Metal Detecting

Friendly chat, will be moderated if necessary.
colinthewarriormonkey

Metal Detecting

Post by colinthewarriormonkey »

It's like Crack !

My little lad (now 6 years old) has been obsessed with the idea of "treasure" since he's been able to talk.

For the last year he's been digging a hole in the back garden, convinced he's going to find something and wishing for a metal detector.

Last summer we went to Florence and took him on the Ponte Vecchio - a bridge that is filled with jewelery shops, he nearly combusted on the spot seeing that "treasure" and thee requests for a metal detector got more intense.

So I went to a metal detector shop to find one for a kid and they raved about one for 140 quid which I assumed would be little more than a toy for that price, but I looked on the internet and it's got good reviews.

So, yesterday I took him out and we found loads of shite, but on the way back we stopped when it made a noise, had a dig and uncovered a bullet casing. I took it home dropped it in vinegar for a few hours, then polished it up - lo and behold the headstamp on the bottom became visible and I was able to go online and identify it as a royal ordinance issued bullet from 1943.

Today we went out and went to a nearby field and the very first thing that registered we dug down and eventually found a Roman nail, there was something about digging it up and realising that we were probably the first people to hoold that nail in 2000 years which was very exciting.

I thought that Metal detecting was about 1 step up from train spotting, but actually it awakens that 6 year old child in you where the world is full of wonder and a belief that anything is possible.

I was dreading having to go and accompany my boy in a wet field, now strangely, I can't wait to go back - I'm addicted

A truly wonderful way to spend time sharing something with your kids.
"The Cunt's Cunt."

"One desperate shithouse"

AlcoholBrazil

Re: Metal Detecting

Post by AlcoholBrazil »

Have you read up on the "treasure trove" laws. If you find an individual coin , it's yours but more than a handful , it's the governments .
Don't seem fair. Then there's a 50% claim by the landowner.
Boris " Do not look at what I am doing, Look how cute and adorable Dilyn is.....Look at Dilyn ! "

colinthewarriormonkey

AlcoholBrazil wrote:Have you read up on the "treasure trove" laws. If you find an individual coin , it's yours but more than a handful , it's the governments .
Don't seem fair. Then there's a 50% claim by the landowner.
Ha ! we should be so lucky.
"The Cunt's Cunt."

deisegirl

Post by deisegirl »

Do you have a "gold dance"? ;)
Saggers is alive??!!
Talksport is dark and full of errors.
Wilbur did nuffink wrong!

Dinger

Post by Dinger »

colinthewarriormonkey wrote:It's like Crack !

My little lad (now 6 years old) has been obsessed with the idea of "treasure" since he's been able to talk.

For the last year he's been digging a hole in the back garden, convinced he's going to find something and wishing for a metal detector.

Last summer we went to Florence and took him on the Ponte Vecchio - a bridge that is filled with jewelery shops, he nearly combusted on the spot seeing that "treasure" and thee requests for a metal detector got more intense.

So I went to a metal detector shop to find one for a kid and they raved about one for 140 quid which I assumed would be little more than a toy for that price, but I looked on the internet and it's got good reviews.

So, yesterday I took him out and we found loads of shite, but on the way back we stopped when it made a noise, had a dig and uncovered a bullet casing. I took it home dropped it in vinegar for a few hours, then polished it up - lo and behold the headstamp on the bottom became visible and I was able to go online and identify it as a royal ordinance issued bullet from 1943.

Today we went out and went to a nearby field and the very first thing that registered we dug down and eventually found a Roman nail, there was something about digging it up and realising that we were probably the first people to hoold that nail in 2000 years which was very exciting.

I thought that Metal detecting was about 1 step up from train spotting, but actually it awakens that 6 year old child in you where the world is full of wonder and a belief that anything is possible.

I was dreading having to go and accompany my boy in a wet field, now strangely, I can't wait to go back - I'm addicted

I'm liking your posts more and more in the last 6 months Colin, that's why I voted for you as POTY.

Previously, one of us was wrong.
Who goads the goaders?

m4 colin

Post by m4 colin »

Most Archaeologists are fairly ambivalent about metal detectors on the one hand a lot of damage has been done by the metal detector crowd. On the other they have often turned up objects of great interest that otherwise might never have come to light .If you do find something interesting
be sure to keep a record of where you found it and most important at what depth then tell your local county Archaeologist or museum
Many new important sites have been found this way.
I heard gods fast but I'd have to go up against him before I believe it

colinthewarriormonkey

Dinger wrote:
colinthewarriormonkey wrote:It's like Crack !

I'm liking your posts more and more in the last 6 months Colin, that's why I voted for you as POTY.

Previously, one of us was wrong.
Well it wasn't me !

:lol:
"The Cunt's Cunt."