Peak District

Friendly chat, will be moderated if necessary.
theleader82

Peak District

Post by theleader82 »

I'm off next week and thought I might head up to the Peak District for about 3 days, never been before. What's the best town/village to base yourself in with close access to the best walks? I'm probably going to stay in yha.
MJInnocent

henrycrs

Re: Peak District

Post by henrycrs »

Chesterfield is good for a night out and near enough to Kinder Scout

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Try the Flights of Abraham. Quite a demanding climb but the reward is a cable car ride over some amazing scenery. You'll love it.
Please don't hoover up all the bollocks for yourself. Leave some for others.

theleader82

Post by theleader82 »

kancutlawns wrote:Try the Flights of Abraham. Quite a demanding climb but the reward is a cable car ride over some amazing scenery. You'll love it.
I think that's near Matlock . It's meant to be nice round there. I know the hills aren't that high but should be some good walks. Hopefully won't tai too much but I'll be prepared for that.
MJInnocent

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Yeah, it's in Matlock Bath just outside Matlock. Sundays you get loads of bikers there.
kancutlawns wrote:Try the Flights of Abraham. Quite a demanding climb but the reward is a cable car ride over some amazing scenery. You'll love it.
Err, Heights of Abraham, kancut. ;)

Not sure which way you coming from, Leader, but at the south of the Peak District is Dovedale and the villages of Thorpe and Ilam. Used to go there loads when lived in Nottingham, was our main mushroom picking area. But as you won't be doing that, loveley scenery and walks and Thorpe Cloud to climb and the stepping stones on the River dove to walk across. Here be both:

Though we used to camp, reason I recommend for you is a YHA Ilam Hall in Ilam: http://www.yha.org.uk/hostel/ilam-hall Impressive looking building and five minutes from all the walks/hills:

Could do a lot worse than basing yourself there. Love the Peaks, bewtiful, Mike. Enjoy
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

theleader82

Post by theleader82 »

Carlos J wrote:Yeah, it's in Matlock Bath just outside Matlock. Sundays you get loads of bikers there.

Not sure which way you coming from, Leader, but at the south of the Peak District is Dovedale and the villages of Thorpe and Ilam. Used to go there loads when lived in Nottingham, was our main mushroom picking area. But as you won't be doing that, loveley scenery and walks and Thorpe Cloud to climb and the stepping stones on the River dove to walk across. Here be both:

Though we used to camp, reason I recommend for you is a YHA Ilam Hall in Ilam: http://www.yha.org.uk/hostel/ilam-hall Impressive looking building and five minutes from all the walks/hills:

Could do a lot worse than basing yourself there. Love the Peaks, bewtiful, Mike. Enjoy
I'll be driving up on the m1 from Northants up to Derbyshire , I need to come off and head towards Matlock from what I've read. I saw that yha online, looks nice. I'd prefer to camp but not this time of year. Definitely want to see dovedsle. I'd like to go up kinder peak but I think over the other side towards towards Lancashire . is bakewell the main town? Would be nice to stay in a B and B/pub in heart of the peaks for one night.
MJInnocent

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

If going frst to Dovedale in the south, come of at J25 (Nottm/Derby} and head on the A52 towards Ashbourne and it's just on from there. If going to Matlock stay on to 26, 27, or 28, can't remember.

Never been to Bakewell, but if doing Kinder Scout, Edale is probably your best bet for a B&B and fairly central.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Takes me back, as we used to do Dovedale for our school Geography field trips. Collecting scree and all that shit. Not sure if it's still open, but remember going to the Blue John mine at Castleton and coming back with a lump of it.
Don't always believe what you think, because sometimes its' a load of shite

DasBoot

Post by DasBoot »

Bewdiful, Beeky. The Peak District. Only stayed a while in Buxton/Bakewell saw Ladybower Reservoir.

With scenery like this, no wonder millions of migrants are clamouring to get in the country.
Subsub- Runner up TOTY 2019.

Hillman avenger

Post by Hillman avenger »

If you get to Bakewell try a "Bakewell pudding" (not Bakewell tart) which is the original version and is lovely.
Matlock and Matlock Bath are ace.
Listen to Talksport and let it be a lesson to you

theleader82

Post by theleader82 »

Carlos J wrote:Yeah, it's in Matlock Bath just outside Matlock. Sundays you get loads of bikers there.

I arrived here this afternoon, staying a couple of nights then heading up to edale, where I might walk mam or kinder scout. I thought I might visit hadfield while I'm up that way because that's where they filmed the league of gentlemen, my favourite show. Would be good to find the hill where the local shop is in the show. The scenery is really nice here. Good to get away from hustle and bustle of everyday life.
MJInnocent

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Great stuff, Leader. Have fun and in Edale and didn't know that. Always thought LoG was in Yorkshire.

theleader82

Post by theleader82 »

Apparently Robin Hood with Russell crowe was filmed partly in dovedale and Thorpe cloud is visible in the film. I'll have to watch to watch the movie, not seen in yet.
MJInnocent

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Yeah I knew that and likewise not seen it. Give Thorpe Cloud a go tomorrow, not that bad. Or just have fun with the walks and stepping stones.

theleader82

Post by theleader82 »

Russell Crowe apparently went for a drink in Ashbourne while filming the movie. I read that they think Robin Hood could have come from Staffordshire as centuries ago Sherwood Forest stretched a massive a large area of central England, nowadays there's not much there. There is a village called loxley in Staffordshire near needwood forest . http://www.bbc.co.uk/stoke/content/arti ... ture.shtml . I saw they sell barncakes in chipshops in Derbyshire, I regret not trying one.
MJInnocent

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Hope you had a good trip, Leader? Did you see Hadfield and do Kinder Scout or Thorpe Cloud?

paolo

Post by paolo »

theleader82 wrote:Russell Crowe apparently went for a drink in Ashbourne while filming the movie. I read that they think Robin Hood could have come from Staffordshire as centuries ago Sherwood Forest stretched a massive a large area of central England, nowadays there's not much there. There is a village called loxley in Staffordshire near needwood forest . http://www.bbc.co.uk/stoke/content/arti ... ture.shtml . I saw they sell barncakes in chipshops in Derbyshire, I regret not trying one.

i thought it was cobs, or barmcakes elsewhere
Poster of the Year

Respecting Democracy

Diversity is Genocide

Free Rodney Reed

ccreds

Post by ccreds »

Matlock Bath is good if you also sample it on a summers evening. Tissington is a nice place, a place where time forgot, like going back in time.

Sid Pervcat

Post by Sid Pervcat »

theleader82 wrote: I saw they sell barncakes in chipshops in Derbyshire, I regret not trying one.
Barmcakes, not Barncakes.
They're bread rolls. Nowt special.
Baps, Barms, Rolls, Cobs.

Same shit
I released the blob must to my darkest dread

But its mint choc chip which is the ice cream flavour of Satan's spermatozoa

Careful now, you’re being beastly to Leado and this canno he totlerated.

About to get underway at the Berbabeu

theleader82

Post by theleader82 »

Are the Malvern hills nice? I was thinking of going for a couple of days with a friend. I went to Worcester years ago on a school trip, stayed somewhere called the pioneer camp, doing canoeing ,abseiling , archery. Worcester seemed very nice. An underrated county I think.
MJInnocent