Le Gavroche

In-depth debate on all topical issues
Reg

Re: Le Gavroche

Post by Reg »

Of course he has - he even had his picture taken by one of them fancy photographers...

BE NICE TO EACH OTHER.

IF YOU CAN’T SAY SOMETHING KIND, SAY NOTHING AT ALL.

LET’S MAKE talkFORUM FUN AGAIN!

Steve Hunt
Winner POTY - 2010 !!!!

Post by Steve Hunt »

Reg wrote:Of course he has - he even had his picture taken by one of them fancy photographers...

Uncanny resemblance, Reg
If Arsenal were playing in my back garden, I would draw the curtains.

ENIC OUT

https://www.smava.de/european-debt-clock/

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Top banz :lol:
Don't always believe what you think, because sometimes its' a load of shite

Steve Hunt
Winner POTY - 2010 !!!!

Post by Steve Hunt »

Basualdo wrote:
Why dont you and Rupert just get married and open an antique shop in Hastings?
Keep up, man! They already have, Bas:

If Arsenal were playing in my back garden, I would draw the curtains.

ENIC OUT

https://www.smava.de/european-debt-clock/

birdie

Post by birdie »

Right, back to topic, I have always thought that a 'service charge' is different from a 'gratuity' or 'tip' there is also the 'cover charge' which, to my mind, is a right rip off in itself. a service charge covers certain costs, a gratuity or tip is given to the waiter/ess in appreciation for good service.

A few years ago a court of law ruled that the waiting staff should be given a percentage of the service charge and, I think, ruled that where a service charge was in operation no tips should be given, customers often gave a tip as well as paying the service charge in the beleif that the serving staff kept all the tip which often wasn't the case.

For a well established and respected chef/patron to admit that he//the restaurant keep all of the service charge is disgraceful and hasn't done his personal reputation much good.
My late father-in-law owned 3 restuarants, a coffee shop and an ice cream parlour, his brother-in-law owned a restaurant just around the corner from the Palace of Westminster, his 3 cousins all own catering establishments and I can assure you that every penny the serving staff get in tips they keep, Oh, and no service charge either.
Sent from my Advent Monza S200 so bloody old I can't remember when I bought it

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

Times change. People like shortcuts.
Speaking for the rest of the forum since 2019

carcinogen

Post by carcinogen »

The Ghost of Alex Higgins wrote:Times change. People like shortcuts.
Morality has no shortcut.
Fred Kite: I've got to be off. I can't stay here arguing. I've got a lot to do. Report to the Executive, check up on the pickets.
Mrs. Kite: From what I can see, the only time you ever jolly well *do* any work is when you're on strike.

Reg

Post by Reg »

carcinogen wrote:
The Ghost of Alex Higgins wrote:Times change. People like shortcuts.
Morality has no shortcut.
Mortality does though, so watch yourself.
BE NICE TO EACH OTHER.

IF YOU CAN’T SAY SOMETHING KIND, SAY NOTHING AT ALL.

LET’S MAKE talkFORUM FUN AGAIN!

birdie

Post by birdie »

Basualdo wrote:
Darkyboy wrote:There is a response on their website to the accusations. No mention of them doing a weekday gutbuster breakfast though.

http://www.le-gavroche.co.uk/
Fuck 'em then!

Booooo, fuck off back to France, you snail eating, sheep burning, German fellating bastards!

British tips for British (& any other exploited nationalities) waiting staff!!!
Actually he was born un Kent so he doesn't have to back anywhere.

Ralph
Forum Admin

Post by Ralph »

Darkyboy wrote:There is a response on their website to the accusations. No mention of them doing a weekday gutbuster breakfast though.

http://www.le-gavroche.co.uk/
No 2 for 1 offers either. Obviously he's completely clueless. Not surprised he can't afford to pay his staff properly.

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

I had to google it. Seems like pretentious French crap to me. Another tv chef making money out of half portions and Chips arranged into a log cabin then topped with a daffodil or something.
Personally I prefer a good steak or a roast dinner, and before I'd pay that much money for a meal, I really would give it to a homeless person.
'"Beauty is truth, truth beauty,
That is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know".

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Royal24s wrote:I had to google it.

Fuck me, something that Royals didn't know :D

subsub

Post by subsub »

Royal24s wrote:Another tv chef making money out of half portions and Chips arranged into a log cabin then topped with a daffodil or something
:roll:
Oh dear…
SIX-TIME CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

Explain to me the pronunciation of Michelin
Speaking for the rest of the forum since 2019

birdie

Post by birdie »

Royal24s wrote:I had to google it. Seems like pretentious French crap to me. Another tv chefmaking money out of half portions and Chips arranged into a log cabin then topped with a daffodil or something.
Personally I prefer a good steak or a roast dinner, and before I'd pay that much money for a meal, I really would give it to a homeless person.

He was a successful restauranteur long before he became a tv chef.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Royal24s wrote: Personally I prefer a good steak or a roast dinner, and before I'd pay that much money for a meal, I really would give it to a homeless person.
Blame those that pay that sort of money to have their carrots stacked like an oil derrick and their sauces fanned onto their plates. It's all about taste to me, I don't give a stuff what it looks like. Can't blame the chefs though.

birdie

Post by birdie »

Zambo wrote:
Royal24s wrote: Personally I prefer a good steak or a roast dinner, and before I'd pay that much money for a meal, I really would give it to a homeless person.
Blame those that pay that sort of money to have their carrots stacked like an oil derrick and their sauces fanned onto their plates. It's all about taste to me, I don't give a stuff what it looks like. Can't blame the chefs though.
But they don't go there to nosh, do they? after all, the amount of food in 3 courses wouldn't satisfy a hungry 7 year old, no, they go there for the 'experience', to impress, to entertain business contancts, and to be seen, yes, what they get is good food, often something too time consuming or too compllicated to produce at home, in a Michelin atar place it's 'art on a plate', and that's what they pay for.

Bet they have a bacon butty when they get home.

Gosport Mark

Post by Gosport Mark »

Reg wrote:
Steve Hunt wrote:
Reg wrote: And now I won't be able to go there again. :(
Why, Reg?

If it is on a matter of principle then I assume you walk around naked all the time? Because 99% of clothes are produced in third world sweatshops where not only are the employees paid a pittance, but they frequently work in extremely dangerous conditions.
I am a nudist actually.

But leaving that aside, no, I don't ethically shop etc, but I don't knowingly and deliberately seek out the shops that are the worst offenders.

Similarly I'm not going to go out of my way to choose a restaurant which I know is paying a pittance and stealing the tips of its staff, then rub their noses in it by sitting there while they serve me, in the full knowledge that I know this.

I hope this story encourages all their customers to do the same.
You assume that the majority of their customers give a fuck. I would suggest this may not be the case.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Any comments contained within this post which are deemed offensive are unintentional. If any poster does wish to complain then please PM me first for a personal apology.

birdie

Post by birdie »

Gosport Mark wrote:
Reg wrote:
Steve Hunt wrote:
Reg wrote: And now I won't be able to go there again. :(
Why, Reg?

If it is on a matter of principle then I assume you walk around naked all the time? Because 99% of clothes are produced in third world sweatshops where not only are the employees paid a pittance, but they frequently work in extremely dangerous conditions.
I am a nudist actually.

But leaving that aside, no, I don't ethically shop etc, but I don't knowingly and deliberately seek out the shops that are the worst offenders.

Similarly I'm not going to go out of my way to choose a restaurant which I know is paying a pittance and stealing the tips of its staff, then rub their noses in it by sitting there while they serve me, in the full knowledge that I know this.

I hope this story encourages all their customers to do the same.
You assume that the majority of their customers give a fuck. I would suggest this may not be the case.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I don't think customers in any form of retail give a stuff for staff conditions and pay, I've pulled pints in Masham, Hull and 4 places in London, I've also done 14 hours days in the family catering business, I've done 12 hour shifts at the Council and I've worked in accounts and dealt with guests in the hotel trade, at none of those have the customers/clents given a tinkers stuff for pay and conditions.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Customers are interested in the quality of thee goods and services they receive for the money they have paid. Why should they care or have a responsibilty for anything else.. Some employers are scum, but you are not going to round up everyone for a boycott.

birdie

Post by birdie »

Zambo wrote:Customers are interested in the quality of thee goods and services they receive for the money they have paid. Why should they care or have a responsibilty for anything else.. Some employers are scum, but you are not going to round up everyone for a boycott.

Before the minimum wage came in it was reported that the Royal Household were notorious for being bad wage payers, and i seem to recall that hadn't changed much over the years in as much that they now pay the minimum wage and that is all they are obliged to do.

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

birdie wrote:
Zambo wrote:Customers are interested in the quality of thee goods and services they receive for the money they have paid. Why should they care or have a responsibilty for anything else.. Some employers are scum, but you are not going to round up everyone for a boycott.

Before the minimum wage came in it was reported that the Royal Household were notorious for being bad wage payers, and i seem to recall that hadn't changed much over the years in as much that they now pay the minimum wage and that is all they are obliged to do.
As Zambo stated, people go out to relax, have a nice meal or time or be entertained. If they wanted to be hectored about social injustice theyd stay home and watch Eastenders or Channel 4.
Honestly, they dont give a fuck about who pays what or to whom as long as it doesnt encroach on their enjoyment.
Its maybe not nice, but there it is.
Proud Gammon

RIP Neil Peart 1952-2020.

Ralph
Forum Admin

Post by Ralph »

Basualdo wrote:
birdie wrote:

As Zambo stated, people go out to relax, have a nice meal or time or be entertained. If they wanted to be hectored about social injustice theyd stay home and watch Eastenders or Channel 4.
Honestly, they dont give a fuck about who pays what or to whom as long as it doesnt encroach on their enjoyment.
Up to a point. Not sure I'd spend money in a business I knew wasn't paying their staff the minimum wage.

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

Ralph wrote:
Basualdo wrote:
birdie wrote:

Up to a point. Not sure I'd spend money in a business I knew wasn't paying their staff the minimum wage.
Which is the decent thing to do, but I'm pretty sure it doesnt come into the thinking of 99% of the other customers.
Proud Gammon

RIP Neil Peart 1952-2020.

Ralph
Forum Admin

Post by Ralph »

Basualdo wrote:
Ralph wrote:
Basualdo wrote:
birdie wrote:

Which is the decent thing to do, but I'm pretty sure it doesnt come into the thinking of 99% of the other customers.
It's never come into my thinking TBH. If I read in the news that a business was treating its staff appallingly or ripping them off - I think I'd spend my money elsewhere. At least until they'd issued a groveling apology & promised to put the situation right.