I've got asthma :-(

Friendly chat, will be moderated if necessary.
Reg

Re: I've got asthma :-(

Post by Reg »

TGOAH 15K wrote:Eliminate grains from your diet, no indoor plants, pets or soft furnishings, get plenty of sleep, plenty of sun (no sunscreen), buy a vitamix, meditate, lift heavy and cunt cunts. The usual stuff.
The local cats will be in trouble. :|
BE NICE TO EACH OTHER.

IF YOU CAN’T SAY SOMETHING KIND, SAY NOTHING AT ALL.

LET’S MAKE talkFORUM FUN AGAIN!

Steve Hunt
Winner POTY - 2010 !!!!

Post by Steve Hunt »

Reg wrote:
TGOAH 15K wrote:Eliminate grains from your diet, no indoor plants, pets or soft furnishings, get plenty of sleep, plenty of sun (no sunscreen), buy a vitamix, meditate, lift heavy and cunt cunts. The usual stuff.
The local cats will be in trouble. :|
I don't think many exist around Colin's neighbourhood, tbf
If Arsenal were playing in my back garden, I would draw the curtains.

ENIC OUT

https://www.smava.de/european-debt-clock/

colinthewarriormonkey

Post by colinthewarriormonkey »

TGOAH 15K wrote:
colinthewarriormonkey wrote:
TGOAH 15K wrote:There are a few sulphite-free wines out there but it's an under-served market
I suppose I could seek them out, but to be honest it's a good excuse to knock it on the head for a bit anyway.
Will make the biggest difference of all. I need to do a Lash and quit but this brancott sauv blanc is simply too fruity
It's the best one on the market.

If you have a majestic near you, buy yourself some Bouvet for christmas, crisp, clean, full of bubbles and quite honestly better than any champagne I've ever tasted. The usually sell out within days of getting it in, so you may have to try a few times, but at £9.00 a bottle, it's a fucking steal.
"The Cunt's Cunt."

"One desperate shithouse"

colinthewarriormonkey

TGOAH 15K wrote:Col I got it - poppers, leather and a steamy sauna. The combo will clear that shit STAT
Good advice

I'll head on down to Brighton tomorrow.
"The Cunt's Cunt."

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

TGOAH 15K wrote:
TGOAH 15K wrote:There are a few sulphite-free wines out there but it's an under-served market
I suppose I could seek them out, but to be honest it's a good excuse to knock it on the head for a bit anyway.
Will make the biggest difference of all. I need to do a Lash and quit but this brancott sauv blanc is simply too fruity

If you have a majestic near you, buy yourself some Bouvet for christmas, crisp, clean, full of bubbles and quite honestly better than any champagne I've ever tasted. The usually sell out within days of getting it in, so you may have to try a few times, but at £9.00 a bottle, it's a fucking steal.
I'm on it. Will report back.
Speaking for the rest of the forum since 2019

colinthewarriormonkey

Steve Hunt wrote:
colinthewarriormonkey wrote:Just been diagnosed with "late onset asthma" and been told that I will be on inhalers for the rest of my life.

Fuck that!

When I was at school asthma was for girls and poofs, I am neither
That is debateable, to put it mildly.

Seriously though, sorry to hear this, colin.
I'm having tests for exactly the same thing. Had to do all the breathing tests (into a computer the size of an ipad) on Monday. Now got to have chest x-rays. Already been given an inhaler.

Its a pisser, but it is not the end of the world, colin. You will adjust.

Fuck me, it could have been a whole lot worse, it's a minor inconvenience is all.

I was surprised that you could get it later in life, but I am an awkward sod (not that anyone on here would have noticed, as I have a pleasant demeanour at all times :wink: ) and I'm not giving in to a life on inhalers without a fucking good fight.

The very worst it can do is make me fitter.

Bought one of these intitially for my boy (the one who had been bullied at school - I'll start a seperate thread)

And I now use it every day, and spend 5 minutes in the morning giving it a good pummelling, a fabulous work out, really gets the lungs going, I can feel the strength building in my arms, but it must release some kind of endorphin that I don't get from exercise, because I get a real buzz out of it.

Best 50 quid I've ever spent (even comes with the gloves)

"The Cunt's Cunt."

colinthewarriormonkey

TGOAH 15K wrote:
TGOAH 15K wrote:

I'm on it. Will report back.
You won't regret it, fucking awesome stuff.
"The Cunt's Cunt."

Thursty

Post by Thursty »

TGOAH 15K wrote:Col I got it - poppers, leather and a steamy sauna. The combo will clear that shit STAT
Sounds like a wheeze.
the smoke gets in your eyes
run the exhaust back inside
close the window and take a ride
i've got a place to go
there's nowhere to hide

Shedboy

Post by Shedboy »

colinthewarriormonkey wrote:When I was at school asthma was for girls and poofs, I am neither so I'm not having it...Anyway - any tips ?
Having had asthma for over 50 years, I wasn't going to give you any tips after that remark but having your death on my conscience wouldn't be a nice thing. :)

Anyway, the main thing is to ensure you take your preventative inhalers as prescribed and not only take them now and again. Check your peak flow readings regularly and agree with your doctor what your lowest reading should be before you should seek help from your surgery.

I'm allergic to shitloads of things including pollen, dust mites, dogs, cats and horses. I've had dogs and cats, like gardening and have ridden horses all with no side effects (at least not for me. The horses were probably glad when I dismounted). In my opinion, it's all about controlling your condition and not letting it control you. The only thing my asthma has prevented me doing in my life is joining the RAF as it caused me to fail the medical.

Regarding the preventative inhalers, I've used Intal, Flixotide, Pulmicort and some thing else whose name I can't remember but they were never much cope. I still had to use my Ventolin reliever several times every day. A few years ago, I was given a new inhaler called Seretide as part of an asthma and allergy study drug trial I often participate in and the result was incredible. After a few weeks of the drug building up in my system, my breathing tests had improved remarkably and the the study doctors contacted my GP to advise I should be prescribed it.
Since then, I very rarely use my Ventolin reliever and in my mind Seretide is a wonder drug.

subsub

Post by subsub »

When I started going for longer runs a few years back, my breathing got really bad.
Woke up one morning in December, and felt like I couldn't breathe properly - was fucking scary, actually.

But doctor told me lots of people get 'seasonal asthma' (ie only when it's really cold outside), so I got an inhaler, and had a puff or two every time my throat felt a bit tight.

But haven't used it for at least three years, so must have cleared up.
I do think living in a clean house helps - if you have pets, you must hoover regularly, because even short-haired cats shed a heck of a lot of fur, which can make the condition worse.

As others have said on here, it is a pain to carry an inhaler around with you, but what's the alternative? And actually, it's such a quick thing to do, it's not nearly as inconvenient as other conditions that involve jabbing yourself twice a day etc
SIX-TIME CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE

Shedboy

Post by Shedboy »

subsub wrote:if you have pets, you must hoover regularly, because even short-haired cats shed a heck of a lot of fur, which can make the condition worse.
When I wasn't controlling my condition properly and just relying on my Ventolin, I never had problems with long haired dogs and cats but the short haired ones always were murder. Strange, isn't it.

colinthewarriormonkey

Shedboy wrote:
colinthewarriormonkey wrote:When I was at school asthma was for girls and poofs, I am neither so I'm not having it...Anyway - any tips ?
Having had asthma for over 50 years, I wasn't going to give you any tips after that remark but having your death on my conscience wouldn't be a nice thing. :)

Anyway, the main thing is to ensure you take your preventative inhalers as prescribed and not only take them now and again. Check your peak flow readings regularly and agree with your doctor what your lowest reading should be before you should seek help from your surgery.

I'm allergic to shitloads of things including pollen, dust mites, dogs, cats and horses. I've had dogs and cats, like gardening and have ridden horses all with no side effects (at least not for me. The horses were probably glad when I dismounted). In my opinion, it's all about controlling your condition and not letting it control you. The only thing my asthma has prevented me doing in my life is joining the RAF as it caused me to fail the medical.

Regarding the preventative inhalers, I've used Intal, Flixotide, Pulmicort and some thing else whose name I can't remember but they were never much cope. I still had to use my Ventolin reliever several times every day. A few years ago, I was given a new inhaler called Seretide as part of an asthma and allergy study drug trial I often participate in and the result was incredible. After a few weeks of the drug building up in my system, my breathing tests had improved remarkably and the the study doctors contacted my GP to advise I should be prescribed it.
Since then, I very rarely use my Ventolin reliever and in my mind Seretide is a wonder drug.
Cheers Shedboy

I've got the dustmite covers for my bedding now, and am gradually giving the house a deep clean - Sulphides are the real killer for me. It became massively apparent on my holiday when I was drinking the inclusive cheap wine and started wheezing like nobody's business afterward.

I must say, I'm looking forward to starting on my preventer tomorrow (the doc want's me to keep a peak flow diary for a week without it)

But I will keep striving to eventually be rid of it.

Looking back, I think I've had this creeping up on me for years.
"The Cunt's Cunt."

colinthewarriormonkey

subsub wrote:When I started going for longer runs a few years back, my breathing got really bad.
Woke up one morning in December, and felt like I couldn't breathe properly - was fucking scary, actually.

But doctor told me lots of people get 'seasonal asthma' (ie only when it's really cold outside), so I got an inhaler, and had a puff or two every time my throat felt a bit tight.

But haven't used it for at least three years, so must have cleared up.
I do think living in a clean house helps - if you have pets, you must hoover regularly, because even short-haired cats shed a heck of a lot of fur, which can make the condition worse.

As others have said on here, it is a pain to carry an inhaler around with you, but what's the alternative? And actually, it's such a quick thing to do, it's not nearly as inconvenient as other conditions that involve jabbing yourself twice a day etc
I don't have pets, but now I'm looking for dust I can't believe how much I've allowed to build up in places I don't normally look, like behind the sofa.
"The Cunt's Cunt."

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

Shedboy wrote:
subsub wrote:if you have pets, you must hoover regularly, because even short-haired cats shed a heck of a lot of fur, which can make the condition worse.
When I wasn't controlling my condition properly and just relying on my Ventolin, I never had problems with long haired dogs and cats but the short haired ones always were murder. Strange, isn't it.
Long haired cats and dogs dont cast, or at least dont cast nearly as much as short haired ones for some reason.
Proud Gammon

RIP Neil Peart 1952-2020.

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

Is there anyone who posts on here who isn't about to drop down dead with something or other?

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

Until i was 48 in the 10 years prior i was at the doctors only once and never had a hospital stay. In the 4 years since then I've been in hospital twice and im at the doctors at least every 5 or 6 months. Three times in the last 6 months too.
Proud Gammon

RIP Neil Peart 1952-2020.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

m4rkb wrote:Is there anyone who posts on here who isn't about to drop down dead with something or other?

Don't always believe what you think, because sometimes its' a load of shite

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

Zambo wrote:
m4rkb wrote:Is there anyone who posts on here who isn't about to drop down dead with something or other?

I guess it's just you and me then Zambo. If I drop dead before you remember to turn the light out on your way out. :D

Steve Hunt
Winner POTY - 2010 !!!!

Post by Steve Hunt »

Basualdo wrote:Until i was 48 in the 10 years prior i was at the doctors only once and never had a hospital stay. In the 4 years since then I've been in hospital twice and im at the doctors at least every 5 or 6 months. Three times in the last 6 months too.

Same with me, Bas.

48 was the turning point. Never been 100% since :(
If Arsenal were playing in my back garden, I would draw the curtains.

ENIC OUT

https://www.smava.de/european-debt-clock/

Apples99

Post by Apples99 »

I got adult inset asthma around the age of 23. During exercise I literally couldn't breathe and was diagnosed with asthma and given steroid and Ventolin inhalers to take which I have taken ever since.

Since having Asthma I(I'm now 44) have run a few half marathons, 10k's and still play squash to county standard. Take the medicine prescribed by the doctor and carry on with your life.

Has anyone tried the medical trials that you get paid for?

Petingo

Post by Petingo »

colinthewarriormonkey wrote:Just been diagnosed with "late onset asthma" and been told that I will be on inhalers for the rest of my life.

Fuck that!

When I was at school asthma was for girls and poofs, I am neither so I'm not having it.

Done a lot of reading up in the last couple of days and am going to take every measure I can to beat this thing.

This is going to include dropping 12 kilos of weight, giving up booze and changing my diet. Additives can cause it so I've already binned every piece of processed food. I've been to the gym twice in the last 2 days and bought a punchbag to exercise at home.

Dust mites are getting taken care of with anti allergen duvet and pillow covers (worked a fucking treat, the best nights sleep I've had in a long time, I usually wake up a few times in the night having coughing fits.

Anyway - any tips ?
Knock the gym on the head.....asthma sufferers aren't cut out for that there kinda crap.

Gentle exercise is what y'all need.....walking and a bit of swimming.

If you have any carpets in your house....get them out to fuck.

Wooden floors or tiled ones....that's what you want.

Don't lay in bed too long.....four hours, tops.

When you lay down the fluid starts gathering in yer lungs and that is what is exacerbating them coffin fits.

Go to your local Chest, Heart and Lung centre and get them to show you how to do Postural Drainage.....it will take up an hour of your day but it will clear your airways.

And don't be so macho over the inhalers, Col.....they might just save your life.

Believe me, fighting for breath during a severe asthma attack makes one appreciate life when breathing is relatively normal.

Ask your doctor fir the Symbicort inhaler.....of' Pet swears by them.

Good luck, pal.....it's a nasty arl disease.
Alex Young, Howard Kendall, Andy King, Timmy Cahill, Dixie Dean and Mike Parry.....we'll never see the likes of them again.

subsub

Post by subsub »

Petingo wrote:Don't lay in bed too long.....four hours, tops.
Aye aye, Maggie T's in...

Thursty

Post by Thursty »

subsub wrote:
Petingo wrote:Don't lay in bed too long.....four hours, tops.
Aye aye, Maggie T's in...
Anything longer than four hours in the sack just doesn't fit with Ol Pet's busy schedule. #314notout
the smoke gets in your eyes
run the exhaust back inside
close the window and take a ride
i've got a place to go
there's nowhere to hide

Petingo

Post by Petingo »

Exactly :)
Alex Young, Howard Kendall, Andy King, Timmy Cahill, Dixie Dean and Mike Parry.....we'll never see the likes of them again.

subsub

Post by subsub »

Thursty wrote:#314notout
:?:

Wassis, Pet?