Dog attacks

In-depth debate on all topical issues
Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Re: Dog attacks

Post by Basualdo »

Reg wrote:As I've said every time before, if you have small kids, why on Earth would you take the risk of having a potentially deadly animal around them?

I undestand it's not the animal's "fault" - but even a well trained animal might react unpredictably in certain circumstances.

A small dog or a cat isn't going to maul a kid to death, however threatened or angry it feels.
Jack Russells will and sadly , have, quite frequently.
And I speak as someone who has a Jack Russell. But there is no way I would let him anywhere near a small child. Even though he is a placid dog, hes a terrier and its not worth even a small risk. When my wife's neices kids come round he goes straight into the garden for the duration.
Proud Gammon

RIP Neil Peart 1952-2020.

Reg

Post by Reg »

Basualdo wrote:
Reg wrote:As I've said every time before, if you have small kids, why on Earth would you take the risk of having a potentially deadly animal around them?

I undestand it's not the animal's "fault" - but even a well trained animal might react unpredictably in certain circumstances.

A small dog or a cat isn't going to maul a kid to death, however threatened or angry it feels.
And I speak as someone who has a Jack Russell. But there is no way I would let him anywhere near a small child. Even though he is a placid dog, hes a terrier and its not worth even a small risk. When my wife's neices kids come round he goes straight into the garden for the duration.
Really?

I admit I know nothing about dogs.
BE NICE TO EACH OTHER.

IF YOU CAN’T SAY SOMETHING KIND, SAY NOTHING AT ALL.

LET’S MAKE talkFORUM FUN AGAIN!

m4 colin

Post by m4 colin »

My dogs interact with children I watch diligently, the dogs facial expressions and their body language, no way i'd let that happen out of my sight I am pack leader even if we are having a good game someone elses kids rank nowhere
I heard gods fast but I'd have to go up against him before I believe it

Darkyboy

Post by Darkyboy »

Reg wrote:
Basualdo wrote:

Really?

Jack Russell dogs are aggy little fuckers, having been bred for fox hunting and the like. They have a serious case of small man syndrome.
Free at last, free at last, thank God almighty, we are free at last.

Reg

Post by Reg »

Darkyboy wrote:
Reg wrote:
Basualdo wrote:

Really?

Jack Russell dogs are aggy little fuckers, having been bred for fox hunting and the like. They have a serious case of small man syndrome.
Come to think of it, when I was a kid a little dog bit me in the face - I think it was a Scottish terrier.

I suppose if I'd been a toddler it might have been more serious.
BE NICE TO EACH OTHER.

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

m4 colin wrote:My dogs interact with children I watch diligently, the dogs facial expressions and their body language, no way i'd let that happen out of my sight I am pack leader even if we are having a good game someone elses kids rank nowhere
This makes perfect sense to me.

It reminds me of the time when I went round to see my mate whose dog I knew well. I fussed it and played with it so didn't think there was a problem until I went round when he was in bed due to working late at night. The fucking dog went straight for me and tore a chunk out of a brand new leather jacker taking half my arm with it. I've still got the shape of it's trap in the scar.

Same explanation from him when he got up. Without him there as leader he just saw it as territory to guard and everyone in it someone to attack , other than his kids of course who he also protected.

Reg

Post by Reg »

m4rkb wrote: Without him there as leader he just saw it as territory to guard and everyone in it someone to attack , other than his kids of course who he also protected.
Haven't there also been cases where dogs have attacked kids within its own "family", whom the dog knew well and lived with?
BE NICE TO EACH OTHER.

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

Reg wrote:
m4rkb wrote: Without him there as leader he just saw it as territory to guard and everyone in it someone to attack , other than his kids of course who he also protected.
Haven't there also been cases where dogs have attacked kids within its own "family", whom the dog knew well and lived with?
Plenty.
There's a dog attack story almost every other week where some kid gets savaged mostly by the family dog; Usually a Staff type dog owned by chavs.

Reg

Post by Reg »

m4rkb wrote:
Reg wrote:
Plenty.
There's a dog attack story almost every other week where some kid gets savaged mostly by the family dog; Usually a Staff type dog owned by chavs.
So how does that fit in with the idea that the dog knows his human family and protects them, and only attacks outisders?
BE NICE TO EACH OTHER.

m4 colin

Post by m4 colin »

Thats true but you have to ask 1 What is the dog for ? is it a family pet to be loved played with and included in your family life, or is it an extension of some bullshit macho image the owner has of himself, praised for showing aggression to both animals and humans. 2 How well are the kids trained ? do they know the rules ? like you dont bother the dog when he's eating or wanting to retreat . Remember the dog cant say not now kids I've got a headache /toothache . Do the kids know not to stick things in the dogs ears and never twist his bollocks cos if you do he will bite the shit out of you. There is much more to owning a dog than putting down a bowl of food now and again The more you put in the more you will get out so learn and engage.
I heard gods fast but I'd have to go up against him before I believe it

Rossco

Post by Rossco »

m4 colin wrote:
Rossco wrote:
The Ghost of Alex Higgins wrote:Dogs should not be near infants EVER. Ultimately unpredictable.
THIS....every time. Especially Terrier breeds. A baby crying, lying on the floor can seem like prey to some if they have a high prey drive. Hard to blame the dog as such. It is the owners fault really.

Sad case and cases like this all round.
A much more likely scenario is baby comes along,
Dog pushed out Dogs are very jealous (even worse than women) and if not introduced to the child and included in everything they can very quickly learn to hate the baby
Yeah that is an aspect as well in some cases. No doubt.
Psalm 23 - The Lord Is My Shepherd