Running/jogging

Friendly chat, will be moderated if necessary.
theleader82

Running/jogging

Post by theleader82 »

Any joggers on here? I've really been getting into it recently. I try and do about 10k 3 times a week. Sometimes I give up in winter but as its been so mild I've been able to keep it going. I find it helps with my depression too. I think my best 10k is around 45minutes, but I usually take it easy. I've gone from a 36 waist to a 34 and even they're feeling a bit loose. I was a 32 when I went to uni I'd be happy to get to that again. I'm going to try and drink just once a week as I've got into bad habits and I don't want to feel sluggish the next day. I wouldn't mind giving one of those tough mudder things a go but they seem a bit expensive, maybe there's a budget one.
MJInnocent

the puddin

Re: Running/jogging

Post by the puddin »

I run. Started over a year ago with couch to 5K. Not as fast as you though! Then did five 10k a week until I got bored. Running a marathon in May so training for that. It's a cheap way of controlling a mid life crisis.
"It's what we do...."

Kowalski

Post by Kowalski »

I started running in late 2014 through couch to 5k. My fasted time for 5k was 24 minutes, I'd usually go for about 30-35 minutes and run about 6k. The longest I ran was 10k and that took me 55 minutes.

I injured my foot about 3 months back and have stopped for the moment, I really miss running though, I might go out today and see how my foot feels.

the puddin

Post by the puddin »

Just got back from a 6.5 k with quick finish. Part of the training programme but forgot about the bloody hills I'd be running up out in the wolds! I do love it though, never thought I would but love running out in the countryside.
"It's what we do...."

kevin04

Post by kevin04 »

Started jogging in 2010. I used to hate cross country and athletics at school, but at that time I'd put on about 20 pounds and wanted to get fit.

It is very good for mild depression, Leado, so I am glad you are feeling the benefits of it. Any form of exercise often does work well to clear the head.

I have started mixing up the running. For a while it was the only thing I was doing, 5/6 times a week - but now swimming, cycling, HIIT, walking and a few home workouts.

You got runners legs yet? ;)
Bellend. Rupert Bell fanclub - MEMBER.

theleader82

Post by theleader82 »

I've got quite slim legs now. Imdont want to get to skinny. I do a few exercises with Dumbbells and press up etc. I only do a light weight 10kg but lots of reps. Starting to see a few abs now so happy with that . I've been thinking of starting to do yoga or qi gong.i think their meant to give you good core strength.
MJInnocent

kevin04

Post by kevin04 »

I have done a couple of Yoga and Pilates sessions. Pilates was pretty difficult - holding your legs and arms in places for extended periods, and it being both relaxed yet tiring you out too.

I'm doing similar weights to you too. Started in January - using home made dumbells, and may buy some later on. My arms are like runners legs so felt I needed to work on them a bit - although don't want to end up a 'lifter'.

Qi going looks interesting. I might give it a go this week see what it's like (although not in public, or even with anyone around )

The talkFORUM 10K should be getting organised!
Bellend. Rupert Bell fanclub - MEMBER.

mark
Forum Admin

Post by mark »

theleader82 wrote:I've got quite slim legs now. Imdont want to get to skinny. I do a few exercises with Dumbbells and press up etc. I only do a light weight 10kg but lots of reps. Starting to see a few abs now so happy with that . I've been thinking of starting to do yoga or qi gong.i think their meant to give you good core strength.
For core strength there are two very good approaches.

One is a set of exercises based on a 5 by 5 principle - i found the best site for that was http://stronglifts.com/5x5/

Alternatively - work a training routine that builds you up for being able to do handstands - that requires real core strength. Start here - http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/

the puddin

Post by the puddin »

Thought I'd revisit. Marathon done after 4 or 5 months of training. Great feeling crossing the line. My legs are utterly fucked now though.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
"It's what we do...."

carcinogen

Post by carcinogen »

Waste of time. Walk 45mins per day, at a good pace so that you can feel your heart. The damage done to the joint's just isn't worth the pay-off.
Fred Kite: I've got to be off. I can't stay here arguing. I've got a lot to do. Report to the Executive, check up on the pickets.
Mrs. Kite: From what I can see, the only time you ever jolly well *do* any work is when you're on strike.

the puddin

Post by the puddin »

Training for it I've seen so much countryside I've never known existed. Had some beautiful early mornings and achieved a lifetime goal. I'll take a fucked up knee carc!

"It's what we do...."

shabbado

Post by shabbado »

what time did you do it in Puddin?
A joyless arsehole

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

You're better off cycling. You can still put yourself through the same amount of exercise as jogging but take in much more scenery for your effort.

the puddin

Re: RE: Re: Running/jogging

Post by the puddin »

shabbado wrote:what time did you do it in Puddin?
3 hours 49 minutes 12 seconds. When I applied I put my projected time as over four and a half hours so I was very happy to get under four hours.

"It's what we do...."

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

carcinogen wrote:Waste of time. Walk 45mins per day, at a good pace so that you can feel your heart. The damage done to the joint's just isn't worth the pay-off.
This is true.
Please don't hoover up all the bollocks for yourself. Leave some for others.

shabbado

Re: RE: Re: Running/jogging

Post by shabbado »

the puddin wrote:
3 hours 49 minutes 12 seconds. When I applied I put my projected time as over four and a half hours so I was very happy to get under four hours.

Congratulations!
A joyless arsehole

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

Chronic cardio bitches
Speaking for the rest of the forum since 2019

the puddin

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Running/jogging

Post by the puddin »

shabbado wrote:
the puddin wrote:

Congratulations!
Cheers mate. Was very happy with it.

"It's what we do...."

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Good stuff, puddin. Got a 10k in August so two months training should be ok, having done halves before. But not sure my bust ankle will hold up, but once done, that's it. Plus a month of bad food and lots of drink during the Euros won't help. It's going to be grim, but we shall overcome.
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

Why are you lot so keen to bust your knees and ankles. You need them to work.
Speaking for the rest of the forum since 2019

theleader82

Post by theleader82 »

I'm thinking of getting a mountain bike or Bmx. Mix things up a bit.
MJInnocent

warmleatherette

Post by warmleatherette »

theleader82 wrote:I'm thinking of getting a mountain bike or Bmx. Mix things up a bit.
I'm pretty sure that would be classed as cheating?
Brilliantly Honest