medical report, after all, it's an open secret that he paid for votes to get him elected, he's reported to,have said, when he learned the size of the majority, that he could have saved himself several millions and not paid for so many votes.
It's true that Joe wanted a son as President, but it wasn't John. It was his older brother, who was killed in the war. John was reluctant to get into politics, but did so in the end. Joe did not buy votes..what he did, in the Boston district that John stood for, was to find somebody with the same name as John's opponent, did him favours to get him to stand and then banked on voters being confused by seeing the same name twice on the ballot. It worked. After that John did it on his own.

birdie

Post by birdie »

Royal24s wrote:Why can't people here understand that it's not a question of whether Killery could or could not cope with an illness in office - its a question of what the voters think about it.
The thing is that Killery has been caught lying about her health and after allher old bollocks about bring the one who could stand up to terrorism , she visibly wilted whilst attending the 9/11 ceremony at a moment of what we might call national jingoism as well as grief.
No advertising man could have scripted a more effective visual impression and, rightly or wrongly that is now implanted into the minds of the public as much as the Marines raising the flag on Iwo jIma or the sailor kissing the girl on VE day. ( incidentally, that girl died yesterday aged 92)
That's what makes me wonder if the internet speculation about her health may have some credence, after all, if they had just said that she had a chest infection, was on medication and would carry on there wouldn't go have been any fuss, it's the fact that they say it was on Friday that she was diagnosed and if she hadn't had that collapse they still wouldn't have said anything, instead they made up a story about 'overheating'.

paolo

Post by paolo »

Biden or Bernie to replace killery?

The loonies have pages of not dealing with the issue of her health
Poster of the Year

Respecting Democracy

Diversity is Genocide

Free Rodney Reed

Hillman avenger

You have a chest infection.
You are told to rest.
You don't.
It becomes pneumonia

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

birdie wrote:
Royal24s wrote:Why can't people here understand that it's not a question of whether Killery could or could not cope with an illness in office - its a question of what the voters think about it.
The thing is that Killery has been caught lying about her health and after allher old bollocks about bring the one who could stand up to terrorism , she visibly wilted whilst attending the 9/11 ceremony at a moment of what we might call national jingoism as well as grief.
That's what makes me wonder if the internet speculation about her health may have some credence, after all, if they had just said that she had a chest infection, was on medication and would carry on there wouldn't go have been any fuss, it's the fact that they say it was on Friday that she was diagnosed and if she hadn't had that collapse they still wouldn't have said anything, instead they made up a story about 'overheating'.
Yeah, they put out a statement saying she just felt a bit giddy but that reports that shed fallen over were untrue - then someone came up with mobile telephone footage of her falling down twice.
She's certainly lying, but that's normal for her. Someone else made the point that if she'd suddenly been hit with an unexpected collapse shed have gone to the hospital rather than her daughters flat .
I think it's harmed her case a lot, and it comes on the back of her major mistake the day before accusing millions of people who support Donald Trump of being racists - which is exactly what the labour, conservative and media twats did regarding UKIP voters and it had the opposite result to that which was intended. This will be the same.

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

Hillman avenger wrote:You have a chest infection.
You are told to rest.
You don't.
It becomes pneumonia
Thank you Dr Kildare, but that's bollocks.
It's a lung infection not a chest infection and it's often viral. It's possible for the bacterIa from a chest infection to infect the lungs, but it's by no means certain or even very likely.
It's about fluid collecting in the lungs, which is not going to automatically result from a chest infection, ( unless there's something wrong with your immune system of course )

paolo

Post by paolo »

I believe you only need a state of emergency in four states at the same time to invoke executive powers and martial law
Poster of the Year

Respecting Democracy

Diversity is Genocide

Free Rodney Reed

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

Hillman avenger wrote:
birdie wrote:
Ralph wrote:
birdie wrote:
Ralph wrote:
birdie wrote:
Ralph wrote:

It's true that Joe wanted a son as President, but it wasn't John. It was his older brother, who was killed in the war. John was reluctant to get into politics, but did so in the end. Joe did not buy votes..what he did, in the Boston district that John stood for, was to find somebody with the same name as John's opponent, did him favours to get him to stand and then banked on voters being confused by seeing the same name twice on the ballot. It worked. After that John did it on his own.
You make it sound so quaint. What a jolly man you make Joe Kennedy sound !
In fact he made his money out if bootlegging then bought the ambassadorship to London.
As well as being up to his neck in blood from organised crime, he was a keen nazi and, according to Winston Churchill, who had him replaced as ambassador , a German spy .

This perhaps explained Hoovers antipathy towards the whole family.

In fact, he bought New Hampshire through the mob, who did some pretty bad stuff to secure it, but promised them favours when the son was elected.
When he was , though, he snubbed Frank Sinatra and half the familia by failing to attend a victory party they'd laid on for him. His little brother was duly appointed Attorney General and instead of looking after them, went after the mob very hard.
Some think this was the motive for 22/11 but it's much more complicated than that of course. Certainly it led to their willing participation.
In short, Joe Kennedy was filth .

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

birdie wrote:
The Tick wrote:

Kennedy and FDR both functioned well as presidents while highly sick or disabled.

And with knowledge and hindsight of what happened yesteryear, today's voters don't Have to be so sceptical of candidates on account of them being less than 100% healthy.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

The Tick wrote: Kennedy and FDR both functioned well as presidents while highly sick or disabled.
Sorry, but that is bollocks. If you are truly sick then you don't function at all, certainly not at that level. Bouts of illness are different, but you can get through those with someone supporting or deputising.
Don't always believe what you think, because sometimes its' a load of shite

Hillman avenger

Royal24s wrote:
Hillman avenger wrote:
birdie wrote:
Ralph wrote:
birdie wrote:
Ralph wrote:
birdie wrote:

You make it sound so quaint. What a jolly man you make Joe Kennedy sound !
In fact he made his money out if bootlegging then bought the ambassadorship to London.
As well as being up to his neck in blood from organised crime, he was a keen nazi and, according to Winston Churchill, who had him replaced as ambassador , a German spy .

This perhaps explained Hoovers antipathy towards the whole family.

In fact, he bought New Hampshire through the mob, who did some pretty bad stuff to secure it, but promised them favours when the son was elected.
When he was , though, he snubbed Frank Sinatra and half the familia by failing to attend a victory party they'd laid on for him. His little brother was duly appointed Attorney General and instead of looking after them, went after the mob very hard.
Some think this was the motive for 22/11 but it's much more complicated than that of course. Certainly it led to their willing participation.
In short, Joe Kennedy was filth .
I wasn't speaking up for Joe Kennedy.
I was pointing out that the comment here was misleading.
BTW it was Massachusetts and the first political office JFK had was as a Representative for Massachusetts

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

Zambo wrote:
The Tick wrote: Kennedy and FDR both functioned well as presidents while highly sick or disabled.
Sorry, but that is bollocks. If you are truly sick then you don't function at all, certainly not at that level. Bouts of illness are different, but you can get through those with someone supporting or deputising.
And FDR and Kennedy managed.

Compared to them, hilary's ailments are minimal.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Depends what you call an illness and how debilitating it is. If you feel shit in yourself you can't function. Pain can me managed, collapsing due to ill health stops you in your tracks.
Don't always believe what you think, because sometimes its' a load of shite

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

One episode of illness can't define a person's overall health.

Hilary will be ok health wise.