Advice

Friendly chat, will be moderated if necessary.
genehunt1973

Advice

Post by genehunt1973 »

Bit of advice needed ,I work in a warehouse and my employer provides safety footwear which is shite,so i have been buying my own for the last 2 years ,however last night my supervisor said i cant wear them now as i have to wear the ones provided even though my own are all european safety standard? Can i tell him to do one?
I have greatest respect for Rugby Union, they started it mid-way through the 19th century. Thankfully we grabbed it and turned it into a spectacle on 29th August 1895

Zambo

Re: Advice

Post by Zambo »

genehunt1973 wrote:Bit of advice needed ,I work in a warehouse and my employer provides safety footwear which is shite,so i have been buying my own for the last 2 years ,however last night my supervisor said i cant wear them now as i have to wear the ones provided even though my own are all european safety standard? Can i tell him to do one?
I'd say check your company's Ts and Cs for employees (company handbook?) and see if it is mentioned in there. Seems a bit pedantic to me, if you are wearing boots that confirm to safety standards. The only thing I would say is that if sustained an injury to your foot whilst wearing your own, you may not be insured.

ps just found this.

If an employee genuinely and voluntarily prefers to provide their own protective clothing (including boots) they may. The employer could let the employee purchase their own safety boots and then reimburse them for the cost on presentation of the receipt. This would be acceptable, as long as the employer bears the full cost, and ensures that the boots offer adequate protection and that they are worn to minimise the hazard.

If the employee later asks the employer to provide safety boots and gives a reasonable period of notice, then the employer must provide them with the boots.
Don't always believe what you think, because sometimes its' a load of shite

genehunt1973

Post by genehunt1973 »

Yeah i read that too Zambo but knowing my place the will choose to ignore that
I have greatest respect for Rugby Union, they started it mid-way through the 19th century. Thankfully we grabbed it and turned it into a spectacle on 29th August 1895

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Think he needs to put in writing why you can't wear the boots and get a signature from yourself as well as a H&S Manager otherwise without this, there is nothing binding and you can tell him to do one.
Please don't hoover up all the bollocks for yourself. Leave some for others.

Sadact7

Post by Sadact7 »

genehunt1973 wrote:Bit of advice needed ,I work in a warehouse and my employer provides safety footwear which is shite,so i have been buying my own for the last 2 years ,however last night my supervisor said i cant wear them now as i have to wear the ones provided even though my own are all european safety standard? Can i tell him to do one?
If your boots conform to all the same safety specifications as the ones they want you to wear I don't think there should be an issue.

The only stumbling block I can envision would be if it is in your contract that you have to wear standard issue PPE while on their site. Ask if you can see a copy of your employment contract.

Also, if you're spending a lot of time on your feet it would be worth pointing out that your current boots are perfectly comfortable and you'd rather not switch to a different pair which may not fit so well.
I was bummed by the ghost of Liberace

carcinogen

Post by carcinogen »

Not sure what your relationship is like with your GP, but if it's good I'd get your doctor to write a note or letter or something and say that you have to wear a specific type footwear. The way to fight a Little Hitler is to bombard the cunt with more administration than they can handle. Failing that, kick the fucking cunt in the head with your steel toe-caps untill he comes to his senses. The bloke sounds like a sad little prick. Can't you get another job with a boss who isn't clearly a fucking cunt?
Fred Kite: I've got to be off. I can't stay here arguing. I've got a lot to do. Report to the Executive, check up on the pickets.
Mrs. Kite: From what I can see, the only time you ever jolly well *do* any work is when you're on strike.

Sid Pervcat

Post by Sid Pervcat »

Or just wear the correct PPE as indicated in your Terms and conditions.
The supervisor as the duty holder, has to apply local and legislative H&S regulations.Your company has to comply with the HASAW act by providing the correct PPE for the job.
If your T's and C's state you must wear what's issued...wear what's issued.
Personally, as long as safety footwear conformed to the regulatory standards and was fit for purpose I wouldn't give a fuck but it depends on your company's policy.
I released the blob must to my darkest dread

But its mint choc chip which is the ice cream flavour of Satan's spermatozoa

Careful now, you’re being beastly to Leado and this canno he totlerated.

About to get underway at the Berbabeu

Dinger

Post by Dinger »

Mooncat wrote:Or just wear the correct PPE as indicated in your Terms and conditions.
You don't know what is indicated in his terms and conditions, as you wibbled on to demonstrate.
Mooncat wrote:If your T's and C's state you must wear what's issued...wear what's issued.
Personally, as long as safety footwear conformed to the regulatory standards and was fit for purpose I wouldn't give a fuck but it depends on your company's policy.
Dear oh dear m00nO, comfort is the issue... you seem to have missed that :D

Gene I'd try and show that your current comfy footwear meets the company standards from a safety point of view but if that is not good enough then you're likely on a shitty wicket old pal. These company boots could be argued as mandatory as a uniform or from presentation standpoint. What does everyone else have to wear?
Who goads the goaders?

Sid Pervcat

Post by Sid Pervcat »

Shut up you prick.
I released the blob must to my darkest dread

But its mint choc chip which is the ice cream flavour of Satan's spermatozoa

Careful now, you’re being beastly to Leado and this canno he totlerated.

About to get underway at the Berbabeu

Dinger

Post by Dinger »

Your lad posted something very similar in another 'fred.

Like father like son :wink:
Who goads the goaders?

AlcoholBrazil

Post by AlcoholBrazil »

Provided footwear tend to be cheap imported ill-fitting shite that give you blisters . The health of your feet trumps any job.
Two blistered feet and you're practically disabled. I'd take photos of any feet injuries as proof should it come to a tribunal.
Boris " Do not look at what I am doing, Look how cute and adorable Dilyn is.....Look at Dilyn ! "

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

I've got a pair (a few pairs actually) of Desert Storm army boots , the new improved version they made after the squaddies complained about them. They look like safety boots to the untrained eye but are as comfortable and lightweight as a pair of slippers. The best boot ever made.

I'm nimble in them unlike traditional safety boots and don't run the risk of killing myself by losing my footing in pairs that have got steel plates in the bottom, don't bend and feel like two wooden boxes built around your feet. Tthey easily pass for proper workboots if I need them say on someone else's H&S obsessed job.

davidarthur

Post by davidarthur »

On a slightly unrelated point if you are buying protective footwear, googles or anything else which is required for your job then you can claim this as a tax deductible expense. Also if you wear clothing which has a logo on it then you can claim a fixed amount for cleaning which again is fully tax deductible (assuming you clean it rather than your employer). You can also go back 4 years to make a claim and get interest on the tax over paid so it can all add up.

I provide tax advice for a living and it's amazing how many people aren't aware of what you can legitimately claim.

Apples99

Post by Apples99 »

I work in health and safety for a living.

Your employer must provide adequate boots to carry the work out safely although these should be a last resort for protection. If the boots are ill fitting and uncomfortable they are not adequate to carry out your job. I would advise to speak to HR and possibly claim the boots are hurting and may cause injury. That should soon change their minds.

My company a limited set amount each year to each employee and they can get any boots they want. Everybody is happy with this arrangement.

Hillman avenger

Post by Hillman avenger »

It may be that the employer has a provision in its insurance policy which insists that protective footwear is provided and used.

The implication of that is that it could not allow employees to choose the footwear it likes best.

As far as tax allowances are concerned, if the revenue found out that he was provided with footwear ( whether he likes it or not) but he chose to buy his own, they would surely challenge the allowance?
Listen to Talksport and let it be a lesson to you

davidarthur

Post by davidarthur »

Hillman avenger wrote:It may be that the employer has a provision in its insurance policy which insists that protective footwear is provided and used.

The implication of that is that it could not allow employees to choose the footwear it likes best.

As far as tax allowances are concerned, if the revenue found out that he was provided with footwear ( whether he likes it or not) but he chose to buy his own, they would surely challenge the allowance?
Agreed that if footwear is bought for you then no allowance for tax purposes. However the cost of cleaning clothing (even though it's provided by your employer) is allowable assuming your employer doesn't also clean it for you.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Always good advice, David, for a lot of people do not know that if they wash uniforms.
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?