Champions League of Darts, BBC1 and BBC2, Sept 24/25, Prediction Game & Observations

Anything sportlike
m4rkb

Re: Champions League of Darts, BBC1 and BBC2, Sept 24/25, Prediction Game & Observations

Post by m4rkb »

genehunt1973 wrote:BDO lot on TSOD taking the piss out of the audience

http://www.tsod.tv/forum/viewtopic.php? ... 9&start=60
FFS. Some of the comments on there are more entertaining than the BDO ever was.

Take this one for instance:
Hopefully with such poor viewing figures this will be the last will see of this lame excuse for darts shown on the BBC.........Get Lakeside back, people actually want to watch real darts.
Fucking real darts :lol: :lol:

More importantly, I really don't think these bods who clasim to be able to estimate viewing figures could count how many bollocks they have if they spend all day playing pocket billiards. Pure and utter guesswork to my way of thinking which pulls out any convenient figure that can be used for a purpose.

It should not matter one jot if the BBC viewing figures were just one man and his dog. They're not selling advertising or making anything out of it. Their job is to air it and the revenues come from the licence fee.

They can hardly sell it on as a repeat like they did with top gear.

Anyone want to but a live darts tournament where we know all the scores?

genehunt1973

Re: Champions League of Darts, BBC1 and BBC2, Sept 24/25, Prediction Game & Observations

Post by genehunt1973 »

m4rkb wrote:
genehunt1973 wrote:BDO lot on TSOD taking the piss out of the audience

http://www.tsod.tv/forum/viewtopic.php? ... 9&start=60
FFS. Some of the comments on there are more entertaining than the BDO ever was.

Take this one for instance:
Hopefully with such poor viewing figures this will be the last will see of this lame excuse for darts shown on the BBC.........Get Lakeside back, people actually want to watch real darts.
Fucking real darts :lol: :lol:

More importantly, I really don't think these bods who clasim to be able to estimate viewing figures could count how many bollocks they have if they spend all day playing pocket billiards. Pure and utter guesswork to my way of thinking which pulls out any convenient figure that can be used for a purpose.

It should not matter one jot if the BBC viewing figures were just one man and his dog. They're not selling advertising or making anything out of it. Their job is to air it and the revenues come from the licence fee.

They can hardly sell it on as a repeat like they did with top gear.

Anyone want to but a live darts tournament where we know all the scores?
Bout time they got over the fact that the beeb don't want amateur darts any more
I have greatest respect for Rugby Union, they started it mid-way through the 19th century. Thankfully we grabbed it and turned it into a spectacle on 29th August 1895

Rainbowmonkey
Winner - POTY 2014!!!!

Post by Rainbowmonkey »

I wouldn't take everything you read at face value, if I were you :wink:
You ARE Rodney Bewes

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

Rainbowmonkey wrote:I wouldn't take everything you read at face value, if I were you :wink:
Moi? Take anything at face value. 8)

Apparently today is Monday but I'll wait for a better source before I believe that one.

Rainbowmonkey
Winner - POTY 2014!!!!

Post by Rainbowmonkey »

m4rkb wrote:
Rainbowmonkey wrote:I wouldn't take everything you read at face value, if I were you :wink:
Moi? Take anything at face value. 8)

Apparently today is Monday but I'll wait for a better source before I believe that one.
tis the only way, my friend. You would hate wrongly thinking it's Monday more than you hate Mondays.
You ARE Rodney Bewes

genehunt1973

Post by genehunt1973 »

Prices for Lakeside 2017 :shock:
Saturday 07 January (all day)
£58 per person standard seating
£68 per person premium seating

Sunday 08 January (all day)
£58 per person standard seating,

Monday 09 January (afternoon)
£23 per person standard seating
£23 per person premium seating

Monday 09 January (evening)
£32 per person standard seating
£42 per person premium seating

Tuesday 10 January (afternoon)

Tuesday 10 January (evening)

Wednesday 11 January (afternoon)

Wednesday 11 January (evening)

Thursday 12 January (afternoon)
£23 per person standard seating,

Thursday 12 January (evening)
£42 per person standard seating
£52 per person premium seating

Friday 13 January (afternoon)

Friday 13 January (evening)
£42 per person standard seating
£52 per person premium seating

Saturday 14 January (afternoon - t.b.c)
£55 per person standard seating

Sunday 15 January (evening - t.b.c)
£68 per person standard seating
£83 per person premium seating
I have greatest respect for Rugby Union, they started it mid-way through the 19th century. Thankfully we grabbed it and turned it into a spectacle on 29th August 1895

The End

Post by The End »

Fuck me - thirty odd notes to watch shite like BIG ROBBO.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 250 character limit.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Rainbowmonkey wrote:
Carlos J wrote:
Cricketblade
Forum Member
Saw someone claim on twitter 3 million watched the darts on bbc 2 last night? true?
lewiep93
Forum Member
From rzt:
The X Factor from last Saturday (17 September) consolidated to 9.28m inc. +1. Timeshift of 1.58m.
Champions League of Darts (BBC2, 18:30-22:15): 703k (3.6%)
* peak: 932k (4.7%)
Poorer peak than thought. Yet that was a Saturday night. Will some out last night grab the remote away from 'Victoria' and 'Poldark' shite tonight? Though did watch one episode of 'Victoria' and wasn't that bad.

Confident of 1M+ tonight.
I found this by digging around...

Saturday 1.15-4.30pm, BBC1 - 716k (9%)
Saturday 6.30-10.15pm, BBC2 - 704k (3.6%)
Sunday 1-4.25pm, BBC2 - 585k (7%)
Sunday 6.30-9.25pm, BBC2 - 927k (4.4%)

Average audience, it seems, though the 704k differs from your 703k above. The peak audience last night was very possibly 1M+. Very many factors to consider, as stated, but they all look poor to me.
Saw those figures. Peak for Sunday woud be over 1M but hoinestly thought it would do better even with the competition from other channels. Good for BBC2 anyway but wonder what Barry and the BBBC think.
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Rainbowmonkey
Winner - POTY 2014!!!!

Post by Rainbowmonkey »

The End wrote:Fuck me - thirty odd notes to watch shite like BIG ROBBO.
Legend 8) he hasn't qualified for Lakeside this year :shock: still there's always the floor qualifier :roll:

Bob Potter will be 87 this year. General feeling is that his family will have the country club flattened after his time. It's been falling to bits for years, as colourfully described by so many online reviewers. The Shining meets Fawlty Towers...
You ARE Rodney Bewes

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

Carlos J wrote:
Rainbowmonkey wrote:
Carlos J wrote:
Cricketblade
Forum Member
Saw someone claim on twitter 3 million watched the darts on bbc 2 last night? true?
lewiep93
Forum Member
From rzt:
The X Factor from last Saturday (17 September) consolidated to 9.28m inc. +1. Timeshift of 1.58m.
Poorer peak than thought. Yet that was a Saturday night. Will some out last night grab the remote away from 'Victoria' and 'Poldark' shite tonight? Though did watch one episode of 'Victoria' and wasn't that bad.

Average audience, it seems, though the 704k differs from your 703k above. The peak audience last night was very possibly 1M+. Very many factors to consider, as stated, but they all look poor to me.
Saw those figures. Peak for Sunday woud be over 1M but hoinestly thought it would do better even with the competition from other channels. Good for BBC2 anyway but wonder what Barry and the BBBC think.
Being just a weekend was not really long enough to build an audience.
The evenings were up against very stiff competition on BBC and ITV whatever anyone may think of their progs. I have no idea of the calendar but maybe something in the Summer over a week ?
THE EUROPEAN "FULL SET CLUB" - IT'S EXCLUSIVE

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

Rainbowmonkey wrote:
Legend 8) he hasn't qualified for Lakeside this year :shock: still there's always the floor qualifier :roll:

Bob Potter will be 87 this year. General feeling is that his family will have the country club flattened after his time. It's been falling to bits for years, as colourfully described by so many online reviewers. The Shining meets Fawlty Towers...
Whatever the quality of darts, it's an iconic venue. Have been there a few times and it wasn't the best then. Night clubs are hardly gold mines these days, surprised it's survived so long.
THE EUROPEAN "FULL SET CLUB" - IT'S EXCLUSIVE

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

Rainbowmonkey wrote:
Has the floor been entered into some kind of load bearing competition running alongside the darts?

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Jonathan wrote:
Carlos J wrote:
Rainbowmonkey wrote:
Carlos J wrote:
Cricketblade
Forum Member
lewiep93
Forum Member
From rzt:

Being just a weekend was not really long enough to build an audience.
The evenings were up against very stiff competition on BBC and ITV whatever anyone may think of their progs. I have no idea of the calendar but maybe something in the Summer over a week ?
I can see that all, Jon, but man was there hype. A longer format is better, we'll see how the BBC and PDC play it with any future offerings.

Rainbowmonkey
Winner - POTY 2014!!!!

Post by Rainbowmonkey »

Some interesting points and I've read a load more too... a complicated subject with so many factors to pull in. Not really sure what to conclude, but BBC-PDC is an extremely interesting partnership that's got people talking. More points to make tomorrow.

If anyone finds the peak ratings, post em up. Cheers. It did get better ratings for BBC2 in the nights compared to last weekend, but then you can counter that with well that's the bare minimum you'd hope for given the plugging. Still, a serving of 1+million peak viewing is wonderful for the PDC regardless of anything. It was a bloody solid decent show throughout I thought, if lacking the gloss of what you might call its 'premium' self.
You ARE Rodney Bewes

Rainbowmonkey
Winner - POTY 2014!!!!

Post by Rainbowmonkey »

Behold Satan.

You ARE Rodney Bewes

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Rainbowmonkey wrote:Some interesting points and I've read a load more too... a complicated subject with so many factors to pull in. Not really sure what to conclude, but BBC-PDC is an extremely interesting partnership that's got people talking. More points to make tomorrow.

If anyone finds the peak ratings, post em up. Cheers. It did get better ratings for BBC2 in the nights compared to last weekend, but then you can counter that with well that's the bare minimum you'd hope for given the plugging. Still, a serving of 1+million peak viewing is wonderful for the PDC regardless of anything. It was a bloody solid decent show throughout I thought, if lacking the gloss of what you might call its 'premium' self.
It is a complicated subject and a certain ponderer, RM, and I've been reading a lot. Think it was on the tsod forum someone mentioned about too many tournaments all, in my own words, merging into one, so viewers unless fanatics can just miss one and catch the next a few weeks later.

Of course, in the venue they sell out and the atmosphere is always great, but that is people having a one off viewing and on the piss. I don't have Sky and have onty ever watched a few streams, mostly the WC, but always watch teh ITV4 and now BBC free to air stuff.

Same as any future European super leagues in football, watching Barca v Bayern every few weeks will soon get tiresome. Is is the same in arrars? There's a slight narrative in the players rivalries and enmity but is that enough? Is the Premier league early stages like the early group, the early group stages of the Champions League stage? You can miss and does it matter, only the business end does.

But Barry knows a cash cow and how to millk it. Venues will always sell out, beer sales will be massive but has TV viewing reached saturation coverage?

Rainbowmonkey
Winner - POTY 2014!!!!

Post by Rainbowmonkey »

Jonathan wrote:
Rainbowmonkey wrote:

Whatever the quality of darts, it's an iconic venue. Have been there a few times and it wasn't the best then. Night clubs are hardly gold mines these days, surprised it's survived so long.
'tis iconic, although strangely enough Bristow only won 1 of his 5 world titles there I believe. I think he won his first 4 in Stoke.

Not sure what on earth the BDO would do without Lakeside. It's almost unthinkable. They hold all 3 of their majors there nowadays and have found it extremely hard to pull in crowds anywhere else.
You ARE Rodney Bewes

Rainbowmonkey
Winner - POTY 2014!!!!

Post by Rainbowmonkey »

Carlos J wrote:
Rainbowmonkey wrote:Some interesting points and I've read a load more too... a complicated subject with so many factors to pull in. Not really sure what to conclude, but BBC-PDC is an extremely interesting partnership that's got people talking. More points to make tomorrow.

It is a complicated subject and a certain ponderer, RM, and I've been reading a lot. Think it was on the tsod forum someone mentioned about too many tournaments all, in my own words, merging into one, so viewers unless fanatics can just miss one and catch the next a few weeks later.

Of course, in the venue they sell out and the atmosphere is always great, but that is people having a one off viewing and on the piss. I don't have Sky and have onty ever watched a few streams, mostly the WC, but always watch teh ITV4 and now BBC free to air stuff.

Same as any future European super leagues in football, watching Barca v Bayern every few weeks will soon get tiresome. Is is the same in arrars? There's a slight narrative in the players rivalries and enmity but is that enough? Is the Premier league early stages like the early group, the early group stages of the Champions League stage? You can miss and does it matter, only the business end does.

But Barry knows a cash cow and how to millk it. Venues will always sell out, beer sales will be massive but has TV viewing reached saturation coverage?
Be cautious of that forum. Bitterness, grudges and trolls in full flow on most pages. Must be awful. :lol: Still, a valid point is a valid point whatever the motivation. I'm hurrying now and will make a mess of this by trying to keep it brief --

Certainly it is the case that the PDC from here are expanding abroad, and are done with adding events in the UK. Vegas next year and bigger venues in Germany. But of course they would have been idiotic to turn down the BBC in January, and having been given only 4 sessions and the marketing needs they couldn't have done anything other than an 8-man round robin. It was optimum for the occasion.

A functional 8-player exhibition is not a long-term goal for the BBC. I think it will return in this exact form next year, but then that's it. Existing enthusiastic darts followers = me = will absolutely need more than that to keep coming back to it, because it lacks originality. Still a great event though and you can't argue against the quality and MvG-Taylor is a guaranteed heart attack. I would like the BBC to grab an existing event, a big one like the World Grand Prix. That would be awesome.

As an aside, if those established fans with their novelty hunting hats on did indeed dodge the BBC event due to its PL samey-ness, those TV audiences must have been made up of a huge number of brand new eyeballs, which makes the numbers look much better.

I think anyone watching everything of their chosen sport is probably going to start feeling a bit bored of it. Different events pull in different audiences, different platforms, different countries, and it's all satisfying someone or it wouldn't exist - like you, the live free to air stuff is great, whereas someone with Sky might consider it a bit limp by comparison and not bother much.

One of my favourite parts is the European Tour, streamed live, loads of variety, upsets, and different winners. I'm happy to dodge all the non-ranking exhibitions like the PL and World Series - the latter is only shown delayed in the UK anyway. I think it's wonderful to have the luxury of picking and choosing - you don't need to be so old to remember a time when there was almost nothing. :) it's really important to remember that no one nerd with their firm likes and dislikes is the whole and that everything should be designed for them personally. Some people do tend to lose this point.
You ARE Rodney Bewes

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Good points, well made, RM. And that forum thread was comedy gold. :)

Agree they only had a weekend so made the most of it with the round robin and the momentum of a tourney building, as per Jonathan, may would get better numbers. And yes factor again X Factor/Strictly/ Poldark/Victoria and BBC2 still did better numbers than usual. Same old for the BBC if they had a +1 maybe more. Only the dedicated are going to avoid all meeja and watch on iPlayer later. But sport is to watch live really, IMO.

And yes, if it pulled in some FTA punters without Sky, some probably unaware of ITV4 all good. And yes, Sky viewers can and will pick and choose. But what sort of 'real' darts fan would not want to watch a Taylor v MVG final?

Different sports, different likes for different peoples viewing indeed. Back to our friend, the World Chess Championship in November. I'll watch online when free and youtubes, and I still contend a highlights package on a terrestrial channel would get decent figures and on watch again, ('Murder in Successville' I started a thread about last night belatedly got only 160k viewers on BBC2. And that has production costs.) Carlsen v Karjakin I'm sure could get similar with fuck all costs.

And also remember, broadcasters know the hardcore are there, it is the transient watchers they want. And with that meandering, I'll leave for another ponder later. :wink:

Rainbowmonkey
Winner - POTY 2014!!!!

Post by Rainbowmonkey »

Excellent stuff CJ. I will respond...

For now just a thought on the World Grand Prix prediction game. It will be one of them games la where you need to drop in to make predictions across the week as it unfolds. Is that alright? Tough anyway. =D

Sunday 2nd – Saturday 8th October, on Sky, from Dublin. A fine tournament. I'll post the game thread later.
You ARE Rodney Bewes

theleader82

Post by theleader82 »

These are the best finishes from last weekend.
phpBB [video]
MJInnocent

Rainbowmonkey
Winner - POTY 2014!!!!

Post by Rainbowmonkey »

I have love for the people who put those vids together. The 9-darter ones are so exciting. I appreciate that this sounds like sarcasm.
You ARE Rodney Bewes