Chappers

Music, TV, movies, anything else media not Talksport related
Lou Grant

Re: Chappers

Post by Lou Grant »

I remember Bob when he was a dude on local radio in Kent - he was the replacement for Caesar the Geezer when he went to a rival local station. Bob had a weekly feature called Ballard's Back Yard (oo er, missus) which was written by someone who played a minor character in Eastenders - I don't remember what the feature consisted of, but the name always stuck in my mind.

It was all a very long time ago and we must all have been so much younger then. He was not sports in those days. I've always liked Bob because he's been there throughout my life, if only as a most peripheral figure.
Come for the rampant misogyny, stay for the tedious bitching

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Lou Grant wrote:I remember Bob when he was a dude on local radio in Kent - he was the replacement for Caesar the Geezer when he went to a rival local station. Bob had a weekly feature called Ballard's Back Yard (oo er, missus) which was written by someone who played a minor character in Eastenders - I don't remember what the feature consisted of, but the name always stuck in my mind.

It was all a very long time ago and we must all have been so much younger then. He was not sports in those days. I've always liked Bob because he's been there throughout my life, if only as a most peripheral figure.
Lovely tales and old Talk Radio related with Caeser, whom I thought was shite, but did not like much of the old TR. You probably know big Bob Ballard is a homosexualist.
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Carlos J wrote:
kancutlawns wrote:He's got a smart, rural look, with a well trimmed beard and an approachable manner. I like Chappers.
He looks like a drunk who stumbled into the beachside studio. And broadcasts like one as well.
This is true.
Please don't hoover up all the bollocks for yourself. Leave some for others.

Two Crows

Post by Two Crows »

kancutlawns wrote:
finchman wrote:Who the fuck is Chappers?
Mark Chapman. MOTD2 and Olympics anchor. He's the one who isn't the gruff, well built blond woman.
Mark Chapman.

Didn't he shoot Elvis or something?
"We have defeated ISIS in Syria, my only reason for being there during my Presidency". Donald J. Trump.

EddieCheddar

Post by EddieCheddar »

kevin04 wrote:Agree, tennis.

I like Ballard a lot. Very knowledgeable and seems a sound dude overall. Hargreaves is alright as well, but a bit bland/fake - ''Thanks mate'' etc, he's probably a nice guy.

As for Chappers, I can't warm to him. No idea what it is. Too smarmy or something, even to the extent where I prefer that arsehole Inverdale over Chappers.

Can't make my mind up about Dan Walker.

Agree with most of this, Kevindar, except I'd place Dan Walker in the too chummy bracket. He's a 'Gen Y' Richard Keys, minus the sexism and alleged nocturnal pursuits :)

Lou Grant

Post by Lou Grant »

Carlos J wrote:
Lou Grant wrote:I remember Bob when he was a dude on local radio in Kent - he was the replacement for Caesar the Geezer when he went to a rival local station. Bob had a weekly feature called Ballard's Back Yard (oo er, missus) which was written by someone who played a minor character in Eastenders - I don't remember what the feature consisted of, but the name always stuck in my mind.

Lovely tales and old Talk Radio related with Caeser, whom I thought was shite, but did not like much of the old TR. You probably know big Bob Ballard is a homosexualist.
Yes those were rum old times. Caeser had a couple of sidekicks in the zoo radio style of the times, one of which went by the name of The Yob, and they also used to do club appearances together in the local area (a sort of nascent 2 Mikes kind of deal). The character of The Yob was of course good ol' Ian Collins. When Caeser eventually got sacked for some misdemeanour or other (which inevitably happened throughout his career), Ian Collins inherited his show. There were clearly no hard feelings because a couple of years later I assume Caeser was the one who helped get Ian Collins the gig with TR.

Of course I didn't know Bob was gay back then, although the guy that came on and did the Ballard's Back Yard feature was incredibly camp and there was obviously more than just alliteration meant by the title, but being BBC local radio it was always kept to discrete levels so as not to scare off the pensioners that probably made up 90% of their audience!

And that's probably as off topic as I should go... :oops:
Come for the rampant misogyny, stay for the tedious bitching