Separate thread

Friendly chat, will be moderated if necessary.
JimmyDee

Re: Separate thread

Post by JimmyDee »

So they are!
I wear mine on a Larry Grayson-style cord around my neck (see pic).

Why is there a life-belt strapped to the side of the digger, btw? Were they expecting rain?
"You don't have a world-view by just saying you hate Trump" - Norm Macdonald

"It seems as if every time I turn the station on at the moment this fucking mouth breather is polluting the airwaves with untrammeled bollocks." - MGA99

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

rorymac wrote:
JimmyDee wrote:
Steve Hunt wrote:Uncanny
It is, indeed uncanny how little a politician in obviously-new and spotless Hi-vis gear resembles me, a man in the middle of a job. Where's the fag in Cameron's hand, eh? No, not THAT sort of fag :-)
Real men, you'll note, don't do that "manful gazing into the middle-distance".
That's YOU told :-)

===
What HAS he got in his hand, btw? Looks like one of those things dentists and Japanese bukkake-vid makers use.
Those are safety spectacles Jim 8)
You got a big 'tache, Jim?
Please don't hoover up all the bollocks for yourself. Leave some for others.

JimmyDee

Post by JimmyDee »

kancutlawns wrote:You got a big 'tache, Jim?
No, that's dirt.

"It seems as if every time I turn the station on at the moment this fucking mouth breather is polluting the airwaves with untrammeled bollocks." - MGA99

rorymac

Post by rorymac »

What I'm talking about .. fantastic stuff
I worked on the roads myself when I first came over .. hard graft soon turned that young guy into a man
Never looked back .. my uncle PJ still says it 'I made you into a man didn't I' ? he says .. 'yes you did uncle PJ' I always reply truthfully.

<squints into distance like Jim and Uncle PJ>

JimmyDee

Post by JimmyDee »

rorymac wrote:<squints into distance like Jim and Uncle PJ>
Looking for a woman to ogle, or a pie-shop :-)

JimmyDee

Post by JimmyDee »

Talk about being at a loose end ... I've just looked up on Google Earth where we laid that road. Rydens Way, Woking, if you live near there and want to conduct a Ceremony of some kind. Maybe put some flowers down or unveil a plaque.
They've changed the layout since then, by the looks of it.

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Woking's a decent area. Town Centre is a bit shit. Know Knaphill well and the area close to Brookwood Cemetery. Very popular place for people who work up in the City. Prefer the smaller Weybridge.
Please don't hoover up all the bollocks for yourself. Leave some for others.

JimmyDee

Post by JimmyDee »

Woking was OK, but I didn't see much of the town itself.

Best location: Westerham. Even the charity shops were dead posh; plus the actual "Clackett's Lane" was just down the road. I mean the lane itself, not the eponymous service station.

Worst location: Margate. You can easily judge a town by the High Street shops, and those in Margate went bookies/letting agency/fast-food shop/charity shop/bookies/bookies/fast-food/"domestic dispute" lawyer/letting agency/charity/bookies etc. That particular job was enlivened by a punch-up I witnessed within two minutes of pulling into a side-street for my pre-shift energy-enhancing pork pie. "Sorry about that", said the winner to me afterwards, "only he owed me a fiver".

Most noteable location: Jesus Lane, Cambridge. Just down the road from "Christ's Pieces".
Second most noticeable location: "Harebeating Lane", Hailsham.

I could go on, but it occurs to me that this thread isn't exactly "keeping it TalkSport". I'll ask the mods nicely to move it somewhere.

rorymac

Post by rorymac »

I can't remember the name of the road but it was about a mile long in Mitcham .. widening it. I was on the shovel and dumper truck and crane for the heading job. 4 yards of dryleen and hoggin manually into the bucket then down the hole. I remember driving the dumper to the scrap yard every other Friday and we'd split the proceeds for the old lead cable. Then to the Castle in the Elephant .. pints of Guinness followed by rum and black .. waking up on the platform in Kensal Green and straight back in for the full shift on a Saturday. I hadn't even pissed myself !!!
Lads used to ask me if I got the ride over the weekend.

You know the apple Jim .. great work fella 8)

JimmyDee

Post by JimmyDee »

There was a lovely "proper" documentary on BBC4 recently about the building of the Severn Bridge, the highlight of which was, for me, right at the end, where they're tarmacing the entire span with hand-held buckets of gear thrown down and smoothed-over with men on their hands and knees with sort of scrubbing-brush thingies. I bet they all went on strike when management tried to introduce those new-fangled Paving-machines :-)

This thread may, or may not be moved to "Open Chat" ere long.

JimmyDee

Post by JimmyDee »

May I remind everyone down my road that the rubbish will be collected on MONDAY, and the recycling next SATURDAY and then it's back to normal.

Chris

Post by Chris »

*bump*