Political Correctness?

In-depth debate on all topical issues
Roy Twing

Political Correctness?

Post by Roy Twing »

Just reading the celebrity has died thread, and didn't wan't to disrupt it, so I raise the point here.
I noticed in the obituary provided that the guardian described her as an actor rather than actress, - all the other news sources I looked at used 'actress', so, is this just a typo, or another example of 'gender neutrality' or whatever they call this nonsensical claptrap?
E & OE

Lou Grant

Re: Political Correctness?

Post by Lou Grant »

Has it gone mad again?
Come for the rampant misogyny, stay for the tedious bitching

Darkyboy

Post by Darkyboy »

I've noticed actresses being described as female actors over the last year or so. So we are still allowed to know that they are female, but they are equal to male actors. It does seem pretty ridiculous, but those of us in the real world, would still describe Jennifer Lawrence as an actress. If that "offends" anyone that's tough shit.
Free at last, free at last, thank God almighty, we are free at last.

m4 colin

Post by m4 colin »

Is the erroneous belief that you can pick up a Turd by the clean end !
I heard gods fast but I'd have to go up against him before I believe it

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

Why not refer to female actors as such, rather than actresses?

After all, female doctors aren't called doctor eases. Female engineers aren't called engineeresses.

Darkyboy

Post by Darkyboy »

Well, the fact that certain people do it, does need mean we all have to follow like sheep. Or do we call mothers, female fathers when the day comes?

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

I think the lady in question came from an era that would be beyond any nonsense deliberating how to describe her gender.

It's the modern day idiots with degrees in gender studies and other idiots pandering to them who are the problem.

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

Darkyboy wrote:Well, the fact that certain people do it, does need mean we all have to follow like sheep. Or do we call mothers, female fathers when the day comes?
the terms mother and father are gender specific as they refer to biological relations.

Actors, doctors were never intended as gender specific terms. I wouldn't even bother saying female actor, but just actor.

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

How come the French, Germans and others manage to function with gender specific nouns le, la die der das etc and aren't subjected to a bunch of fucking lunatics arguing the toss over them.

Imagine what it'd be like over here if we had them. We've have to rewrite the dictionary on every single word. For a start they'd argue whether woman was a female orientated word and man male orientated.

What's more, we'd actually entertain this bollocks.

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

m4rkb wrote:How come the French, Germans and others manage to function with gender specific nouns le, la die der das etc and aren't subjected to a bunch of fucking lunatics arguing the toss over them.

Imagine what it'd be like over here if we had them. We've have to rewrite the dictionary on every single word. For a start they'd argue whether woman was a female orientated word and man male orientated.

French is French. English is English. But both have evolved over time to reflect changes in society. Indeed the French are concerned about the proliferation of English words and phrases into everyday dialogue in French society. But that's how things go. Nothing ever stays the same.

Darkyboy

Post by Darkyboy »

The Tick wrote:
Darkyboy wrote:Well, the fact that certain people do it, does need mean we all have to follow like sheep. Or do we call mothers, female fathers when the day comes?
the terms mother and father are gender specific as they refer to biological relations.

Actors, doctors were never intended as gender specific terms. I wouldn't even bother saying female actor, but just actor.
And actress is gender specific ie a female who acts. Simple really.

subsub

Post by subsub »

I don't see how 'actress' is in any way demeaning, but there you go.
Just the female version of 'actor'.

The one that drives me mad is 'chairperson' - you either have a chairman or a chairwoman.
SIX-TIME CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

Darkyboy wrote:
The Tick wrote:

And actress is gender specific ie a female who acts. Simple really.
that was an add on, since such professions were male dominated historically even though the term actor was never gender specific. And it's a bit pointless to do so if we don't refer to female doctors as doctor eases. After all, a doctoress is a female who treats medical patients. A farmeress is a female who farms etc
Last edited by The Tick on Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Darkyboy

Post by Darkyboy »

subsub wrote:I don't see how 'actress' is in any way demeaning, but there you go.
Just the female version of 'actor'.

The one that drives me mad is 'chairperson' - you either have a chairman or a chairwoman.
Chairwoman, nonsense. You mean charwoman surely. :)

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

The Tick wrote:
m4rkb wrote:How come the French, Germans and others manage to function with gender specific nouns le, la die der das etc and aren't subjected to a bunch of fucking lunatics arguing the toss over them.

French is French. English is English. But both have evolved over time to reflect changes in society. Indeed the French are concerned about the proliferation of English words and phrases into everyday dialogue in French society. But that's how things go. Nothing ever stays the same.
Thanks for clearing that up. I've always been a bit foggy on that issue.

Have the frogs changed the gender of any of their words recently then due to a bunch of hysterical lesbians with hairy armpits?

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

m4rkb wrote:
The Tick wrote:

Thanks for clearing that up. I've always been a bit foggy on that issue.

Have the frogs changed the gender of any of their words recently then due to a bunch of hysterical lesbians with hairy armpits?
The French have had their own contentious changes to the native tongue as I alluded to earlier. And we have ours. Things change.

Darkyboy

Post by Darkyboy »

The Tick wrote:

Interesting that you say that. I would imagine that our actor/ actress came from the French acteur/actrice. Therefore, it would make sense to keep the two terms. The French concern over terms like "le weekend" etc has nothing to do with it.

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

m4rkb wrote:I think the lady in question came from an era that would be beyond any nonsense deliberating how to describe her gender.

It's the modern day idiots with degrees in gender studies and other idiots pandering to them who are the problem.
I got a bollocking from someone on here because I posted on another thread that I heard some Yank on the radio use the word 'craftpersonship' completely without any hint of irony.
Proud Gammon

RIP Neil Peart 1952-2020.

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

Darkyboy wrote:
The Tick wrote:

Interesting that you say that. I would imagine that our actor/ actress came from the French acteur/actrice. Therefore, it would make sense to keep the two terms. The French concern over terms like "le weekend" etc has nothing to do with it.
Well, both versions come from Latin, which also had a masculine and feminine version.
Point is that this sort of bollocks limits the scope of the language to express shades of meaning. Of course this wouldn't matter much to anyone who is so stupid as to take it seriously , because they probably only just manage to string a few simple words together anyway.
Words and language express thoughts, so what would it matter to someone like tick if the language is simplified? On the other hand , those who have a more complex thought process will require a more complex means of expressing it.
Of course , the whole word banning thing is really a means of controlling simple minded individuals and limiting , still further, their ability to understand logical arguments against those who wish to ration our word supply.
Since we get our ideas and information from words, they think that if they ban the words, they can gradually smother the ideas and information which they dislike , but cannot overcome with logic or truth.
'"Beauty is truth, truth beauty,
That is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know".

Hillman avenger

Post by Hillman avenger »

Royal24s wrote:
Darkyboy wrote:
The Tick wrote:

Well, both versions come from Latin, which also had a masculine and feminine version.
Point is that this sort of bollocks limits the scope of the language to express shades of meaning. Of course this wouldn't matter much to anyone who is so stupid as to take it seriously , because they probably only just manage to string a few simple words together anyway.
Words and language express thoughts, so what would it matter to someone like tick if the language is simplified? On the other hand , those who have a more complex thought process will require a more complex means of expressing it.
Of course , the whole word banning thing is really a means of controlling simple minded individuals and limiting , still further, their ability to understand logical arguments against those who wish to ration our word supply.
Since we get our ideas and information from words, they think that if they ban the words, they can gradually smother the ideas and information which they dislike , but cannot overcome with logic or truth.
Demented again
"Those who wish to ration our word supply" FFS Grow up
The only person taking this seriously is Twing.
The use of "actor" a gender-neutral has been around for years, and started in the US at the Academy Awards.
It's only bringing it into line with other gender-neutral words
Plumber
Electrician
Decorator
Bricklayer
Carpenter
Driver
Shop Assistant
Professor
Tutor
Counsellor
Teacher
Doctor
Nurse
Physiotherapist
etc
etc
Last edited by Hillman avenger on Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Listen to Talksport and let it be a lesson to you

Roy Twing

Post by Roy Twing »

Well, that's my initial question answered, - tick & horatio both give gender-neutral profession titles the thumbs up, so they must be politically correct.

Personally, I'll go with the experts:

http://oscar.go.com/news/nominations/os ... f-nominees

(Until they too are got at by the PC brigade).
E & OE

LaaLaa
Jedi Master

Post by LaaLaa »

I've noticed that in America they've been referring to actresses as actors for years.

Perhaps something to do with it not having the word 'man' in it, so a female fireman can object to the name and insist she's referred to a firewoman or a fireperson but it's actor not actorman so there's nothing to take offence to.
I really am a biatch

Hillman avenger

Post by Hillman avenger »

I can see what an important issue this is
Listen to Talksport and let it be a lesson to you

Roy Twing

Post by Roy Twing »

LaaLaa wrote:I've noticed that in America they've been referring to actresses as actors for years.

Perhaps something to do with it not having the word 'man' in it, so a female fireman can object to the name and insist she's referred to a firewoman or a fireperson but it's actor not actorman so there's nothing to take offence to.
As per my link above though, the oscar organisation still refers to 'actresses'.
E & OE

Roy Twing

Post by Roy Twing »

Hillman avenger wrote:I can see what an important issue this is
Just the tip of a big iceberg, hillperson.
E & OE