Football Manager

Friendly chat, will be moderated if necessary.
kevin04

Football Manager

Post by kevin04 »

Did anyone play this back in the day, or even today?

What are your greatest achievements?

Played the old Championship Manger all through my Standard Grades and up to about 20 years old. Loved building up a dynasty. I always signed a lad called To Maderia from Portugal. He would go anywhere - Arbroath or Chelsea, he just loved life. He also scored so many goals (TM).

Guiding Norway to the World Cup Final possibly, a 4-1 loss in the final to Brazil. Or turning HJK Helsinki in to a Champions League powerhouse are definitely up there - again we never won it, but got the QFs and SFs once.

My job involves a lot of waiting around and often working alone. So I've bought the new one and fairly impressed. There was a period when it got far too technical and took an age. Seems they've gone back, or at least you have the option to choose advanced or not.

First job at Millwall. Double promotions back to back from League 1 to the Championship - signed a few experienced pros to try keep us up. Peppi Rossi, Marko Marin, Neven Subotic, Bojan Jokic, Pantimilion, Darren Fletcher and Gareth McAuley who is 37 and retiring. My expansive football worked to begin then a few humpings happened, and after a decent start, we were in the relegation zone.

Man Utd 5-0, Liverpool 5-0, and Chelsea 4-1.

Have toyed about with the formation and now play defensive away to the big guns. Sneaked a 0-1 win at Old Trafford (22 shots to 3). Super Shane Ferguson grabbing the win.

About 28 games in and sit in 15th position.

I am 32 years old. :oops:
Bellend. Rupert Bell fanclub - MEMBER.

carcinogen

Re: Football Manager

Post by carcinogen »

Oh I wasted a lot of time on FM. I remember when it first came out on the damn commodore 64! haha. I prefered the earlier versions because as the game progressed it became more like work than fun! Going through endless spreadsheets of footballers to buy...etc. etc. Feeling the pressure to get results. haha.

I think my greatest achievement was guiding Millwall to promotion and after 4 seasons winning the European Cup. My star man was Freddie Sears, he won the Golden Boot for scoring the most goals in Europe! Oh the glory days!!

There's actually a book about Football Manager by the producer of the Guardian Football podcast. It's just come out, I can't recall it's name, but it might be a fun read.
Fred Kite: I've got to be off. I can't stay here arguing. I've got a lot to do. Report to the Executive, check up on the pickets.
Mrs. Kite: From what I can see, the only time you ever jolly well *do* any work is when you're on strike.

AlcoholBrazil

Post by AlcoholBrazil »

Where is Kevin Toms now ?
Boris " Do not look at what I am doing, Look how cute and adorable Dilyn is.....Look at Dilyn ! "

kevin04

Post by kevin04 »

AlcoholBrazil wrote:Image

Where is Kevin Toms now ?
I'm here, Alco.

Nice one, Carc. Something in the stars regards Millwall FC and Football Manager.

henrycrs

Post by henrycrs »

Used to play it loads as a student, 2000ish

Sharbel Touma
Kennedy Bacriogliou
Derek Boateng
Michael Dorsin??

Would beaters when CUFC won the league/cup/Europe/world/intergalactic championships

carcinogen

Post by carcinogen »

haha. Yeah, I couldn't face managing my team Norwich, to much pressure. Millwall was the next best. LOL. Good times. Up the Lions.
Fred Kite: I've got to be off. I can't stay here arguing. I've got a lot to do. Report to the Executive, check up on the pickets.
Mrs. Kite: From what I can see, the only time you ever jolly well *do* any work is when you're on strike.

henrycrs

Post by henrycrs »

carcinogen wrote:haha. Yeah, I couldn't face managing my team Norwich, to much pressure. Millwall was the next best. LOL. Good times. Up the Lions.
And the fans run derby across the pitch?

kevin04

Post by kevin04 »

henrycrs wrote:Used to play it loads as a student, 2000ish

Sharbel Touma
Kennedy Bacriogliou
Haha, I remember both.

Both Swedes. Bacriogliou depending on the game would be capped by either Turkey or Sverige.

I know I'm getting too carried away as I called the ref ''a faggott'' two games ago for playing an extra two minutes to the already 4 minutes of injury time.

:oops:

henrycrs

Post by henrycrs »

kevin04 wrote:
henrycrs wrote:Used to play it loads as a student, 2000ish

Sharbel Touma
Kennedy Bacriogliou
Haha, I remember both.

Both Swedes. Bacriogliou depending on the game would be capped by either Turkey or Sverige.

I know I'm getting too carried away as I called the ref ''a faggott'' two games ago for playing an extra two minutes to the already 4 minutes of injury time.

:oops:
Yeah, you could buy them cheap as well Image

I remember a derby player, tonton mokula something or other?? A world beater when he was 18

Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Cherno Samba used to boss it back in the day. When he got to 21/22 no one in the world could touch him.

I signed Ronaldinho from Gremio for Leeds once. We ended up 2nd in the Premier League. Him and Viduka got about 50 goals combined in one season.
"talkFORUM royalty" - thursty.
"Talkforum's Alan Whicker! " - kevin04.
"Cunt" - sjbarca

Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Kev, it appears To Madeira wasn't actually real :(

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/v ... l?image=10
"talkFORUM royalty" - thursty.
"Talkforum's Alan Whicker! " - kevin04.
"Cunt" - sjbarca

henrycrs

Post by henrycrs »

Fabio Paim, a 13 year Portuguese winger. Would be a world beater by the time he was 18

kevin04

Post by kevin04 »

It's 2020 in my game.

I was offered the Ukraine gig after the 2018 World Cup. Juggling both this with Millwall. Were drawn in a Europa Nations group with France and England . Eng - we won 1-0 in Kiev, lost 2-0 in London. France drew both games. Guided Ukraine to the Euros (7 wins and 1 draw in a group with Norway, Croatia, Belarus and San Marino). Currently playing in the Euros and through to the last sixteen after coming third in Group D - lost to Spain 2-1, drew 1-1 with Wales, beat Finland 4-1 (Wales topped the group by beating Spain). Up next Croatia!

I kept The Lions up (17th) last year. The season after we went on a fifteen match win-less streak (4 draws and 11 defeats) and decided to walk. Two back to back promotions, but had to quit to see if anyone else could save them. Jimmy Floyd stepped up, and didn't.

AFC Wimbledon offered me their job and decided to accept it in Feb 2020. They are still in League 2, were in 20th when I took over, and we finished 12th. Nae cash, so lots of loan signings - Cian Harries has been fantastic. Looking to get promoted next year on a diet of loan signings.