Driving Lessons

Friendly chat, will be moderated if necessary.
fattmaude

Driving Lessons

Post by fattmaude »

Yes, earlier this week I partook in my first ever driving lesson. My man was the spit of Fabio Capello and was a hard taskmaster with it. As a total amateur in an automobile I was proud to say I finished my lesson able to start the car,
turn a few corners and change from first to second without stalling once.

I start this thread asking for advice. How do you make the most of your driving lesson? It's a dear business and time is money. So any general tips or guidance to how I can get the 'finish line' will be greatly appreciated.

As a caveat I would also like to know how many times it took you to pass your test. Thanks in advance.
Fordey 3:16

The One Amigo

Sadact7

Re: Driving Lessons

Post by Sadact7 »

fattmaude wrote:Yes, earlier this week I partook in my first ever driving lesson. My man was the spit of Fabio Capello and was a hard taskmaster with it. As a total amateur in an automobile I was proud to say I finished my lesson able to start the car,

I start this thread asking for advice. How do you make the most of your driving lesson? It's a dear business and time is money. So any general tips or guidance to how I can get the 'finish line' will be greatly appreciated.

As a caveat I would also like to know how many times it took you to pass your test. Thanks in advance.
Impressive stuff Maude. On my first lesson I moved the car backwards and forward a few feet.

Passed on my third attempt after two close failures. Thought I would never pass and when they said "I'm pleased to say you have passed" I told them to fuck off as I thought they were joking :)
I was bummed by the ghost of Liberace

Sid Pervcat

Post by Sid Pervcat »

Mods.
Move this to open chat.
I released the blob must to my darkest dread

But its mint choc chip which is the ice cream flavour of Satan's spermatozoa

Careful now, you’re being beastly to Leado and this canno he totlerated.

About to get underway at the Berbabeu

blues4ever

Post by blues4ever »

fattmaude wrote:Yes, earlier this week I partook in my first ever driving lesson. My man was the spit of Fabio Capello and was a hard taskmaster with it. As a total amateur in an automobile I was proud to say I finished my lesson able to start the car,

Lol , how old are you and I'm not taking the piss ?

blues4ever

Post by blues4ever »

Sadact7 wrote:

Impressive stuff Maude. On my first lesson I moved the car backwards and forward a few feet.

Passed on my third attempt after two close failures. Thought I would never pass and when they said "I'm pleased to say you have passed" I told them to fuck off as I thought they were joking :)
That's why the m25 is closed every time you come down to price a job :lol: :)

fattmaude

Post by fattmaude »

blues4ever wrote:

26 mate.

The One Amigo

Sadact7

Post by Sadact7 »

blues4ever wrote:
Sadact7 wrote:

That's why the m25 is closed every time you come down to price a job :lol: :)
Nah, that'll be the road rage :)

Sadact7

Post by Sadact7 »

fattmaude wrote:
blues4ever wrote:

26 mate.
Good luck Maude

lasharoo

Post by lasharoo »

Sadact7 wrote:
fattmaude wrote:
blues4ever wrote:

26 mate.
Good luck Maude
+1

The best bit of advice I can give you Maude is practice practice practice, have you got a chum with a motor who wouldn't mind taking you out to a quietish spot like an industrial estate on a weekend so you can have a drive? The more time behind the wheel you have the more comfortable you will get. All the best with it.
'This is all your doing, Lash, no one else'

blues4ever

Post by blues4ever »

fattmaude wrote:
blues4ever wrote:

26 mate.
Ok assuming this isn't a wind up,
I passed 1st time aged 18 manual gears, that was 32 years ago,
Both my daughters managed to pass one took 3 goes the other 4 , both manual gears, cost me a small fortune.

Now both my cars are auto, makes you a lazy driver, I have select manual in the RR and I do it now and again nice to do 120 on the m20 when no other traffic around :lol:

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

Cars are total cunt mat m8. Don't be part of the problem bro
Speaking for the rest of the forum since 2019

beingsoblase

Post by beingsoblase »

i passed first time aged 21, at a time when all my mates were also learning to drive, out of all of us i was the third one to take my test and both the previous lads had passed first time so no pressure there!
a couple of things that may or may not be helpful maude, i had been driving a 50 cc deathtrap trials bike for about a year and a half before i took driving lessons, which gave me some limited experience of driving, but if you're taking lessons already this won't be much help.
also, attitude. when i took my test (on march 3rd 1986 12.30!) my attitude was that the examiner wasn't going to give me a test, i was going to give him a faultless driving lesson!
"Stop drinking on an empty stomach and tweeting on an empty head, you fucking booze-addled halfwit."

paninaro

Post by paninaro »

Passed first time at 17

Steve Hunt
Winner POTY - 2010 !!!!

Post by Steve Hunt »

fattmaude wrote:
blues4ever wrote:

26 mate.

Why did you leave it so long, maude?

I have always thought it as one of those things you get over and done with as soon as you can (almost a rite of passage). My first lesson was day after my 17th birthday. Passed first time (though god knows how, was nowhere near competent at the time).

I will urge my girls to learn to drive as soon as they hit 17. Get it over and done with & have more freedom.
If Arsenal were playing in my back garden, I would draw the curtains.

ENIC OUT

https://www.smava.de/european-debt-clock/

therealHJ

Post by therealHJ »

If you can book three full days straight, much better than doing an hour once or twice a week and you will be ready for your test at the end of it.

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

I took abour 2 years and 3 tests to pass mine at the age of 29. I was pretty much nagged into it by my ex as I had and have little interest in cars or driving. And of course just months after I passed we split up (she took her car,naturally) and I havent driven since. I've let my licence expire years ago and have absolutely no intention of doing the test again.
Proud Gammon

RIP Neil Peart 1952-2020.

AlcoholBrazil

Post by AlcoholBrazil »

My biggest regret was handing in my paper licence for the photo one,to add another vehicle class.
I've got to renew the bastard every 10 years , instead of when I'm 70. Each at over £20 a pop. Cunts!
Boris " Do not look at what I am doing, Look how cute and adorable Dilyn is.....Look at Dilyn ! "

Sadact7

Post by Sadact7 »

AlcoholBrazil wrote:My biggest regret was handing in my paper licence for the photo one,to add another vehicle class.
I've got to renew the bastard every 10 years , instead of when I'm 70. Each at over £20 a pop. Cunts!
Everybody has to renew every ten years mate

carcinogen

Post by carcinogen »

I passed second time. I thought I performed far better in the first test. However, the first test was taken in my driving instructors piece of shit car and the second was in my Fathers car, which was much nicer. Maybe try to borrow a nice motor for when the test comes around. :)
Fred Kite: I've got to be off. I can't stay here arguing. I've got a lot to do. Report to the Executive, check up on the pickets.
Mrs. Kite: From what I can see, the only time you ever jolly well *do* any work is when you're on strike.

fattmaude

Post by fattmaude »

Steve Hunt wrote:
fattmaude wrote:
blues4ever wrote:

26 mate.

Why did you leave it so long, maude?

I have always thought it as one of those things you get over and done with as soon as you can (almost a rite of passage). My first lesson was day after my 17th birthday. Passed first time (though god knows how, was nowhere near competent at the time).

I will urge my girls to learn to drive as soon as they hit 17. Get it over and done with & have more freedom.
To be frank, I don't like to leave Yorkshire mate. The years pass however and new urges grow so I'd like very much to be able to take a drive to haunts of long past, namely our glorious East Coast and the Lakes (and maybe take in Matt's stint at Edinburgh 2015 if time allows ;) )

I have 10 hours so far under my belt, and have set up a timetable with my man whereby I take two, two hour lessons per week fitted around work. He's rather impatient for my liking though and I actually called him out on this as I mistakenly changed into the wrong gear at a junction. He seemed furious so I let him know in no uncertain terms that I am paying him a pretty penny for his time so he should put a sock in it, naturally he backed down and is now determined to let me learn at my own pace. I am not the most coordinated so footwork has been an issue, also I have a habit of veering to the left as not to hit any oncoming vehicles. I seemingly am yet to be able to judge perfectly the centre of the road. This has caused quite a bit of grief between me and my instructer, but I hope to iron these mistakes out in the coming weeks. On the whole I am thoroughly enjoying the experience of driving.

Cheers for the other words of encouragement lads, I shall update this thread as I progress towards my test.

The One Amigo

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

You sound like a right fucking shit driver in the making maude. Never mind though it might be a blessing in disguise. You might see Forde on your travels. If you do , don't try driving round him unless you've got plenty of petrol in the tank, just run the cunt over instead.

fattmaude

Post by fattmaude »

m4rkb wrote:You sound like a right fucking shit driver in the making maude. Never mind though it might be a blessing in disguise. You might see Forde on your travels. If you do , don't try driving round him unless you've got plenty of petrol in the tank, just run the cunt over instead.
Oh my days. Take your nasty jibes back to digispy mate. Nobody here is impressed.

The One Amigo

Sadact7

Post by Sadact7 »

Good luck Maude. Stick at it, it'll come

fattmaude

Post by fattmaude »

Sadact7 wrote:Good luck Maude. Stick at it, it'll come
Cheers mate.

As it happens my brother owns a used car dealership so I shall be soon insured on one of his motors, allowing me to go for a spin with him as I continue to learn the ropes. £40 for two hours (though probably a fair price) is a hell of a lot to be forking out twice a week.

The One Amigo

Sadact7

Post by Sadact7 »

Good luck mate. Tbf I was paying 20 quid an hour about 10 years ago so that's a fair deal. Just watch out though as some instructors, like my first one, care so much about their precious first time pass percentage that they hold back perfectly competent drivers until they're essentially a guaranteed pass. This often earns them £200 more from each student.

Stick to your guns when you feel you're ready for the test