Re: Political Correctness?

Post by Petingo »

Hillman avenger wrote:
Royal24s wrote:
Hillman avenger wrote:
Royal24s wrote:
Darkyboy wrote:
The Tick wrote:
m4rkb wrote:How come the French, Germans and others manage to function with gender specific nouns le, la die der das etc and aren't subjected to a bunch of fucking lunatics arguing the toss over them.

Imagine what it'd be like over here if we had them. We've have to rewrite the dictionary on every single word. For a start they'd argue whether woman was a female orientated word and man male orientated.

What's more, we'd actually entertain this bollocks.
French is French. English is English. But both have evolved over time to reflect changes in society. Indeed the French are concerned about the proliferation of English words and phrases into everyday dialogue in French society. But that's how things go. Nothing ever stays the same.
Interesting that you say that. I would imagine that our actor/ actress came from the French acteur/actrice. Therefore, it would make sense to keep the two terms. The French concern over terms like "le weekend" etc has nothing to do with it.
Well, both versions come from Latin, which also had a masculine and feminine version.
Point is that this sort of bollocks limits the scope of the language to express shades of meaning. Of course this wouldn't matter much to anyone who is so stupid as to take it seriously , because they probably only just manage to string a few simple words together anyway.
Words and language express thoughts, so what would it matter to someone like tick if the language is simplified? On the other hand , those who have a more complex thought process will require a more complex means of expressing it.
Of course , the whole word banning thing is really a means of controlling simple minded individuals and limiting , still further, their ability to understand logical arguments against those who wish to ration our word supply.
Since we get our ideas and information from words, they think that if they ban the words, they can gradually smother the ideas and information which they dislike , but cannot overcome with logic or truth.
Demented again
"Those who wish to ration our word supply" FFS Grow up
The only person taking this seriously is Twing.
The use of "actor" a gender-neutral has been around for years, and started in the US at the Academy Awards.
It's only bringing it into line with other gender-neutral words
Plumber
Electrician
Decorator
Bricklayer
Carpenter
Driver
Shop Assistant
Professor
Tutor
Counsellor
Teacher
Doctor
Nurse
Physiotherapist
etc
etc

There you go again with the name calling and insults !
Unfortunately, it's not demented because it's too hard for you to cope with intellectually or educationally .
If you can't grasp or accept the part about restricting words leading to restricting thought and expression, ( which is widely published as a policy in the former Soviet Union and Goebbels), surely you can understand that this particular case lessens the meaning of the word ?
All those random words you list demonstrate bugger all, except that you obviously don't understand Latin any better than you do English or many other things. Of course nouns can be neuter , and often have to be grammatically . Second declension nouns can ONLY be masculine or neuter can't they ?

I am increasingly though reluctantly drawn to the conclusion that it's a mistake to encourage poorly educated people to imagine that their strong opinions of things which they just don't understand are as valid as anyone else's .
Point missed as ever.
Fascinated by your second lot of comments about some people being too "poorly educated" to vote. This from someone who bangs on about "freedom"....
Must say though that if your idea had been followed we wouldn't be leaving the EU nor would Trump have got this far.
:lol:

That is a slam dunk, Royals....
Alex Young, Howard Kendall, Andy King, Timmy Cahill, Dixie Dean and Mike Parry.....we'll never see the likes of them again.

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

Royal24s wrote:
Hillman avenger wrote:
Royal24s wrote:
Well, both versions come from Latin, which also had a masculine and feminine version.
Point is that this sort of bollocks limits the scope of the language to express shades of meaning. Of course this wouldn't matter much to anyone who is so stupid as to take it seriously , because they probably only just manage to string a few simple words together anyway.
Words and language express thoughts, so what would it matter to someone like tick if the language is simplified? On the other hand , those who have a more complex thought process will require a more complex means of expressing it.
Of course , the whole word banning thing is really a means of controlling simple minded individuals and limiting , still further, their ability to understand logical arguments against those who wish to ration our word supply.
Since we get our ideas and information from words, they think that if they ban the words, they can gradually smother the ideas and information which they dislike , but cannot overcome with logic or truth.
Demented again
The use of "actor" a gender-neutral has been around for years, and started in the US at the Academy Awards.
Plumber
Electrician
Decorator
Bricklayer
Carpenter
Driver
Shop Assistant
Professor
Tutor
Counsellor
Teacher
Doctor
Nurse
Physiotherapist
etc
etc

Unfortunately, it's not demented because it's too hard for you to cope with intellectually or educationally .
If you can't grasp or accept the part about restricting words leading to restricting thought and expression, ( which is widely published as a policy in the former Soviet Union and Goebbels), surely you can understand that this particular case lessens the meaning of the word ?
All those random words you list demonstrate bugger all, except that you obviously don't understand Latin any better than you do English or many other things. Of course nouns can be neuter , and often have to be grammatically . Second declension nouns can ONLY be masculine or neuter can't they ?

I am increasingly though reluctantly drawn to the conclusion that it's a mistake to encourage poorly educated people to imagine that their strong opinions of things which they just don't understand are as valid as anyone else's .
Hooray.

While you're at it can you explain to him Referendum is a gerund not a noun like memorandum which pluralises as memoranda. As such, gerunds; being derived from verbs, DO NOT have plurals. He keeps wielding this pedantry over us like as though he's some kind of superior intellectual in the field of grammar.

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

Petingo wrote:
Hillman avenger wrote:
Royal24s wrote:
Hillman avenger wrote:
Royal24s wrote:
Darkyboy wrote:
The Tick wrote: French is French. English is English. But both have evolved over time to reflect changes in society. Indeed the French are concerned about the proliferation of English words and phrases into everyday dialogue in French society. But that's how things go. Nothing ever stays the same.
Interesting that you say that. I would imagine that our actor/ actress came from the French acteur/actrice. Therefore, it would make sense to keep the two terms. The French concern over terms like "le weekend" etc has nothing to do with it.
Demented again
Plumber
Electrician
Decorator
Bricklayer
Carpenter
Driver
Shop Assistant
Professor
Tutor
Counsellor
Teacher
Doctor
Nurse
Physiotherapist
etc
etc

Point missed as ever.
Fascinated by your second lot of comments about some people being too "poorly educated" to vote. This from someone who bangs on about "freedom"....
Must say though that if your idea had been followed we wouldn't be leaving the EU nor would Trump have got this far.

Well it might have been, except that I didn't say it !
I said that it might be a mistake to encourage poorly educated people to think their opinions about certain subjects are somehow as valid as those who have been schooled in them.
Hillman simply invented something about not letting them vote, then based that comment upon it.
Kindly read what I actually said.

In any case, I don't accept for one moment the idea that those who voted to leave the EU or Donald Trump are uneducated - that's just another bit of propaganda and it's quite untrue.
'"Beauty is truth, truth beauty,
That is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know".

Hillman avenger

Post by Hillman avenger »

Royal24s wrote:
Petingo wrote:
Hillman avenger wrote:
Royal24s wrote:
Hillman avenger wrote:
Royal24s wrote:
Darkyboy wrote:
Demented again
Plumber
Electrician
Decorator
Bricklayer
Carpenter
Driver
Shop Assistant
Professor
Tutor
Counsellor
Teacher
Doctor
Nurse
Physiotherapist
etc
etc

Point missed as ever.

Well it might have been, except that I didn't say it !
I said that it might be a mistake to encourage poorly educated people to think their opinions about certain subjects are somehow as valid as those who have been schooled in them.
So they are eliminated from having a say...and in what way does that differ from then being deprived of the vote? Do you have any concept of what your idea leads to? I too wish people were better informed when they participate in democracy, but the answer is to educate them, not discard them. Perhaps the most depressing aspect of the referendum was the absence of coherent, factual information. We even had one "leader" tell us "we have had enough of experts"...ie leave people uninformed and we can rely on their prejudice to win their vote. I campaigned in that time and I was shocked, even a week before the vote, as to how little people understood about the EU, the issues, the consequences of leaving. When the BBC to its credit, tried to present a balanced study,it got hammered on here.

Hillman simply invented something about not letting them vote, then based that comment upon it.
Kindly read what I actually said.

In any case, I don't accept for one moment the idea that those who voted to leave the EU or Donald Trump are uneducated - that's just another bit of propaganda and it's quite untrue.
Sorry, but it is. If I have time I will find the study re the referendum, but as regards Trump, have a look at the electoral map. There are very wide differences in educational attainment between states, and the states like all of New England, Illinois and California which are already in Clinton's column are the ones which dominate higher educational achievement. On the other hand, states like Aalabama and Mississippi, which are at the bottom of that table, are behind Trump.
http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/st ... referendum
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U ... attainment
Listen to Talksport and let it be a lesson to you

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

Taking a bit more notice of people who are more informed on a particular subject than those simply blowing air out or their arses does not in any way equate to depriving them of their vote. That is an insane interpretation.
I have opinions about football, but I don't think they're equal to those of Glen Hoddle or Arsen Wenger. I can accept that without fearing that they're going to disenfranchise me.

The massaged figures which you quote are simply manipulated bollocks intended to intimidate people from voting in a way which you suggest brands them as stupid or ill educated. It doesn't work any more or convince anyone except the most gullible people.

Hillman avenger

Royal24s wrote:Taking a bit more notice of people who are more informed on a particular subject than those simply blowing air out or their arses does not in any way equate to depriving them of their vote. That is an insane interpretation.
How would you define what experience is relevant to a particular issue? Who would decide who had those qualities? For someone so full of puffery about freedom, it's remarkable how unaware you are that your contradict yourself. The EU was a complex issue, and by your argument leave/stay should have been in the hands of "experts", which would have been economists, business people and our elected MPs..in which case there is not the slightest chance we would be leaving.

I have opinions about football, but I don't think they're equal to those of Glen Hoddle or Arsen Wenger. I can accept that without fearing that they're going to disenfranchise me.

The massaged figures which you quote are simply manipulated bollocks intended to intimidate people from voting in a way which you suggest brands them as stupid or ill educated. It doesn't work any more or convince anyone except the most gullible people.
It's remarkable that you so thoroughly fail to recognise that your argument has no legs. These are not polls, these are observations of facts. Like Twing, when you don't like reality, you tell us it isn't reality.

Roy Twing

Post by Roy Twing »

Hillman avenger wrote:
Royal24s wrote:Taking a bit more notice of people who are more informed on a particular subject than those simply blowing air out or their arses does not in any way equate to depriving them of their vote. That is an insane interpretation.
How would you define what experience is relevant to a particular issue? Who would decide who had those qualities? For someone so full of puffery about freedom, it's remarkable how unaware you are that your contradict yourself. The EU was a complex issue, and by your argument leave/stay should have been in the hands of "experts", which would have been economists, business people and our elected MPs..in which case there is not the slightest chance we would be leaving.

It's remarkable that you so thoroughly fail to recognise that your argument has no legs. These are not polls, these are observations of facts. Like Twing, when you don't like reality, you tell us it isn't reality.

To use your favourite line - please do explain where I have stated that reality is unreality, so that we can discuss further.
Thanks in advance.
E & OE

Hillman avenger

No Roy. You haven't SAID that.
But it's what you do.
Any news that contradicts your world view, you rubbish the source.
It's like smashing the mirror because you find out you're ugly.
BTW for you and all the complainers about the media...the only US network which refused to broadcast Michelle Obama's terrific speech...FOX NEWS..too busy trying to find ways to resurrect the shambles of Trump's campaign

Roy Twing

Post by Roy Twing »

Hillman avenger wrote:No Roy. You haven't SAID that.
But it's what you do.
Any news that contradicts your world view, you rubbish the source.
It's like smashing the mirror because you find out you're ugly.
BTW for you and all the complainers about the media...the only US network which refused to broadcast Michelle Obama's terrific speech...FOX NEWS..too busy trying to find ways to resurrect the shambles of Trump's campaign
You just categorically said that I tell you that reality is unreality, and in the very next digital breath you deny that you said I said it. :roll:

Deciphering your meanderings, what you mean by 'reality' is the horatio world view, which as we all know by now, is what the bbc tells you, - and if the bbc (or similar) hasn't told you, it does not exist.
E & OE

Rossco

Post by Rossco »

My personal view is that everyone is created equal. No one is better than anyone when we start out. Where we end up though in my personal opinion some are better than others. In many different ways. But that is normally only the extremes. Good and bad.

But this whole PC thing to me is another offshoot of Karl Marx and his belief system. He is a strange one is Marx. He once wrote this.

Then I will be able to walk triumphantly, Like a god, through the ruins of their kingdom Every word of mine is fire and action My breast is equal to that of the Creator

Ego on him. And yet he was for all the people. With that sort of ego in my finding someone like that would never see himself as an equal to someone he saw as below him. He even thought he was on equal terms with the Creator.

What people want to choose, that is up to them. But people like Marx push things onto people. What to believe, what to choose, how to live. Thought police type. Same as these PC hardcore types. I would guess a lot of them are big fans of Marx. People can choose what to believe, give, care, love and fight for themselves.

And this is always where they will lose me and my type. Who are they but another human being, how can they to tell me what I can and can't say or think, or believe. With man made laws that change on a whim to suit whatever agenda is being pushed at that time.

Commies at heart. How I see them and always will.
Psalm 23 - The Lord Is My Shepherd

Ralph
Forum Admin

Post by Ralph »

Rossco wrote:My personal view is that everyone is created equal. No one is better than anyone when we start out. Where we end up though in my personal opinion some are better than others. In many different ways. But that is normally only the extremes. Good and bad.

But this whole PC thing to me is another offshoot of Karl Marx and his belief system. He is a strange one is Marx. He once wrote this.

Then I will be able to walk triumphantly, Like a god, through the ruins of their kingdom Every word of mine is fire and action My breast is equal to that of the Creator

Ego on him. And yet he was for all the people. With that sort of ego in my finding someone like that would never see himself as an equal to someone he saw as below him. He even thought he was on equal terms with the Creator.

What people want to choose, that is up to them. But people like Marx push things onto people. What to believe, what to choose, how to live. Thought police type. Same as these PC hardcore types. I would guess a lot of them are big fans of Marx. People can choose what to believe, give, care, love and fight for themselves.

And this is always where they will lose me and my type. Who are they but another human being, how can they to tell me what I can and can't say or think, or believe. With man made laws that change on a whim to suit whatever agenda is being pushed at that time.

Bit like people using religious texts to back up what they already think. How many Christian even know that the Bible forbids mixing fabrics, eating shellfish & loads of other weird stuff that gets completely ignored.

Rossco

Post by Rossco »

Ralph wrote:
Rossco wrote:My personal view is that everyone is created equal. No one is better than anyone when we start out. Where we end up though in my personal opinion some are better than others. In many different ways. But that is normally only the extremes. Good and bad.

Bit like people using religious texts to back up what they already think. How many Christian even know that the Bible forbids mixing fabrics, eating shellfish & loads of other weird stuff that gets completely ignored.

Free will son. Free will. God doesn't force himself on anyone. Anyone can choose to walk away or follow. Spot the difference.

Shellfish? Fabrics? Think you need to learn a couple of things if that interested about the texts and other things Ralph. But if not, that is up to you. Free will dude.

Roy Twing

Post by Roy Twing »

Rossco wrote:
Exactly the point.
E & OE

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

Hillman avenger wrote:

Listen, don't accuse me of puffery - that's a step too far !

Again you're moving a stage forward with your arguments against something which you either IMAGINE or are PRETENDING that I said, which makes your accusation that Roy refuses to accept reality even more ridiculous.
Let's pause on this subject because it exemplifies my ACTUAL point. In the past I have noticed a bit of hole in your own education where it comes to Ontic Trust and the opposite philosophies of objective v subjective realities and moralities.Rather like Latin grammar and etymology which started this subject, I'm sure you were not taught such subjects.
What I therefore did was to explain the essentials to assist you, in the spirit in which someone explained them to me - albeit obviously not at such great length.
Now, I didn't invent or perfect these disciplines myself or anything, and like anyone else I had to study them, so I wasn't implying that you were unintelligent for not knowing about them . It was your reaction which was, frankly, less intelligent than I'd expected .
Instead of looking it up elsewhere to check what I'd said then making an effort to expand upon the seeds of knowledge I'd handed you with a good heart, you ignored it all and carried on arguing your original position, unconcerned whether it was factually correct and preferring to press your own ego than increase your wisdom.

Now, I strongly believe that everyone should have the opportunity to learn and that it is our duty to help each other improve ourselves in every way. I do try to do my part in this, and down the years I have been able to help quite a few people from regular backgrounds achieve great things and high office because I have encouraged them to the correct belief that they are, to quote my late mother," as good as any other bugger".
However, given these and other opportunities, we also have an opportunity to take advantage of them and do our own part. We cannot simply assume that the world stands still at the point when we are created equal and make no effort to learn AND apply that to deeds.
It is clear which people have taken that trouble and considered matters logically and morally before forming their opinions, or recommending them to others. Common sense would therefore lead those of us who have yet to reach their level of wisdom or specific knowledge to defer to them when we are unsure of the best way forward .
My point is that whilst we have to encourage people to explore all issues and form opinions, that does not mean that their initial efforts in this may be regarded as being reliable, or equal to those who have proved their abilities to learn by doing so and have been seen to apply these lessons successfully.

Again, nothing whatever to do with voting. You said that , not me.
In reaching a conclusion through public debate we must consider all opinions but at the same time we must give far more weight to some opinions than others, and if our intention is to discover the truth rather than inflate our own egos, we must acknowledge that some men will have a more powerful and useful input than ourselves. In this way, people progress and the occasions of deferring become less frequent because they have learned.
The current practise of considering the opinions of young inexperienced and often poorly educated people as equal in content to any other opinion will lead us all in the wrong direction AND prevent those young people from developing and honing their skills solidly.

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

Ralph wrote:

Ralph, that's just wrong mate. In short these are Jewish laws which are included as a history in the Christian Bible, but changed by the word of Our Lord Jesus Christ. That's why it's become a different religion to Judeaism .

Hillman avenger

Again, nothing whatever to do with voting. You said that , not me.

Remarkable. I asked you how you would do this, apart from denying voting to some, and you have completely failed to answer. I also asked you to explain WHAT would constitute "superiority" and WHO would make the decisions as to who was "OK" and who was not. No answer there either, nor to the point that the Leave campaign, and especially Gove, WANTED the dumbed-down to vote.
We all get frustrated when decisions are made we disagree with- and especially when we think people did not understand what they were speaking up for.But to propose a system where some people are excluded from decision-making is the complete opposite of the values you were espousing in the EU debate
Ironically, I spoke out against the idea of having PCCs, because there policing is an area where the people involved DO know better. That's not an argument for them being unaccountable.
In reaching a conclusion through public debate we must consider all opinions but at the same time we must give far more weight to some opinions than others, and if our intention is to discover the truth rather than inflate our own egos, we must acknowledge that some men will have a more powerful and useful input than ourselves. In this way, people progress and the occasions of deferring become less frequent because they have learned.
The current practise of considering the opinions of young inexperienced and often poorly educated people as equal in content to any other opinion will lead us all in the wrong direction AND prevent those young people from developing and honing their skills solidly.[/quote]

m4 colin

Post by m4 colin »

Of course the poorly educated and lower paid people make choices like Donald Trump and Brexit.
They are the people who suffer the worst from the actions of the likes of the Clinton's Bushes and Soros. and they have had enough of it.
I heard gods fast but I'd have to go up against him before I believe it

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

m4 colin wrote:Of course the poorly educated and lower paid people make choices like Donald Trump and Brexit.
They are the people who suffer the worst from the actions of the likes of the Clinton's Bushes and Soros. and they have had enough of it.
Socialists treat the "uneducated" like a spoilt brat three year old in a nursery school treats lego. The bricks are there for all to enjoy and make stuff with but woe betide any other poor kid comes along looking for a little fun with them, then its hair pulling, tantrums, screaming and shouts of "Its mine!! S'not fair!!!"
Proud Gammon

RIP Neil Peart 1952-2020.

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

Basualdo wrote:
m4 colin wrote:Of course the poorly educated and lower paid people make choices like Donald Trump and Brexit.
Socialists treat the "uneducated" like a spoilt brat three year old in a nursery school treats lego. The bricks are there for all to enjoy with but woe betide if any other poor kid comes along looking for a little fun with them, then its hair pulling, tantrums, screaming and shouts of "Its mine!! S'not fair!!!"
Well the Bushes, Clintons and Soros of this world aren't socialists at all so not sure what you and colin are alluding to here.

Ralph
Forum Admin

Post by Ralph »

Royal24s wrote:
Ralph wrote:

Ralph, that's just wrong mate. In short these are Jewish laws which are included as a history in the Christian Bible, but changed by the word of Our Lord Jesus Christ. That's why it's become a different religion to Judeaism .
Eh? So you're saying laws written in the Old Testament can all be ignored?

Ralph
Forum Admin

Post by Ralph »

The mythology of Donald Trump's working class support

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the ... s-support/

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

Ralph wrote:
Royal24s wrote:
Ralph wrote:

No. I'm saying that most of them can be. Those parts of the Law altered are altered and those not altered are not altered. However, the outcome of disobeying them is altered .
It's quite a complicated thing Ralph and I'd be delighted to explain it to you if you genuinely want to know, but it's not a subject to argue about for the sake of it. Nor is it one which anyone is likely to understand unless they study it properly and with the right attitude.
There are many many misconceptions about Christianity held by those who have simply pieced together aspects of it as related by other sources than scripture and study when these snippets have happened to crop up somewhere.
Quite a lot of things which people think are part of Christianity really aren't and yet they criticise and assess Christianity upon them.

Ralph
Forum Admin

Post by Ralph »

Royal24s wrote:
Ralph wrote:
Royal24s wrote:
Ralph wrote:

No. I'm saying that most of them can be. Those parts of the Law altered are altered and those not altered are not altered. However, the outcome of disobeying them is altered .
It's quite a complicated thing Ralph and I'd be delighted to explain it to you if you genuinely want to know, but it's not a subject to argue about for the sake of it. Nor is it one which anyone is likely to understand unless they study it properly and with the right attitude.
There are many many misconceptions about Christianity held by those who have simply pieced together aspects of it as related by other sources than scripture and study when these snippets have happened to crop up somewhere.
Quite a lot of things which people think are part of Christianity really aren't and yet they criticise and assess Christianity upon them.
Who decides which ones can be ignored?

We know right wing Christians don't ignore the bits in the Old Testament about homosexuality but do ignore the stuff about mixing fabrics etc. Seems like they're just picking & choosing to me. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Jesus doesn't mention homosexuality, yet some on the religious right seem fixated with it.

Isn't that a textbook example of people using a religious text to backup what they already think?

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

It's the "do as I say, not as I do" mentality that pervades in right wing Christian circles.

And conservative Islam is no better.

Rossco

Post by Rossco »

The Tick wrote:It's the "do as I say, not as I do" mentality that pervades in right wing Christian circles.

And conservative Islam is no better.
Get to fuck outha here with that nonsense.