Green belt

In-depth debate on all topical issues
Roy Twing

Re: Green belt

Post by Roy Twing »

subsub wrote:
Roy Twing wrote:if you wish to debate my statement regarding mass immigration, feel free to do
Sure:
https://www.theguardian.com/housing-net ... ing-crisis

In a speech in December 2012, Theresa May claimed that more than a third of all new housing demand in Britain was caused by immigration. “And there is evidence that without the demand caused by mass immigration, house prices could be 10% lower over a 20-year period,” she said. The statement mirrors a common trope in any debate on the housing crisis: the idea that it is caused by mass migration, and that without migration, Britain would have no need for more housing.

The London School of Economics report that May cited as the source for her claim also says: “In the early years even better off migrants tend to form fewer households as compared to the indigenous population; to live disproportionately in private renting; and to live at higher densities. However, the longer they stay, the more their housing consumption resembles that of similar indigenous households.”

This, in part, debunks the idea that immigration is the biggest strain on housing – new arrivals tend to live in denser households and take up less space.

https://www.housing.org.uk/blog/how-muc ... n-england/

the facts show that migration has not resulted in a disproportionate allocation of social rented homes to newly arriving migrants, an argument that can sometimes be heard in the context of the housing crisis. If we are speaking about the housing crisis the focus should be on the real factors that have led to exploding housing costs and rent levels in many parts of the country – the lack of supply of affordable homes of all types of tenure which we have failed to build for far too long.
That's a little more like it.
Of course it is the guardian, and of course it refers to new housing, somewhat short of the full picture, even if accurate..
Here is a report from migrationwatch (I know, the opposite argument that I made regarding the guardian applies):

"Immigration is a major factor in the demand for housing. Official data shows that over the last fifteen years, two thirds (67%) of the additional households created in the UK were headed by a person born abroad."

https://www.migrationwatchuk.org/key-topics/housing

I think that gives a fuller picture but I'm sure you'll disagree.
What I find difficult to fathom is why so many fail to grasp the irrefutable truth that upwards of half a million more people arriving here each year MUST be a major factor, if not THE major factor in housing demand.
E & OE

Kowalski

Post by Kowalski »

They're just in denial Roy.

Of course a large rise in the population is going to cause housing problems, it's basic common sense.

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

Royal24s wrote:
The Tick wrote:We wouldn't even need to build so many new places if we utilised existing urban land properly and didn't have such ridiculous land values.
Quite right, but we can't alter land values and we still need to get on with it, so don't cancel the diggers while the politicians talk. They'll never produce anything but hot air and reasons not to act.
If the existing problems continue, they'll spread to the new housing built so nothing actually gets solved.

subsub

Post by subsub »

Zambo wrote:
subsub wrote:
Not me who mentioned trolling, O Holy one :mrgreen:
I don't think you realise you are doing it, as so many of your posts take the same route. i.e down trolling alley.
No, you have the wrong end of the stick, Zambo. There's a difference between the occasional playful barb and full-blown provocation, as others seem keen to indulge in on here.

You do seem to have a rather chippy manner on here at times; don't get so rattled.
SIX-TIME CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE

Roy Twing

Post by Roy Twing »

Royal24s wrote:
subsub wrote:
Royal24s wrote:very interesting that you associate someone stating opinions you don't like with trolling, in the same insane way that disagreeing with Obama is claimed increasingly to be racist
Just to make it absolutely clear to you, this is what Roy wrote:
If I have posted what you consider to be any factually incorrect statements please feel free to debate, but don't make lazy, daft put-downs which make you look like the troll you repeatedly deny you are

I thought he was referring to the garden assistant I don't address.
Are you sure he meant you?
If so, I apologise unreservedly because you're certainly not a troll, and my earlier post about trolling wasn't in any way directed at you either.
I have lawnmowerman on ignore these days also.
I was indeed referring to subsub, for the reason that he has in the past just made what he refers to as 'playful barbs', before departing for other parts of the forum, - he complained a while back that we were being unfair to label him a troll, so I for one apologised and was prepared to give the benefit of doubt, but since then has made further one-liners, such as the one earlier which caused me to mention the T-word again, where he referred to me as a xenophobe.
E & OE

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Roy Twing wrote:
Royal24s wrote:
subsub wrote:
Royal24s wrote:very interesting that you associate someone stating opinions you don't like with trolling, in the same insane way that disagreeing with Obama is claimed increasingly to be racist
If I have posted what you consider to be any factually incorrect statements please feel free to debate, but don't make lazy, daft put-downs which make you look like the troll you repeatedly deny you are

If so, I apologise unreservedly because you're certainly not a troll, and my earlier post about trolling wasn't in any way directed at you either.
I was indeed referring to subsub, for the reason that he has in the past just made what he refers to as 'playful barbs', before departing for other parts of the forum, - he complained a while back that we were being unfair to label him a troll, so I for one apologised and was prepared to give the benefit of doubt, but since then has made further one-liners, such as the one earlier which caused me to mention the T-word again, where he referred to me as a xenophobe.
What have I got to do with it? I haven't mentioned you in a post for weeks so don't start goading and trolling me. You have me on ignore so why mention it? You're the biggest troll on here and as with others, demand that rest of us suck it up and the mods and owner clearly don't want to tell you to wind your neck in even though you constantly break forum rules. You're a unreconstructed old bigot and again you've got the mods by the danglies.
Please don't hoover up all the bollocks for yourself. Leave some for others.

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

subsub wrote:
Zambo wrote:
subsub wrote:
I don't think you realise you are doing it, as so many of your posts take the same route. i.e down trolling alley.
No, you have the wrong end of the stick, Zambo. There's a difference between the occasional playful barb and full-blown provocation, as others seem keen to indulge in on here.

You do seem to have a rather chippy manner on here at times; don't get so rattled.
Zambo's like that from time to time. Acts as the peacemaker and then seems to have a bee in his bonnet about the Left whingers and "remoaners." I actually sometimes prefer the predictable shite that Roy comes out with. No pretending there.

Reg

Post by Reg »

kancutlawns wrote:
Roy Twing wrote:
Royal24s wrote:
subsub wrote:

What have I got to do with it? I haven't mentioned you in a post for weeks so don't start goading and trolling me. You have me on ignore so why mention it? You're the biggest troll on here and as with others, demand that rest of us suck it up and the mods and owner clearly don't want to tell you to wind your neck in even though you constantly break forum rules. You're a unreconstructed old bigot and again you've got the mods by the danglies.
Er, if he's got you on ignore, he won't see your reply. :)

So I've done you a favour by quoting it, so he will see it after all. :wink:
BE NICE TO EACH OTHER.

IF YOU CAN’T SAY SOMETHING KIND, SAY NOTHING AT ALL.

LET’S MAKE talkFORUM FUN AGAIN!

subsub

Post by subsub »

Roy Twing wrote:before departing for other parts of the forum
Yep, funnily enough, I don't spend every waking hour in D&D, unlike some…
Roy Twing wrote:he complained a while back that we were being unfair to label him a troll
"Complained" :lol:
Nice try.
Roy Twing wrote:where he referred to me as a xenophobe
Did I? What did I say, exactly?

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

So that was a cowardly dig at me. Fucking cunt (not you, but him) and you can quote me on that. You can put it as your siggy as well Reg.

Reg

Post by Reg »

kancutlawns wrote:So that was a cowardly dig at me. Fucking cunt (not you, but him) and you can quote me on that. You can put it as your siggy as well Reg.
Put what?
BE NICE TO EACH OTHER.

Steve Hunt
Winner POTY - 2010 !!!!

Post by Steve Hunt »

Any chance of anyone actually discussing the thread title - ie: the destruction of the Green Belt?

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j ... 3572,d.bGs

New homes eroding green belt 'at fastest rate for 20 years'
If Arsenal were playing in my back garden, I would draw the curtains.

ENIC OUT

https://www.smava.de/european-debt-clock/

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Don't know, it's up to you. Whatever you want to put, I'm not here to judge but guide. :)

Reg

Post by Reg »

kancutlawns wrote:Don't know, it's up to you. Whatever you want to put, I'm not here to judge but guide. :)
Eh?

You said "you can put that in your siggy too Reg" - put what?
BE NICE TO EACH OTHER.

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Steve Hunt wrote:Any chance of anyone actually discussing the thread title - ie: the destruction of the Green Belt?

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j ... 3572,d.bGs

New homes eroding green belt 'at fastest rate for 20 years'
We've got a protected green belt close to us and it's so nice to see the little geldings and cows. Got cunts roaring up and down the road in their 4 x 4s, need to do something about that.

AlcoholBrazil

Post by AlcoholBrazil »

It's not more houses we need. It's less people and more allotments. Ask those xenophobic racist white pensioners how to do it.
Time to grow our own food again.
Boris " Do not look at what I am doing, Look how cute and adorable Dilyn is.....Look at Dilyn ! "

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Reg wrote:
kancutlawns wrote:Don't know, it's up to you. Whatever you want to put, I'm not here to judge but guide. :)
Eh?

What I called it but on reflection, I don't want you to get into trouble and I doubt you'd put it in anyway.

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

AlcoholBrazil wrote:It's not more houses we need. It's less people and more allotments. Ask those xenophobic racist white pensioners how to do it.
Time to grow our own food again.
Is this yet another thread that's taking a dig at immigrants and dark skinned people?

Reg

Post by Reg »

kancutlawns wrote:
Reg wrote:
Eh?

What I called it but on reflection, I don't want you to get into trouble and I doubt you'd put it in anyway.
You mean put your reply to Roy as my sig?

Yeah, that would be a bit weird.
BE NICE TO EACH OTHER.

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

I didn't say that did I? My description of him rather than my post. I mentioned that in my last post.

This is hard work.

Reg

Post by Reg »

kancutlawns wrote:I didn't say that did I? My description of him rather than my post. I mentioned that in my last post.

This is hard work.
Oh, I see now.
BE NICE TO EACH OTHER.

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Good man.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

kancutlawns wrote:
subsub wrote:
Zambo wrote:
subsub wrote:

Zambo's like that from time to time. Acts as the peacemaker and then seems to have a bee in his bonnet about the Left whingers and "remoaners." I actually sometimes prefer the predictable shite that Roy comes out with. No pretending there.
Nothing pretending about me fatboy. If you have your eyes wide shut don't blame me.
Don't always believe what you think, because sometimes its' a load of shite

subsub

Post by subsub »

kancutlawns wrote:Zambo's like that from time to time. Acts as the peacemaker and then seems to have a bee in his bonnet about the Left whingers and "remoaners."
:lol: :lol:
Kofi Annan, he ain't…

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Zambo wrote:
kancutlawns wrote:
subsub wrote:
Zambo wrote:
subsub wrote:

Nothing pretending about me fatboy. If you have your eyes wide shut don't blame me.
I've lost a bit of timber these days. :wink: Running it off in Sutton Park.