Currently Reading

Friendly chat, will be moderated if necessary.
the puddin

Re: Currently Reading

Post by the puddin »

Moby Dick is excellent, but is very hard going.
"It's what we do...."

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

the puddin wrote:Moby Dick is excellent, but is very hard going.
sinbad shitgif k williams
Speaking for the rest of the forum since 2019

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Carlos J wrote:[...]

Now is a ponderer. 50p from a charity shop:

Or £1.99 from The Works:

Been meaning to read about Ahab for years, but maybe tending to some stupid that London cunts.
Sadly, puddin, went with the easier option, 'City Boy'. Was amusing in parts, most of the stuff known though some funny tales of coin, cunt and charlie. Liked the armchair psychology of what drives city types, as known by a former pal who is one of those twats you see on the tube at 6am having not been to bed before midnight. Great money, no life and anderson uses the cliché 'you can't take it with you'.

Live to work not work to live. do what you want now, not in 20 years time and wish you had done it 20 years earlier.

But then, disliked his I was a hippy lefty before blah and Goa and herb monologues. Yeah, you might be a young hippy, but young and old hippies in Goa are fucking the people there and that is also exploitative capitalism. :roll: As my old mate Raj, my acid guru, said many years ago and many years before I went to India, "Go with a few hundred pounds and you can life like a King for months. Go and live like a local." Some stockbroking hippy on an old Enfield riding off to parties getting fucked ain't a lot different from coke and east European strippers down nu-east London way IMO. But Anderson fails to square (mile, ha, no pun) that circle and being overly nit-picky.

A Carlos 6/10 easy, mostly amusing read.

So back onto that Dexter set of siix books bought for £14 from eBay last year. Was hit and miss with the TV series, some good, some bad, lots of filler and crap ending. Struggled last year to get into 'Darkly Dreaming Dexter' but persisted and fair at best. Second one 'Dearly Devoted Dexter' seems better so far as less 'dark passenger' back story. Golden rule broken though, always read books frst. Though looking at the synopsis of the third book, looks awful.

So yes, after book two, will be onto Ahab.

Kev, Roddy, Shabba, Notin, others. Anyone read 'No Mean City'? Ordered it from Amazon.
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Roddy

Post by Roddy »

Carlos J wrote:
Carlos J wrote:[...]

Now is a ponderer. 50p from a charity shop:

Or £1.99 from The Works:

Been meaning to read about Ahab for years, but maybe tending to some stupid that London cunts.
Sadly, puddin, went with the easier option, 'City Boy'. Was amusing in parts, most of the stuff known though some funny tales of coin, cunt and charlie. Liked the armchair psychology of what drives city types, as known by a former pal who is one of those twats you see on the tube at 6am having not been to bed before midnight. Great money, no life and anderson uses the cliché 'you can't take it with you'.

Live to work not work to live. do what you want now, not in 20 years time and wish you had done it 20 years earlier.

But then, disliked his I was a hippy lefty before blah and Goa and herb monologues. Yeah, you might be a young hippy, but young and old hippies in Goa are fucking the people there and that is also exploitative capitalism. :roll: As my old mate Raj, my acid guru, said many years ago and many years before I went to India, "Go with a few hundred pounds and you can life like a King for months. Go and live like a local." Some stockbroking hippy on an old Enfield riding off to parties getting fucked ain't a lot different from coke and east European strippers down nu-east London way IMO. But Anderson fails to square (mile, ha, no pun) that circle and being overly nit-picky.

A Carlos 6/10 easy, mostly amusing read.

So back onto that Dexter set of siix books bought for £14 from eBay last year. Was hit and miss with the TV series, some good, some bad, lots of filler and crap ending. Struggled last year to get into 'Darkly Dreaming Dexter' but persisted and fair at best. Second one 'Dearly Devoted Dexter' seems better so far as less 'dark passenger' back story. Golden rule broken though, always read books frst. Though looking at the synopsis of the third book, looks awful.

So yes, after book two, will be onto Ahab.

Kev, Roddy, Shabba, Notin, others. Anyone read 'No Mean City'? Ordered it from Amazon.
Mmm.Nego megen cegity is not eganythgin t do them thegin to do with them.nane of them stay in Glasga
You can only live in the world you know.The rest is just wishful thinking or paranoia.

"We shall not go to Canossa!"

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Fuck knows, but I did not stay in Glasgae and you know that.

Roddy

Post by Roddy »

Carlos J wrote:Fuck knows, but I did not stay in Glasgae and you know that.

Notin,Shabba,Kevin,Chris O have niver stayed in Glasgow.They are minted. :roll:
You can only live in the world you know.The rest is just wishful thinking or paranoia.

Roddy

Post by Roddy »

Shaba even sais that "I don't speack like the Yokils"

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

So, anything about the book, 'No Mean City', roddy?

Roddy

Post by Roddy »

It still goes on Carlos J,you could be out anywhere and someone may growl at you. and the malky will come out.

Ah like a lock back blade Beeky,if sum cunt comes at you with a Open razer you take yir gore tex jackit and wrap it around yir left arm and jab and slash with your blade that's in your right hand

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Stern words, roddy.

Roddy

Post by Roddy »

Carlos J wrote:Stern words, roddy.

Softly spoken...if it was a audio book.

Any books that you could recommend Carlos J.

Roddy

Post by Roddy »

Rebus is no more so I have been reading ian rankin's new books aboot Malcome Fox.

He is a grass who works for the coppers who are in the complaints.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Roddy wrote:

phpBB [video]

As per many times, Roddy, my two favourite books are Denis Diderot, 'Jacques the Fatalist': http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_nos ... e+fatalist

And Seth Barker, 'Homeboy': http://www.amazon.co.uk/Homeboy-Seth-Mo ... 0099801604

Also in the top 5 are 'Down and out in Paris and London' and 'Catch 22'. And read Wilde, Roddy. But read 'Homeboy'.

Roddy

Post by Roddy »

Carlos J wrote:
Roddy wrote:

phpBB [video]

As per many times, Roddy, my two favourite books are Denis Diderot, 'Jacques the Fatalist': http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_nos ... e+fatalist

And Seth Barker, 'Homeboy': http://www.amazon.co.uk/Homeboy-Seth-Mo ... 0099801604

Also in the top 5 are 'Down and out in Paris and London' and 'Catch 22'. And read Wilde, Roddy.

Ha,ha just jail books.I am 180 pages on to Memoirs from the house of the dead.

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

Roddy wrote:It still goes on Carlos J,you could be out anywhere and someone may growl at you. and the malky will come out.

Ah like a lock back blade Beeky,if sum cunt comes at you with a Open razer you take yir gore tex jackit and wrap it around yir left arm and jab and slash with your blade that's in your right hand
Back in 81 or 82 I was over in Glasgow for the old firm and a couple of my mates were in the Pride of Whitehill and were pally with some fellas in the Young Calvay. They were playing at a do at Port Glasgow Orange hall that night so asked a few of us to tag along as they had a bus arranged for the band. We got there and some fuckers from the Shankill from the Proddy Boys or SoU I cant remember which, were already there and well tanked. It wasnt long before those scrotes kicked it off but they got a fearful skelping. Malkys were out, women getting glassed, utter vicious mayhem. I spent the episode cowering under the bar then fled out the back bar door. The peelers heard that some Belfast cunts had started the trouble and started scooping anyone with an Ulster accent so I pretended to be Scotch.
The bus back to Glasgow had all the windows put in, was like the retreat from Moscow with the blood and injuries. We got back to the hotel bar (the Blythswood, i think) about 3am. Amazingly of the 5 of us none got hurt or lifted even though big Kenny Mac and Will Tate were wading in with the Scottish contingent into the Shankill wankers.
After that on any trips to Glasgow I stayed put in the Blue Star in Lorne St, the Quarter Gill in Duke St, the Grapes in Kinning Park or the 21 club for my after match drinking.

One day I may tell the tale of how I, personally, unwittingly started a full scale riot in Dublin with an act of kindness.
Proud Gammon

RIP Neil Peart 1952-2020.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Roddy wrote:
Carlos J wrote:
Roddy wrote:

phpBB [video]

Also in the top 5 are 'Down and out in Paris and London' and 'Catch 22'. And read Wilde, Roddy.
Diderot is not a jail book, Roddy, though maybe philosophically. Nor mostly is 'Homeboy'. Read 'Homeboy' but please read Diderot as well.

Roddy

Post by Roddy »

Carlos J wrote:
Roddy wrote:
Carlos J wrote:
Roddy wrote:

phpBB [video]

Diderot is not a jail book, Roddy, though maybe philosophically. Nor mostly is 'Homeboy'. Read 'Homeboy' but please read Diderot as well.
Duh,i am reading Fyodor Dostoevsky version of the house of the dead.

Roddy

Post by Roddy »

Basualdo wrote:
Roddy wrote:It still goes on Carlos J,you could be out anywhere and someone may growl at you. and the malky will come out.

Back in 81 or 82 I was over in Glasgow for the old firm and a couple of my mates were in the Pride of Whitehill and were pally with some fellas in the Young Calvay. They were playing at a do at Port Glasgow Orange hall that night so asked a few of us to tag along as they had a bus arranged for the band. We got there and some fuckers from the Shankill from the Proddy Boys or SoU I cant remember which, were already there and well tanked. It wasnt long before those scrotes kicked it off but they got a fearful skelping. Malkys were out, women getting glassed, utter vicious mayhem. I spent the episode cowering under the bar then fled out the back bar door. The peelers heard that some Belfast cunts had started the trouble and started scooping anyone with an Ulster accent so I pretended to be Scotch.
The bus back to Glasgow had all the windows put in, was like the retreat from Moscow with the blood and injuries. We got back to the hotel bar (the Blythswood, i think) about 3am. Amazingly of the 5 of us none got hurt or lifted even though big Kenny Mac and Will Tate were wading in with the Scottish contingent into the Shankill wankers.
After that on any trips to Glasgow I stayed put in the Blue Star in Lorne St, the Quarter Gill in Duke St, the Grapes in Kinning Park or the 21 club for my after match drinking.

One day I may tell the tale of how I, personally, unwittingly started a full scale riot in Dublin with an act of kindness.
It's great when people getting stuck in and your heart goes like fuck and then you don't bleed. :lol:

Roddy

Post by Roddy »

Roddy wrote:
Carlos J wrote:
Roddy wrote:

phpBB [video]

I'm not as sad as Doestoevsky,
I'm not as clever as Mark Twain,
I'll only buy a book for the way it looks,
And then I stick it on the shelf again.

kevin04

Post by kevin04 »

Bellend. Rupert Bell fanclub - MEMBER.

Roddy

Post by Roddy »

Just starting it.

Man_called_sun

Post by Man_called_sun »

Post-War & Peace fare:

One day I am going to grow wings
A chemical reaction
Hysterical and useless

Man_called_sun

Post by Man_called_sun »

One day I am going to grow wings
A chemical reaction
Hysterical and useless

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Having a lazy summer of charity shop thrillers. Read a few Morse, a couple of James Patterson, a Jack Reacher, the one that little queer chap Cruise did a film of and a John Rain. All easy page turners, though Morse are good.

Did read Fergie's updated biography which was 50p and next up Kenny Noye's biography, 30p.

kevin04

Post by kevin04 »

Bellend. Rupert Bell fanclub - MEMBER.