All new police officers in England and Wales to have degrees

In-depth debate on all topical issues
Steve Hunt
Winner POTY - 2010 !!!!

All new police officers in England and Wales to have degrees

Post by Steve Hunt »

What a load of bollocks:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38319283

Yeah, I can really see Isabel from Cheam with her 2:1 in Media Studies from Trent Polytechnic patrolling the streets of Tower Hamlets at 1.00am
If Arsenal were playing in my back garden, I would draw the curtains.

ENIC OUT

https://www.smava.de/european-debt-clock/

kancutlawns

Re: All new police officers in England and Wales to have degrees

Post by kancutlawns »

It happens everywhere now Steve. Traditional occupations like stock market trading, recruitment consultancies and IT require undergraduate degrees as a minimum too. It's really all about giving HR people something to do but from my experience they are fucking useless and pass everything over to either Line Managers or Business Partners. And you get a graduate in then given them photocopying to do on an utter pittance which doesn't utilise their degree at all and also giving jobs to people with Arts and Humanities degrees, which is shite.
Please don't hoover up all the bollocks for yourself. Leave some for others.

Hillman avenger

Post by Hillman avenger »

Some over-reaction there, Steve.
It's not saying that having a degree gets you the job, just that you need it in addition to having the other qualities needed.
Listen to Talksport and let it be a lesson to you

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Hillman avenger wrote:Some over-reaction there, Steve.
It's not saying that having a degree gets you the job, just that you need it in addition to having the other qualities needed.
I think that there certainly is a need for some analytical, problem solving, communication skills required now which perhaps people who have had no grounding on a degree course have. It's not a bad thing but give graduates a decent liveable wage and some work to do that's commensurate with what they've picked up in a three or four year degree course.

Steve Hunt
Winner POTY - 2010 !!!!

Post by Steve Hunt »

Having worked in Scotland Yard previously and met hundreds of coppers over the years, you need people who can handle the "dirty work", Hillman. These people might not be academically brilliant, but they are (for want of a better word) "streetwise".
If Arsenal were playing in my back garden, I would draw the curtains.

ENIC OUT

https://www.smava.de/european-debt-clock/

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

The profile of crime's changing though isn't it, Steve? There's more of a focus on cybercrime, drug cartels, global money laundering, people traffickers and general organised crime as this is where there's more investment of time and effort. Running after common thieves and drunken revellers doesn't really come under the radar so what's the point on having grunts who can give someone a kicking when its better to have tech savvy graduates to do the real work? Time's are changing and the police force needs to move with it.

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

ACAB
Speaking for the rest of the forum since 2019

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

The Ghost of Alex Higgins wrote:ACAB
What's that, Alex?

Rossco

Post by Rossco »

kancutlawns wrote:The profile of crime's changing though isn't it, Steve? There's more of a focus on cybercrime, drug cartels, global money laundering, people traffickers and general organised crime as this is where there's more investment of time and effort. Running after common thieves and drunken revellers doesn't really come under the radar so what's the point on having grunts who can give someone a kicking when its better to have tech savvy graduates to do the real work? Time's are changing and the police force needs to move with it.
Well that is why you should have different departments in the Police force that are varied and trained in that area that they are used for...no point sending a bunch of PC geeks out on a raid against a bunch of hardcore motherfukers who don't give a fuk. One way beating that there. Only thing they could hope for is that they see the uniform and stop....but hardcore motherfuckers don't give a fuk...so that explains itself doesn't it :lol:

But common sense is another thing all over the shop these days. The peeler station isn't any different. Not that I blame the peelers even if half of them are dicks who think that once they stick the uniform on they are some sort of superman or woman which is even more funny to me. It is the higher ups that cause all this shit.

Cops over here now would shit in their pants if it ever kicked off again. They would be lost little lambs among wolves.
Psalm 23 - The Lord Is My Shepherd

Desolation

Post by Desolation »

All Coppers Are Bastards...normally on the knuckles. :D
Proud Gammon and imperious Little Englander!

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

Rossco wrote:
kancutlawns wrote:The profile of crime's changing though isn't it, Steve? There's more of a focus on cybercrime, drug cartels, global money laundering, people traffickers and general organised crime as this is where there's more investment of time and effort. Running after common thieves and drunken revellers doesn't really come under the radar so what's the point on having grunts who can give someone a kicking when its better to have tech savvy graduates to do the real work? Time's are changing and the police force needs to move with it.
Well that is why you should have different departments in the Police force that are varied and trained in that area that they are used for...no point sending a bunch of PC geeks out on a raid against a bunch of hardcore motherfukers who don't give a fuk. One way beating that there. Only thing they could hope for is that they see the uniform and stop....but hardcore motherfuckers don't give a fuk...so that explains itself doesn't it :lol:

But common sense is another thing all over the shop these days. The peeler station isn't any different. Not that I blame the peelers even if half of them are dicks who think that once they stick the uniform on they are some sort of superman or woman which is even more funny to me. It is the higher ups that cause all this shit.

Cops over here now would shit in their pants if it ever kicked off again. They would be lost little lambs among wolves.
Theres a wee Chinese girl cop in Bangor, a good looking girl too, but only about 5ft 1 or 2 and doesnt look as if she has the strength to lift her gun. She might be an absolute godsend to law enforcement in some other more technical department of the police force.....sorry, service..and God knows the PSNI need more than a few of those, but to have her out on the beat walking the streets is almost criminal folly.
Proud Gammon

RIP Neil Peart 1952-2020.

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Why can't we have a combination? Steve seems to be implying that there is a policy for having solely Media Studies graduates from a shitty old poly when as with teams in loads of other industries, you have a collection of different skill sets, attributes, personalities and potential.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Employer graduate recruitment schemes are a recipe for disaster, but if you look at this one more closely I see a lot of sense. They are not saying you need to have a degree to join the force, there will be opportunities to join and then study whilst learning the job. I reckon that could work.
Don't always believe what you think, because sometimes its' a load of shite

finchman

Post by finchman »

What the government should be doing is scrapping police officers retiring at 50. Cant get on my golf course for fucking 51 year old ex plods.

Why do the rest of us get our pension at 67,yet these cunts and the firemen get theirs at 50............ITS WRONG.
Joel,Boyce,Alcaraz,Scharner,Espinoza,McCarthy,McArthur,Gomez,(Watson),McManaman,Maloney,Kone,...LEGENDS!

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

finchman wrote:What the government should be doing is scrapping police officers retiring at 50. Cant get on my golf course for fucking 51 year old ex plods.

Why do the rest of us get our pension at 67,yet these cunts and the firemen get theirs at 50............ITS WRONG.
Do you want some poor old lady in her Wigan hovel yelling for assistance from her bedroom window while an inferno rages behind her, while some lard arsed grey old waster of a fireman shouts back, "I'd love to help but me sciatica's givin' me jip at the minute."?

Well do you?! :x
Proud Gammon

finchman

Post by finchman »

Basualdo wrote:
finchman wrote:What the government should be doing is scrapping police officers retiring at 50. Cant get on my golf course for fucking 51 year old ex plods.

Do you want some poor old lady in her Wigan hovel yelling for assistance from her bedroom window while an inferno rages behind her, while some lard arsed grey old waster of a fireman shouts back, "I'd love to help but me sciatica's givin' me jip at the minute."?

Well do you?! :x
Err No......Firemen once they reach the age of 50 if they are fat and lard arsed should be relocated elsewhere in the civil service,or get another job until they are 67.Same applies to fat coppers.

No fucker in the civil service should be drawing their pension at 50.
Joel,Boyce,Alcaraz,Scharner,Espinoza,McCarthy,McArthur,Gomez,(Watson),McManaman,Maloney,Kone,...LEGENDS!

AlcoholBrazil

Post by AlcoholBrazil »

Fuck the paperwork. Fuck the degrees. We need thousands of Jack Regans in the force .
Boris " Do not look at what I am doing, Look how cute and adorable Dilyn is.....Look at Dilyn ! "

Rossco

Post by Rossco »

Basualdo wrote:
Rossco wrote:

Theres a wee Chinese girl cop in Bangor, a good looking girl too, but only about 5ft 1 or 2 and doesnt look as if she has the strength to lift her gun. She might be an absolute godsend to law enforcement in some other more technical department of the police force.....sorry, service..and God knows the PSNI need more than a few of those, but to have her out on the beat walking the streets is almost criminal folly.
Woman I know is a cop....sexy wee thing truth be told. No way outside of shooting me does she stop me if I go into one of my very rare righteous rages. She would need to get out of the way. And many badder, harder and meaner than me in this land.

But sure this is just another part of it.....for blessed are the peacemakers. Kind of hard to keep peace when you can't even make it in whatever form it may come. See Bas....all part of the game big son :D In all it's many levels.

And there are many.

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

Finchoid's golf course, yesterday:

Speaking for the rest of the forum since 2019

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

Steve Hunt wrote:
Having worked in Scotland Yard previously and met hundreds of coppers over the years, you need people who can handle the "dirty work", Hillman. These people might not be academically brilliant, but they are (for want of a better word) "streetwise".
Did you work at CO then Steve ?
Have we raised a toast together in the Tank I wonder ?
Anyway, the reality of this suggestion is partly what you say and something else which is specific to policing and was discovered in the 1930s when Trenchard tried his police college and graduate " officer class" along military lines. Unlike most other military or civilian undertakings, the vital decisions in policing will by necessity be taken at the lowest level.
This is because the first officer on the scene of a murder , bank robbery or terrorist incident will probably be a probationer or panda driver, rather than the DAC C, ( see, I can use trade terms with you now ). Of course, it is the first steps taken at the scene which will determine how well it goes from there, so it's actually more effective to improve training for these lower ranks than employ highly educated senior officers.
By the time people are Chief Superintendents they'll probably have done a degree anyway, or certainly accrued enough experience to have at least as much ability for lateral thought as any graduate. I've done both and I promise you that a degree enables command thinking a lot less than police experience.
'"Beauty is truth, truth beauty,
That is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know".

warmleatherette

Post by warmleatherette »

Its a 3 year degree in policing and law they're talking about, you also have to do a minimum of 16 hours a month as a special so you get real experience, there are still ways of joining without doing a the degree where you'd get a equivalent qualification on day release or on the job training, it's not about being a graduate it's about training.
Brilliantly Honest

warmleatherette

Post by warmleatherette »

Rossco wrote:
Basualdo wrote:
Rossco wrote:

Woman I know is a cop....sexy wee thing truth be told. No way outside of shooting me does she stop me if I go into one of my very rare righteous rages. She would need to get out of the way. And many badder, harder and meaner than me in this land.

But sure this is just another part of it.....for blessed are the peacemakers. Kind of hard to keep peace when you can't even make it in whatever form it may come. See Bas....all part of the game big son :D In all it's many levels.

And there are many.
She'd have you peppered, asped, tazered and cuffed before you could shout Hail Mary :-)
Brilliantly Honest

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

All I can see is this new bunch of recruits dogmatically trained in diversity equality and other shit no one really wants prioritised above generally keeping the peace. As I've always said on this and other forums we need burly coppers for some situations and tactful ones for others. Clearly we need intelligent ones for the detective work.

From what I've seen in raw personal experience the short arses are the ones with the worst attitude and like handing out tickets to people they feel they can bully but the ones you wouldn't want to end up in a fight with are the best diplomats on a Saturday night when the pubs are cleared.

No one in the West Midlands ever liked dealing with the disbanded SPG - especially the crooks as they were a right bunch of cunts who could dish it out. I've heard it from many a hardcase that they actually had respect for their robustness.

Contrast their approach to the 5'2" copper I saw recently ranting like a madman(madwoman actually ) at a couple of pensioners parked outside Argos collecting a parcel. If she shows such bravery when the next riots kick off she'd have my respect but storm-trooping octogenarians seemed her level.

This weak bunch of mollycoddled middle class totally un-streetwise bunch of uniformed Social Jusice warriors will probably specialise in policing twitter and Facebook for offensive comments rather than get their hands dirty with the burly mob sorting out wildly violent drunks and gang of intimidating thugs.

There's a place for university graduates but as a wholesale policy there isn't.

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

warmleatherette wrote:
Rossco wrote:
Basualdo wrote:
Rossco wrote:

And there are many.
She'd have you peppered, asped, tazered and cuffed before you could shout Hail Mary :-)

You could cuff, tazer, shot and jail him, build a house, raise a family, die and come back as a gnat or something before you would catch Rossco or anyone in Ards shouting "Hail Mary". :D
Proud Gammon

Rossco

Post by Rossco »

Basualdo wrote:
warmleatherette wrote:
Rossco wrote:
Basualdo wrote:
Rossco wrote:

And there are many.

You could cuff, tazer, shot and jail him, build a house, raise a family, die and come back as a gnat or something before you would catch Rossco or anyone in Ards shouting "Hail Mary". :D
Well lets just say it would never work as a safety word.