Green belt

In-depth debate on all topical issues
Roy Twing

Re: Green belt

Post by Roy Twing »

subsub wrote:
Roy Twing wrote:for you to state that I live in fear of other cultures is at the least, to imply xenophobia, if not racism
How do you explain your avatar, then?
It is what it is, - a (hopefully) amusing take on the Dad’s Army title animation, but with a serious message as well, in that there is undoubtedly a ‘problem’ with islam, as is well documented every day in one form of news report or another, - you may find it ‘slightly offensive’, that is entirely your prerogative, I find your attacks on UKIP voters at least as offensive.
Think about it.

By all means disagree and argue the corner that islam is not incompatible with western society if that's what you feel, just as I will defend those who want to leave the EU against those who call us xenophobes.
E & OE

deisegirl

Post by deisegirl »

Steve Hunt wrote:Any chance of anyone actually discussing the thread title - ie: the destruction of the Green Belt?

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j ... 3572,d.bGs

New homes eroding green belt 'at fastest rate for 20 years'
Resistance is futile. Every fred in this section seems to turn into a mishmash of the American peesidential election, Brexit, God bothering and Mooslims.

Back to the TS section for me, where every fred turns into a mishmash of insults about Alan Brazil and references to Micky Quinn's hungry horses. :)
Saggers is alive??!!
Talksport is dark and full of errors.
Wilbur did nuffink wrong!

Steve Hunt
Winner POTY - 2010 !!!!

Post by Steve Hunt »

deisegirl wrote:
Steve Hunt wrote:Any chance of anyone actually discussing the thread title - ie: the destruction of the Green Belt?

Resistance is futile. Every fred in this section seems to turn into a mishmash of the American peesidential election, Brexit, God bothering and Mooslims.

Yup. You are right, Diese.

D&D is fast becoming a bloody joke. Derailment & personal abuse now seem too be the order of the day, no matter what the thread subject.

Doesn't need to be this way.

Such a shame.
If Arsenal were playing in my back garden, I would draw the curtains.

ENIC OUT

https://www.smava.de/european-debt-clock/

beingsoblase

Post by beingsoblase »

deisegirl wrote:

Back to the TS section for me, where every fred turns into a mishmash of insults about Alan Brazil and references to Micky Quinn's hungry horses. :)
Nail on head deise, if brazil ever gets the sack, I'd be stuck in previous presenters.
"Stop drinking on an empty stomach and tweeting on an empty head, you fucking booze-addled halfwit."

AlcoholBrazil

Post by AlcoholBrazil »

I'm sure Oliver Reed would spin in his grave if his image was being used for campaign for politically-correct issues .
I don't remember him championing causes for people of colour .
Boris " Do not look at what I am doing, Look how cute and adorable Dilyn is.....Look at Dilyn ! "

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

AlcoholBrazil wrote:I'm sure Oliver Reed would spin in his grave if his image was being used for campaign for politically-correct issues .
What the hell are you babbling on about?

subsub

Post by subsub »

AlcoholBrazil wrote:I'm sure Oliver Reed would spin in his grave if his image was being used for campaign for politically-correct issues .
Not sure what Jürgen Prochnow would make of some of the stuff written by you and Das, either :lol:
SIX-TIME CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

Steve Hunt wrote:
deisegirl wrote:

Yup. You are right, Diese.

D&D is fast becoming a bloody joke. Derailment & personal abuse now seem too be the order of the day, no matter what the thread subject.

Doesn't need to be this way.

Such a shame.
Those subjects do seem to be the most pressing ones, but that aside, you're right. There's very little interesting or entertaining discussion left here, but maybe that's a microcosm of society and education.
About half the posts are one line snippets of jibberish with a swear word. No idea why anyone does that.
When it particularly stagnates I often do a new thread to invoke discussion but that rarely works now. It used to, but a lot of contributors have either wandered off or been banned, so there's not much response any more, except some fucktard who posts " fucka da jumbo whoosh !" or something .
Why don't you start some new threads ?
I recently joined another forum because I looked at it and there was lively discussion , and that's probably how this one would attract new members and thus hold better discussions.
'"Beauty is truth, truth beauty,
That is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know".

Roy Twing

Post by Roy Twing »

I agree about the snippets/ one-liners that serve just to provoke, but from what I've seen most similar forums go down the same route. Particularly such loosely moderated ones.
A small inconvenience mostly solved with the ignore option.
E & OE

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

Well I'm glad you can write it off like that. I honestly wish I could, but I get a bit upset for them actually. These are young kids who should have had proper families, proper education and proper opportunities to do something with their lives. Instead, they do this. I can imagine them sitting in squalor in a darkened room with tattoos and nose piercings, gibbering occasionally and so very angry but also so very pathetic and beaten.
They think this sick society is normal and so they have no desire to change it.
'"Beauty is truth, truth beauty,
That is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know".

Roy Twing

Post by Roy Twing »

Royal24s wrote:Well I'm glad you can write it off like that. I honestly wish I could, but I get a bit upset for them actually. These are young kids who should have had proper families, proper education and proper opportunities to do something with their lives. Instead, they do this. I can imagine them sitting in squalor in a darkened room with tattoos and nose piercings, gibbering occasionally and so very angry but also so very pathetic and beaten.

I don't write it off lightly, - I've been posting on here for a long time, and have argued my corner on these recurring topics time and again, and have been called every variation of racist/bigot/xenophobe there is, time and time again. And I've tried to debate time and time again.
Now, more and more, it's hard to see the point in trying to preach to the unconvertible.
It won't stop me making my points as and when, but I know when I'm flogging a dead horse.
I still live in hope though, that one or two, one day, will discover they were wrong, and admit it.
E & OE

Darkyboy

Post by Darkyboy »

Roy Twing wrote:
Royal24s wrote:Well I'm glad you can write it off like that. I honestly wish I could, but I get a bit upset for them actually. These are young kids who should have had proper families, proper education and proper opportunities to do something with their lives. Instead, they do this. I can imagine them sitting in squalor in a darkened room with tattoos and nose piercings, gibbering occasionally and so very angry but also so very pathetic and beaten.

I don't write it off lightly, - I've been posting on here for a long time, and have argued my corner on these recurring topics time and again, and have been called every variation of racist/bigot/xenophobe there is, time and time again. And I've tried to debate time and time again.
Now, more and more, it's hard to see the point in trying to preach to the unconvertible.
It won't stop me making my points as and when, but I know when I'm flogging a dead horse.
I still live in hope though, that one or two, one day, will discover they were wrong, and admit it.
To be honest Roy, I doubt anyone changes their opinion in favour of anyone else, if they didn't agree in the first place. An internet forum just entrenches people in their own position.
Free at last, free at last, thank God almighty, we are free at last.

Roy Twing

Post by Roy Twing »

Darkyboy wrote:
Roy Twing wrote:

To be honest Roy, I doubt anyone changes their opinion in favour of anyone else, if they didn't agree in the first place. An internet forum just entrenches people in their own position.
I agree entirely, (that's really what I was trying to say, only not as concisely) - it took a while for me to realise that though.
The 'live in hope' comment is expected to be a vain hope.
E & OE

Darkyboy

Post by Darkyboy »

The thing is Roy it's still important to express opinions, even if they seem to go unheeded. Especially in an age where opinions are often deemed offensive. The terms racist, bigoted, xenophobe etc are used to try and close down debate and that cannot be allowed.
Free at last, free at last, thank God almighty, we are free at last.

deisegirl

Post by deisegirl »

Roy, would you ever entertain the idea that you might be wrong yourself from time to time?

Just a thought. I think both "sides" in D&D come across quite poorly so I think most of ye are wrong but then maybe I am wrong thinking ye are wrong :rolleyes:
Saggers is alive??!!

Roy Twing

Post by Roy Twing »

deisegirl wrote:Roy, would you ever entertain the idea that you might be wrong yourself from time to time?

Just a thought. I think both "sides" in D&D come across quite poorly so I think most of ye are wrong but then maybe I am wrong thinking ye are wrong :rolleyes:
I'm more than prepared to debate based upon documented or other evidence, and always prepared to admit if I've been proven wrong (it has happened on here) - but I have never personally attacked another poster before they have done so to me. In fact, I always post on the basis that I wouldn't write something I would be afraid of saying face to face.
So yes, I would entertain the idea, and believe it or not, I do enjoy good debate, it's just sadly lacking on here.

As a matter of interest, - why do you think I am wrong?
E & OE

Roy Twing

Post by Roy Twing »

Darkyboy wrote:The thing is Roy it's still important to express opinions, even if they seem to go unheeded. Especially in an age where opinions are often deemed offensive. The terms racist, bigoted, xenophobe etc are used to try and close down debate and that cannot be allowed.
Exactly, - unfortunately these people who throw such slurs around do so because it has become commonplace over many years from the establishment and its tame media, usually with no possibility of 'right to reply' .
E & OE

deisegirl

Post by deisegirl »

I never said I thought you were wrong - this fred has moved beyond any particular issue at this point anyway and I only skim over D&D most of the time. It's just the way you were saying you will continue to make your points in the hope others will realise they are wrong.
Saggers is alive??!!

Roy Twing

Post by Roy Twing »

deisegirl wrote:I never said I thought you were wrong - this fred has moved beyond any particular issue at this point anyway and I only skim over D&D most of the time. It's just the way you were saying you will continue to make your points in the hope others will realise they are wrong.
Maybe you should post more on d&d, and others like you, to give a wider interest range.
But there's not no getting away from the fact that there are a number of pre-eminent 'topical' issues at present, and they are bound to dominate whether many are interested or not.
As to your last point, - of course I believe I am right, and therefore by extension those with opposing views are wrong - and in my time on here I have very very rarely been proven wrong.
You did virtually say you thought I was wrong though by the way.
I can't argue with you that this thread has derailed though, but it would be enlightening if it were checked at what point the derailing began.
E & OE

Roddy

Post by Roddy »

The last poster to concede a view was Colinthemonkeywarrior when Hillman said the Post Office shares where undervalued and that was a a few years ago. :rolleyes:
You can only live in the world you know.The rest is just wishful thinking or paranoia.

"We shall not go to Canossa!"