Losing a pet

Friendly chat, will be moderated if necessary.
Chris

Losing a pet

Post by Chris »

Ever had a pet put to sleep? Even when you know it’s the right thing to do, that your pet will no longer be suffering, it’s horrible having to let them go, isn’t it?

Today I looked on as Stein was put to sleep. He was 14. Deansie, our other dog who was 13, the dog in my avatar, was put to sleep four weeks ago today. Both gone in the space of four weeks.

Stein, who had a long and happy life, wasn’t in good health. As well as arthritis, the old soul had cancer and was bleeding from his back passage. His breathing was poor and, since Deansie’s death, he seemed out of sorts. He had, after all, lost his best friend when Deansie went.

He'd also lost his master, my dad, in 2010, and, truth is, Stein was never quite the same dog after my dad died. He still had Deansie, he still had us, but he didn't have my dad and it was from then that, slowly but surely, his health began to deteriorate.

Stein was a Labrador/Collie cross, very intelligent and easy to train. He was a placid big dog who enjoyed chasing after a ball in the back garden or going for long walks. When younger he would walk for miles.

I’d hoped he’d make it to Christmas but it wasn’t to be. This will be the first Christmas since 1999 when we haven’t had dogs in the house, so we’ve decided to go to my sister’s house on Christmas Day. Not having our boys sitting beside the dinner table, hoping to secure a piece of turkey for themselves, would feel strange. It would also be upsetting.

Not nice seeing a dog you love die in front of you, however it was for the best. He’s now in a better place.

Rest in peace, Stein. We loved you and we’ll miss you.

Stein (Oct 2000 - Nov 2014)

Deansie and Stein. Our boys. Both dead.
Last edited by Chris on Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Signature

carcinogen

Re: Losing a pet (our other dog's dead)

Post by carcinogen »

ChrisO wrote:Ever had a pet put to sleep? Even when you know it’s the right thing to do, that your pet will no longer be suffering, it’s horrible having to let them go, isn’t it?
It's fucking shite. I fucking hate it. But it's for the best and you should focus on the wonderful memories the pet gave you.
Fred Kite: I've got to be off. I can't stay here arguing. I've got a lot to do. Report to the Executive, check up on the pickets.
Mrs. Kite: From what I can see, the only time you ever jolly well *do* any work is when you're on strike.

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

Pets bring such joy. And such heartbreaking pain. Rest in peace the pair of them Chris.
Speaking for the rest of the forum since 2019

subsub

Post by subsub »

Very sorry to hear that, Chris.

Saying goodbye to a much-loved pet is a horrible thing to do.
The one saving grace you can take is that if they're suffering, you are doing the right thing.

Take care :)
SIX-TIME CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE

m4 colin

Post by m4 colin »

I've been there so many times my friend, You have my deepest sympathy. Its obvious you loved them both a great deal
and gave them a great life Consider the words of Dean Koontz " A God who wouldnt allow you to be re united with your pets in the next life Wouldnt be worth worshiping at all
I heard gods fast but I'd have to go up against him before I believe it

Reg

Post by Reg »

Chris, I know what it's like (the death part), and it seems ridiculous to those who don't have pets they love.

I can't rationalise it, but I think it is a profound sign of humanity.
BE NICE TO EACH OTHER.

IF YOU CAN’T SAY SOMETHING KIND, SAY NOTHING AT ALL.

LET’S MAKE talkFORUM FUN AGAIN!

AlcoholBrazil

Post by AlcoholBrazil »

RIP Stein
When you have a pet as a companion for a kid, it may be worth considering the life-span .
My neice's dog had about 14 years, but her kids were about 8 , and it's horrible to explain to children where their
beloved pet (and family member) has gone. Adults can compute it.

Still think Deansie has super-hero powers that the government doesn't know about.
Boris " Do not look at what I am doing, Look how cute and adorable Dilyn is.....Look at Dilyn ! "

blues4ever

Post by blues4ever »

Very sorry to hear the news Chris.

It's always a long sad journey to the vets on that sorry day.

Take care.

Tind

Post by Tind »

I'm really sorry learn about your loss Chris. At least Stein and Deansie are no longer suffering. Lovely photos.

Peace and Love

Minisooms

Post by Minisooms »

We had to our cat put down a few weeks ago my other half was in bits , bursting into tears for days after ,he said to me at one point I'm more upset than when your brother died ! That's ok though my brother didn't sit on his lap and follow him round the house for 6 years , sorry for your loss Chris it's very hard are you getting another ?
If you think this has a happy ending you haven't been paying attention

Kowalski

Post by Kowalski »

Sorry for you loss Chris. RIP Stein.

My parents had their one of their cats put down 6 weeks back, it was horrible but he had lived till 19 which is an amazing age for a cat. They still have her sister who is the same age, I'm going to be in bits when she dies, she's a lovely cat.

Chris

Post by Chris »

Thanks to all those who took the time to post in this thread. I appreciate your kind words. Thanks also to those who, as well as posting kind words, shared their own experiences of having a pet put to sleep. We know it's for the best but it's still upsetting.

Minisooms wrote:We had to our cat put down a few weeks ago my other half was in bits , bursting into tears for days after ,he said to me at one point I'm more upset than when your brother died ! That's ok though my brother didn't sit on his lap and follow him round the house for 6 years , sorry for your loss Chris it's very hard are you getting another ?

Minisooms, I have a dog. He's a ten-year-old Staffie cross named Charlie (pic below). Stein and Deansie used to belong to me but I moved house so mum and dad took them on. However, I returned to the village I'm in at present after a few years. Mum's house is just a few hundred yards from my own house, meaning I saw Stein and Deansie every day.

After my dad died of a heart attack in 2010, mum, who isn't in good health, required more help with the dogs so I popped down to her house each day to walk and feed Stein and Deansie. I was there several days a week even when dad was alive; in fact I did it even after I moved away because I loved the dogs and it was good to help out mum and dad.

Charlie is lucky to be alive, btw. He was hit by a truck about 6 years ago, a truck that didn't stop, and his head took the full impact. Luckily Charlie has a big, powerful head on him and although he was at the vets for two days and it was touch-and-go as to whether or not he'd survive, my prayers were answered and Charlie pulled through.

Erm, divert your gaze from mum's dilapidated fence (I'll have it looking good next year). Instead focus on Charlie :). He's a great dog, btw.

Signature

delboy1983

Post by delboy1983 »

Chris very sad for your loss . Pets grab you emotionally. Have a cat nearing 20 now deteriorating fast and the whole family are dreading the inevitable. :(
We're just two lost souls
Swimming in a fish bowl
Year after year

Chris

Post by Chris »

delboy1953 wrote:Chris very sad for your loss . Pets grab you emotionally. Have a cat nearing 20 now deteriorating fast and the whole family are dreading the inevitable. :(
Thanks, del.

Your cat is 20? That's a long life, del.
Signature

delboy1983

Post by delboy1983 »

ChrisO wrote:
delboy1953 wrote:Chris very sad for your loss . Pets grab you emotionally. Have a cat nearing 20 now deteriorating fast and the whole family are dreading the inevitable. :(
Thanks, del.

Yeah we can be grateful for here longevity but when she does go it will be a huge loss
We're just two lost souls
Swimming in a fish bowl
Year after year

Chris

Post by Chris »

delboy1953 wrote:
ChrisO wrote:
Thanks, del.

Yeah we can be grateful for here longevity but when she does go it will be a huge loss
I understand, del.
Signature

Minisooms

Post by Minisooms »

I see Chris , he looks a lovely boy :)
If you think this has a happy ending you haven't been paying attention

andyrich666

Post by andyrich666 »

I have a staff he is 13, Tyson, often he has been my Avatar, not long ago I bought a french bulldog puppy, I did not want too because Tyson is my life, but I met this girl on Badoo and we met up and so on....she thought I was a bit strange not having any family and just a dog and I went on about the dog so much, she kind of thought I might top myself if my dog died, not sure if I gave that impression, then she kept on about how much she loved frenchies, I thought get one and maybe she will move in, so I did I found a spitting image of Tyson but a frenchy, I bought it and for the couple of months I did not quite like him cos Tyson is my dog, but over time I love him to death he is 8 months now and I think maybe when Tyson goes which I do not think will be long, I now have something else that needs me around.

They look cute together but they do fight, Hooch (the frenchie) is a bully, and quite mad for what is normally a docile animal, he is everything but.........IU do not see him as Tysons replacement and I always said I would never get another dog while Tyson is around, but I did it for the wrong reasons. There is a jealousy problem with Tyson, he has started to do something I am horrified about.....but that#s for another day

I have better pictures but I do not want to log onto facebook today, BTW I also lost 2 dogs before this, one I had to watch being put down and it was no different to when the NHS put my mum down, I had the same stomach churning sadness !

subsub

Post by subsub »

Sorry to hear that, del.

19 is a very long innings for a cat, but doesn't make it any less upsetting when the inevitable happens.
SIX-TIME CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE

Chris

Post by Chris »

andyrich666 wrote:I have a staff he is 13, Tyson, often he has been my Avatar, not long ago I bought a french bulldog puppy, I did not want too because Tyson is my life, but I met this girl on Badoo and we met up and so on....she thought I was a bit strange not having any family and just a dog and I went on about the dog so much, she kind of thought I might top myself if my dog died, not sure if I gave that impression, then she kept on about how much she loved frenchies, I thought get one and maybe she will move in, so I did I found a spitting image of Tyson but a frenchy, I bought it and for the couple of months I did not quite like him cos Tyson is my dog, but over time I love him to death he is 8 months now and I think maybe when Tyson goes which I do not think will be long, I now have something else that needs me around.

They look cute together but they do fight, Hooch (the frenchie) is a bully, and quite mad for what is normally a docile animal, he is everything but.........IU do not see him as Tysons replacement and I always said I would never get another dog while Tyson is around, but I did it for the wrong reasons. There is a jealousy problem with Tyson, he has started to do something I am horrified about.....but that#s for another day

I have better pictures but I do not want to log onto facebook today, BTW I also lost 2 dogs before this, one I had to watch being put down and it was no different to when the NHS put my mum down, I had the same stomach churning sadness !

Good post.

Your staff looks like Deansie. My neighbour recently got himself a French Bulldog. It's OK with me but when I pass it in the street with Charlie the bulldog goes nuts. Seems very aggressive.

Deansie.

Edit: Hooch looks cute, andyrich666.
Last edited by Chris on Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Signature

Reg

Post by Reg »

I've never seen a dog wearing trousers before. 8)
BE NICE TO EACH OTHER.

IF YOU CAN’T SAY SOMETHING KIND, SAY NOTHING AT ALL.

LET’S MAKE talkFORUM FUN AGAIN!

Chris

Post by Chris »

Reg wrote:Image

I've never seen a dog wearing trousers before. 8)
8)
Signature

m4 colin

Post by m4 colin »

andyrich666 wrote:I have a staff he is 13, Tyson, often he has been my Avatar, not long ago I bought a french bulldog puppy, I did not want too because Tyson is my life, but I met this girl on Badoo and we met up and so on....she thought I was a bit strange not having any family and just a dog and I went on about the dog so much, she kind of thought I might top myself if my dog died, not sure if I gave that impression, then she kept on about how much she loved frenchies, I thought get one and maybe she will move in, so I did I found a spitting image of Tyson but a frenchy, I bought it and for the couple of months I did not quite like him cos Tyson is my dog, but over time I love him to death he is 8 months now and I think maybe when Tyson goes which I do not think will be long, I now have something else that needs me around.

I always have pairs of dogs . there is always competition ,the younger dog always bullies the older dog, you are right
to have several years between the younger and older dog, the closer they are in age the worse the fighting
if you have litter brothers or even worse sisters they will fight like hell every time you are not there sometimes castrating the more submissive of the pair may help but beware I have known it make things much worse (You'd be pissed off if someone stole your bollocks wouldnt you !)
I heard gods fast but I'd have to go up against him before I believe it

Chris

Post by Chris »

Buddy - a friend's dog. Good looker and clever.

Signature

blues4ever

Post by blues4ever »

ChrisO wrote:Buddy - a friend's dog. Good looker and clever.

lol, im a spaniel man but they look like lovely staffies.
as we all know, its the owners not the dogs :D