Any Gas Engineers Out There?

Friendly chat, will be moderated if necessary.
Zambo

Any Gas Engineers Out There?

Post by Zambo »

Or someone savi with combi boilers.

My daughter has a combi boiler, which I believe does not have a pre-heat function, so the only noise I would expect from it, is when it fires up to heat hot water (when a tap is turned on) or for central heating.

However, as soon as the boiler is turned on so that these functions can operate when required, there is a humming noise coming from it.

Haven't got a clue about combis so don't even know if this could be fan or pump noise, but wouldn't expect those to kick off at that point anyway.

Any thoughts folks?
Don't always believe what you think, because sometimes its' a load of shite

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Re: Any Gas Engineers Out There?

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

According to talkSPORT, you will need MAXIFLOW
Speaking for the rest of the forum since 2019

Steve Hunt
Winner POTY - 2010 !!!!

Post by Steve Hunt »

Zambo wrote:Or someone savi with combi boilers.

My daughter has a combi boiler, which I believe does not have a pre-heat function, so the only noise I would expect from it, is when it fires up to heat hot water (when a tap is turned on) or for central heating.

However, as soon as the boiler is turned on so that these functions can operate when required, there is a humming noise coming from it.

Haven't got a clue about combis so don't even know if this could be fan or pump noise, but wouldn't expect those to kick off at that point anyway.

Any thoughts folks?
Yes - don't fuck about with it yourself, Zambo.

Fucking registered Gas Safe technicians (formerly CORGI) cost a bloody fortune, but you really cannot tamper around with this yourself. It needs to be looked at, rectified and then certified, especially if it is your daughter, mate.
If Arsenal were playing in my back garden, I would draw the curtains.

ENIC OUT

https://www.smava.de/european-debt-clock/

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

Listen to Steve. Remember what happened when you started titting about with your pc. Dust off the wallet.
Speaking for the rest of the forum since 2019

AlcoholBrazil

Post by AlcoholBrazil »

I'll be round with my hammer and blowtorch, Zambo. Just finish these 3 tins of Spesh then I'll make your boiler as safe as house.
Boris " Do not look at what I am doing, Look how cute and adorable Dilyn is.....Look at Dilyn ! "

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

I wonder if anyone has gone on a gas fitters forum and asked for humourous doctored pictures of Alan Brazil?
Proud Gammon

RIP Neil Peart 1952-2020.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

All advice gratefully accepted. The blowtorch and hammer is favourite at the minute :D

Granite

Post by Granite »

Zambo. A long time ago I registered and asked a central heating question on this forum:
http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/centr ... ing-forum/
I got several replies, although most were along the lines of "get a Gas Safe guy in".
Anyhoo, it may be worth a try.
Fools Panel League One Champion 2016/17 (B)

antdad

Post by antdad »

Combination boilers are fairly complex fragile creatures so they really should be serviced annually.

If it isn't flashing any fault codes it could be something and nothing, even so do find someone GSR registered to look at it and get it serviced as well if it hasn't been.

A service if nowt wrong shouldn't be much more than £70 or £80 depending on location, if something else wrong well who knows. What is the make and model?

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Granite wrote:Zambo. A long time ago I registered and asked a central heating question on this forum:
http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/centr ... ing-forum/
I got several replies, although most were along the lines of "get a Gas Safe guy in".
Anyhoo, it may be worth a try.
Cheers Granite.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

antdad wrote:Combination boilers are fairly complex fragile creatures so they really should be serviced annually.

If it isn't flashing any fault codes it could be something and nothing, even so do find someone GSR registered to look at it and get it serviced as well if it hasn't been.

A service if nowt wrong shouldn't be much more than £70 or £80 depending on location, if something else wrong well who knows. What is the make and model?
Just found out that her landlord is a gas engineer ffs :oops:

She moved in, in July and it was serviced and safety checked just before. This situation has always been there, and these boilers have bee knocking about for donkeyz apparently, so maybe just showing it's age, but will get her to contact him, as I think combis are supposed to be silent until you want something from them even if switch is in on position.

warmleatherette

Post by warmleatherette »

Probably a solenoid valve buzzing, get it looked at but if that's what it is it's nothing to worry about safety wise, if it's a fan siezed stay a few roads away just to be safe :-)
Brilliantly Honest

antdad

Post by antdad »

It's one of those things, they are silent to an extent but if it re-passes an inspection she might have to live with it unless it''s keeping her awake and she's prepared to make a right fuss.

carcinogen

Post by carcinogen »

check-a-trade
Fred Kite: I've got to be off. I can't stay here arguing. I've got a lot to do. Report to the Executive, check up on the pickets.
Mrs. Kite: From what I can see, the only time you ever jolly well *do* any work is when you're on strike.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

antdad wrote:It's one of those things, they are silent to an extent but if it re-passes an inspection she might have to live with it unless it''s keeping her awake and she's prepared to make a right fuss.
Yeah, she's one of the lucky ones, the landlord seems to be a reasonable bloke. Has let her make some moderations and stick a cat flap in. I'm sure he'll sort this out, but just wondered what the prob might be. Making sure it's not dangerous is the only concern really.

Thanks for all of the comments.