Guitars.

Friendly chat, will be moderated if necessary.
theleader82

Guitars.

Post by theleader82 »

Hello. I was wondering is there much difference between epiphone and Gibson guitars? I was thinking of treating myself to a new one as the one I have is very basic starter guitar and I have improved a lot recently. Gibson just seem a bit t pricey. I quite like the sg style like Angus young uses.
MJInnocent

warmleatherette

Re: Guitars.

Post by warmleatherette »

theleader82 wrote:Hello. I was wondering is there much difference between epiphone and Gibson guitars? I was thinking of treating myself to a new one as the one I have is very basic starter guitar and I have improved a lot recently. Gibson just seem a bit t pricey. I quite like the sg style like Angus young uses.
No there's not "much" difference at all, just a little bit, also there can be a massive difference in two seemingly identical guitars regardless of brand or model, when you pay the big money you're paying for a good standard off the shelf, they should all be pretty much the same but that doesn't always work out.

The only way to work it out is to pick it up and play it, if you're an "improver" Epiphone shouldn't hold you back, plenty of time to get fussy on tone when you're good enough to know what that is :-)

Regardless of brand or quality (within reason) it's worth getting it "set up" by someone who knows what they're doing, a good guitar tech can make a massive difference to the playability of even a cheap and cheerful guitar.
Brilliantly Honest

theleader82

Post by theleader82 »

warmleatherette wrote:
theleader82 wrote:Hello. I was wondering is there much difference between epiphone and Gibson guitars? I was thinking of treating myself to a new one as the one I have is very basic starter guitar and I have improved a lot recently. Gibson just seem a bit t pricey. I quite like the sg style like Angus young uses.
No there's not "much" difference at all, just a little bit, also there can be a massive difference in two seemingly identical guitars regardless of brand or model, when you pay the big money you're paying for a good standard off the shelf, they should all be pretty much the same but that doesn't always work out.

The only way to work it out is to pick it up and play it, if you're an "improver" Epiphone shouldn't hold you back, plenty of time to get fussy on tone when you're good enough to know what that is :-)

Regardless of brand or quality (within reason) it's worth getting it "set up" by someone who knows what they're doing, a good guitar tech can make a massive difference to the playability of even a cheap and cheerful guitar.
.thanks. Yes I'd class myself as an improver. I think for now an epiphone wouldn't be fine or an ibanez. I like that epiphone have the classic styles . I've got a Yamaha now which is about 20 years old but keeps going out of tune straight away. I hope that won't happen with an epiphone
MJInnocent

warmleatherette

Post by warmleatherette »

theleader82 wrote:
warmleatherette wrote:

.thanks. Yes I'd class myself as an improver. I think for now an epiphone wouldn't be fine or an ibanez. I like that epiphone have the classic styles . I've got a Yamaha now which is about 20 years old but keeps going out of tune straight away. I hope that won't happen with an epiphone
I've had two Epiphones and both were excellent, the build is good and the fittings all great quality, you may be able to improve your Yamaha by tightening up the machine heads, nothing worse than a guitar that doesn't stay in tune :-)

http://acousticguitar.com/fixing-loose-tuners/
Brilliantly Honest

dagbladet

Post by dagbladet »

I'm a first year 'improver'. I've not got five guitars, 4 of them second hand off eBay for £35-60. Even to my untrained ear two of them were a bit 'flat' until i put a new set of strings on them and they came back to life. I've got all the guitars I need for now but even I decide to move up it will probably be to an epiphone, probably second hand again. As an aside when you say your Yamaha is constantly going out of tune is it one or two strings or all of them? If it's all of them are they consistently all high or low? This time of year can have quite an effect. If I've had one in the car then take it into a warm room it'll inevitably need a tweak. I assume you're keeping it away from the radiator. A Gibson would be wasted on me for a long time yet. When I can barre a chord I'll maybe look on eBay for the epi.

theleader82

Post by theleader82 »

dagbladet wrote:I'm a first year 'improver'. I've not got five guitars, 4 of them second hand off eBay for £35-60. Even to my untrained ear two of them were a bit 'flat' until i put a new set of strings on them and they came back to life. I've got all the guitars I need for now but even I decide to move up it will probably be to an epiphone, probably second hand again. As an aside when you say your Yamaha is constantly going out of tune is it one or two strings or all of them? If it's all of them are they consistently all high or low? This time of year can have quite an effect. If I've had one in the car then take it into a warm room it'll inevitably need a tweak. I assume you're keeping it away from the radiator. A Gibson would be wasted on me for a long time yet. When I can barre a chord I'll maybe look on eBay for the epi.
It used to just be a couple that went out of tune , now it seems to be most of them. I should just take to a guitar centre really and get them to have a look. I think I didn't replace the strings properly after they broke.
MJInnocent

dagbladet

Post by dagbladet »

My first string change went badly, had to have it re-re-strung at the shop. My second attempt went fine. I think because my guitars are not very expensive I'm prepared to be a bit bold with string changes. Worst that can happen is totally knacker something that cost £45ish. Two of mine rarely need tuning, the others maybe a little every few thrashes. Does yours go out after a very short time?

theleader82

Post by theleader82 »

dagbladet wrote:My first string change went badly, had to have it re-re-strung at the shop. My second attempt went fine. I think because my guitars are not very expensive I'm prepared to be a bit bold with string changes. Worst that can happen is totally knacker something that cost £45ish. Two of mine rarely need tuning, the others maybe a little every few thrashes. Does yours go out after a very short time?
Yes after a very short time. I'm not very good at practical things so would rather have some in shop have a look, or il watch some YouTube videos
MJInnocent

dagbladet

Post by dagbladet »

If it's since you changed the strings it sounds like maybe there's too many 'winds' around the pegs and it's still all settling up there or you maybe didn't stretch the strings enough? I wouldn't give up on it, unless the neck is actually broken it can be sorted. On the other hand if the funds can stretch to an epi or a Gibson then fill yer boots.

Sid Pervcat

Post by Sid Pervcat »

Les Paul Custom is all the guitar you will ever need
8)
I released the blob must to my darkest dread

But its mint choc chip which is the ice cream flavour of Satan's spermatozoa

Careful now, you’re being beastly to Leado and this canno he totlerated.

About to get underway at the Berbabeu

Bad Blue 2000

Post by Bad Blue 2000 »

Copies are fine.

Learn how to play on a acoustic first.
I HEAR YOU KNOCKIN', BUT YOU CAN'T COME IN...