Memory Loss/Dementia

Friendly chat, will be moderated if necessary.
Carlos J
Forum Admin

Memory Loss/Dementia

Post by Carlos J »

Sadly, a precis, before I start, this is not a goading thread. Now I've noticed a few posters forgetting posts they have made.

There are a lot of forum users in their 40s/50/60s. Forgetting posts in drink or drugs is fair and staying off the internet a standard option there or a woeful wake up and read.

But how is your memory? Are you worried? Any hereditary history of various dementias?

Forgetting names, old grandparents calling me by my brother or cousins names, though one grandad did go full on dementia not knowing anyone. :(

Think have got a great memory, especially of shite, hence 15-1 badly, hence many pub quiz wins, hence memory of posts here, :roll: but the other day, was pondering something, 'Malcolm McDowell' and it took a few seconds to get, "If" as the film I thought. Not instant. Was minorly concerned, but did ponder and added to other memory losses here, maybe worthy of a topic.

And in open chat. Any examples? Any worrries about it? Any views?
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

DasBoot

Re: Memory Loss/Dementia

Post by DasBoot »

Very much so.

Like yourself can remember useless facts, unbeaten in Trivial Pursuit amongst my group for 15 years. Can remember acts, moments from years gone by with clarity yet increasingly recent events, names, finding the correct turn of phrase.

Examples. That fine Season 1 starring McConaughey and Harrelson. What was it called again? Had eventually to look it up. The blonde one from Lost in Translation etc. Big lips. What was her name again? The blondie in Gone Girl, I like her. Polly? No that's not right.

The guy I worked with only a few months ago. We used to go for a beer together before he left. I can picture his face.

Most worrying or symptoms of "just getting older".

I believe doing Sudoku or learning a language good for exercising the brain. It is called a muscle, after all.
Subsub- Runner up TOTY 2019.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Indeed, Das. And most interesting. You are an old 15-1 boy. People say go on again. Nah. I went on 15-1 to answer questions by William G and looks at Laura. Not to have some chit chat with Toksvig. :roll:

Still chess though, the greatest mind fuck. bashing a few yanks is always good. :)

DasBoot

Post by DasBoot »

It was all about William G for me and I was not disappointed.

A fine man :)
Subsub- Runner up TOTY 2019.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

As per, he was bronze and buzzing to a young man. Old man action as well. Lovely Laura as well. :P

Das, If a another series, am tempted, but fuck chit chat with Toksvig. Can't be doing witth shite niceties. The point of 15-1, no shit chat.

You and me, late 2016 on 15-1. ;)

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

"Cut the crap you stunted Danish muff bumper, and just ask me some fucking questions."
Proud Gammon

RIP Neil Peart 1952-2020.

Roquetas

Post by Roquetas »

I thought Toksvig was also taking over QI?
All eyes and ears...

Lou Grant

Post by Lou Grant »

She is. Oddly it is possible to do more than one TV show a year. Some cunts are on about 15 different panel shows.
Come for the rampant misogyny, stay for the tedious bitching

Roquetas

Post by Roquetas »

Lou Grant wrote:She is. Oddly it is possible to do more than one TV show a year. Some cunts are on about 15 different panel shows.
To present more than one quiz/panel show in the same year is quite unusual, Lou-o. Especially someone as talentless, untelegenic, and homosexual as Toksvig.
All eyes and ears...

Lou Grant

Post by Lou Grant »

Doesn't Sue Perkins do several? There's bake off and that awful insert name here thing. And she's always on QI and other stuff.

Steve Hunt
Winner POTY - 2010 !!!!

Post by Steve Hunt »

I suspect that my Mum has early stages of dementia.

The problem is that my Dad is in denial & is covering up for her.

Not good
If Arsenal were playing in my back garden, I would draw the curtains.

ENIC OUT

https://www.smava.de/european-debt-clock/

Roquetas

Post by Roquetas »

Lou Grant wrote:Doesn't Sue Perkins do several? There's bake off and that awful insert name here thing. And she's always on QI and other stuff.
No idea. But being 'on' one of these interminable shows (QI excepted, as I like that one) doesn't count.
All eyes and ears...

Lou Grant

Post by Lou Grant »

Steve Hunt wrote:I suspect that my Mum has early stages of dementia.

Not good
One of my uncles had it. My dad had heart problems, so didn't live long enough to potentially suffer from it (but then he also had 2 other brothers that didn't suffer any form of dementia). My mum is in her late 80s and sharp as a tack in mind, but not so much in body.

Old age is going to get us all one way or another.

Sid Pervcat

Post by Sid Pervcat »

Carlos J wrote:Sadly, a precis, before I start, this is not a goading thread. Now I've noticed a few posters forgetting posts they have made.

Any particular examples that have brought this to the fore?
I released the blob must to my darkest dread

But its mint choc chip which is the ice cream flavour of Satan's spermatozoa

Careful now, you’re being beastly to Leado and this canno he totlerated.

About to get underway at the Berbabeu

Rantan Zero

Post by Rantan Zero »

Lou Grant wrote:

Not good
One of my uncles had it. My dad had heart problems, so didn't live long enough to potentially suffer from it (but then he also had 2 other brothers that didn't suffer any form of dementia). My mum is in her late 80s and sharp as a tack in mind, but not so much in body.

My nan had it for the past 5 years or so until she died last year. In some ways i'm glad she went before she was completely robbed of her faculties, there was still a bit of her personality left in there somewhere although she was nowhere near the person i knew when i was growing up.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Have a friend who's wife had it for 10 years. She started off taking a wrong turn on her way home from work and getting lost. It was devastating to see a vibrant person like she was, deteriorate into a cabbage lying in a cot at the end. She was like that for 3 years. That is one reason why I back assisted suicide. You wouldn't keep an animal alive in that state.
Don't always believe what you think, because sometimes its' a load of shite

Rantan Zero

Post by Rantan Zero »

Zambo wrote:Have a friend who's wife had it for 10 years. She started off taking a wrong turn on her way home from work and getting lost. It was devastating to see a vibrant person like she was, deteriorate into a cabbage lying in a cot at the end. She was like that for 3 years. That is one reason why I back assisted suicide. You wouldn't keep an animal alive in that state.
It can be quite hard to accept sometimes that although the person is still alive the person they used to be is gone forever.

Sadact7

Post by Sadact7 »

Rantan Zero wrote:
Zambo wrote:Have a friend who's wife had it for 10 years. She started off taking a wrong turn on her way home from work and getting lost. It was devastating to see a vibrant person like she was, deteriorate into a cabbage lying in a cot at the end. She was like that for 3 years. That is one reason why I back assisted suicide. You wouldn't keep an animal alive in that state.
It can be quite hard to accept sometimes that although the person is still alive the person they used to be is gone forever.
I agree, and I am sorry to hear of your own personal experience.

My dog had it (not the same as a human maybe but there you go) and it was really sad watching him get confused as to where to go to get in the house and suchlike
I was bummed by the ghost of Liberace

Rantan Zero

Post by Rantan Zero »

Thanks Sadact :)

I think one of the cruelest things about Dementia is the way that sometimes on a good day the person can be quite lucid and with it and yet other days the person can be off somewhere else or just tired and drained. I'd wonder sometimes if my nan was aware of what the condition was doing to her.

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

Rantan Zero wrote:
Lou Grant wrote:

Not good

My nan had it for the past 5 years or so until she died last year. In some ways i'm glad she went before she was completely robbed of her faculties, there was still a bit of her personality left in there somewhere although she was nowhere near the person i knew when i was growing up.
The same happened to me and it was brutal to witness
Speaking for the rest of the forum since 2019

Sadact7

Post by Sadact7 »

The Ghost of Alex Higgins wrote:
Rantan Zero wrote:
Lou Grant wrote:

Not good

The same happened to me and it was brutal to witness
Bro :(

:goodman:
I was bummed by the ghost of Liberace

fattmaude

Post by fattmaude »

Roquetas wrote:
Lou Grant wrote:She is. Oddly it is possible to do more than one TV show a year. Some cunts are on about 15 different panel shows.
To present more than one quiz/panel show in the same year is quite unusual, Lou-o. Especially someone as talentless, untelegenic, and homosexual as Toksvig.
Interesting that you equate such negative adjectives such as talentless and untelegenic to homosexuality.

Nasty little man. You'll get yours.
Fordey 3:16

The One Amigo

Roquetas

Post by Roquetas »

fattmaude wrote:
Roquetas wrote:
Interesting that you equate such negative adjectives such as talentless and untelegenic to homosexuality.

Nasty little man. You'll get yours.
You keep saying this! When?! When is my fabled fattmaude-dictated "#judgementday"???

Three fucking weeks now, you cock teaser you!!!

(I assume you read my 'homosexual' comment deliberately provocatively as linked to the opinions given, rather than the clearly intended - though still provocatively placed to raise the wrath of Neanderthals or liars - to suggest homophobia is still alive and well, albeit in a much reduced form?)
All eyes and ears...

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

Rantan Zero wrote:
My mum suffered from vascular dementia for about 4 years before it got too much for her and she ended it all herself. I found her body a day later. I was glad she had the courage to do it, after watching her get worse by degrees, but just wish that she hadnt taken the method she used, which was an overdose of aspirin, an appalling way to go.
She used to come up to stay with us at weekends - we wanted her to come live with us but she flat refused to consider it -my dad died just as she was diagnosed - & it was when I went to collect her on a Saturday morning that I found her. She was dead since Thursday according to the coroner. I was fucked up in the head about it with guilt, still am, and went off the rails a tad too, but ive had all the therapy and stuff and, to my surprise it does help a bit.

First time Ive admitted it here, though a few poster know already.
Proud Gammon

RIP Neil Peart 1952-2020.

chelseachelsea

Post by chelseachelsea »

Dementia is such a cruel disease, my Mother was on her deathbed in hospital for about 6 months. Many times we were all there to hear the last rites....time after time she survived. I'm one of 7 children and on every hospital visit she would upset, one if not all who were present.

She had no recollection of where she was, plus her memory had totally gone....each of us was insulted by our Mother as she confused who we all were, with also distant family members....it was really upsetting.