Holiday Thread

Friendly chat, will be moderated if necessary.
deisegirl

Re: Holiday Thread

Post by deisegirl »

Carlos J wrote:Looks beautiful, Del. As a great fan of the train and intending to do the California Zephyr from Chicago to SF next year, though starting in NY, I was doing a kancut the other day. Reading this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/50-Greatest-Tr ... 1785780654 in Waterstones. He mentions the Inverness to Wick as a great journey and also read lots about Glasgee to Mallaig as being glorious. Maybe one to ponder as well for a little tour of Scotchland. Any views Scotch friends or others?
Not what you're asking but I did the Zephyr a few years ago. Nice trip. The Rockies are a particular highlight :)
Saggers is alive??!!
Talksport is dark and full of errors.
Wilbur did nuffink wrong!

Reg

Post by Reg »

Wigan for me.

BE NICE TO EACH OTHER.

IF YOU CAN’T SAY SOMETHING KIND, SAY NOTHING AT ALL.

LET’S MAKE talkFORUM FUN AGAIN!

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

deisegirl wrote:
Carlos J wrote:Looks beautiful, Del. As a great fan of the train and intending to do the California Zephyr from Chicago to SF next year, though starting in NY, I was doing a kancut the other day. Reading this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/50-Greatest-Tr ... 1785780654 in Waterstones. He mentions the Inverness to Wick as a great journey and also read lots about Glasgee to Mallaig as being glorious. Maybe one to ponder as well for a little tour of Scotchland. Any views Scotch friends or others?
Not what you're asking but I did the Zephyr a few years ago. Nice trip. The Rockies are a particular highlight :)
Cheers deise. Any other info? If I do it, will keep bothering you. :)
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

veritas vincit

Post by veritas vincit »

The California Zephyr is a fantastic journey. The schedule is timed so that you pass through the scenic Rockies during daylight.
On one leg from Reno to Sacramento, when we travelled, there were a couple of rail enthuiasts giving a commentary which explained a lot about the areas we were pasing through.
We only went from Granby [the station there reminded me of High Noon], in Colorado to San Francisco, but one day I'm going to do the whole Chicago - San Francisco trip; my sister did this and loved it.
Make sure you get a sleeper though, it's a long trip to sleep in a seat, although they have lots of room.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Thanks, veritas. In my other post: https://www.talkforum.co.uk/viewtopic.p ... 85#p976760 commented on getting a seat over sleeper due to price and can handle a couple of nights in a chair. Thanks and lots of info to ponder and glad your trip was good and yeah, do the full route sometime. Though also as said, if do it, gonna train from NY to Chicago as well for a full East to west.

To you and deise, how long are the stops at stations? Leg stretching time or longer? Ta.

deisegirl

Post by deisegirl »

Yeah sleeper carriage is expensive so if you are OK with staying in seats then you'll save a packet. Couple of longer stops like Denver and Salt Lake City, both service stops for the train. Denver was maybe an hour and a half. Can't remember how long SLC was but it was late at night

The food is pretty good but I think it was included in the price of a sleeper carriage so you may not avail of that. I got my money's worth fo sho ;)

Following Denver you start climbing immediately into the Rockies. A park ranger gets on to give you a talk through the mountains which is brilliant.

I think there was either a tour guide on the train or it was a recording through the Sierra Nevada mountains but ashamed to say I was burned out on scenery by then. I listened to the guide in my cabin though. You pass through the Donner Pass which is apparently the scene of some grim historical tale(the Donner Party). I'd never heard of it before but since the trip I've heard it referred to several times. I heard two versions etc..
Saggers is alive??!!

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Ha, deise. :) Yes know of the Donner Party from endless Mr Wiki reading. Thanks about the stops, thought that was about it, some short, some longer, to aid refreshment. And yeah, with a seat, you pay for food, menu ain't that bad pricewise, it's only a couple of evening meals and can stock up snacks as can save luggage wearing same socks and trunks for a few days, poor seat snoozers nearby. :) Always spares in case of train loving lovelies. :P

Anyway. Think they have guide listening in the sightseer lounge or you can get it or just read about it:

It all looks magnificent and too far ahead to book now for next year but very keen. Ponderer now seems to be, get a return train back to Chicago and then NY and fly back return from NY or fly from SF which is expensive. Not much in it if you play it well.

deisegirl

Post by deisegirl »

I wouldn't fancy a return trip on it, one direction enough for me but if you're already thinking of it then its obviously not a big deal to you.

San Francisco can be expensive to fly from alright. At least there's a bit of competition with the Noo Yawk airports.

I love America Stan I love it!
Saggers is alive??!!

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

I love it Stan as well. Ta for wise words, deise. A few months back when looking, wasn't a lot of difference in price. Now and a year hence and Brexit and pound falling further, hell knows. See November hols out and them ponder properly.

deisegirl

Post by deisegirl »

Carlos J wrote:I love it Stan as well. Ta for wise words, deise. A few months back when looking, wasn't a lot of difference in price. Now and a year hence and Brexit and pound falling further, hell knows. See November hols out and them ponder properly.
Ha and I'm going shopping Belfast next week because the exchange rate is finally decent value. Was around 70p last year when I was in That London, as if That London isn't expensive enough to visit :roll:
Saggers is alive??!!

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Boo. Euro was terrible when in Paris a day for the Euros. Remember the good old days of €1.50 to the £1. I'm no Henk Potts but against Dollar will hopefully improve and election stuff as well. Not in time for November as will be grim, luckily bought a lot of stuff pre-Brexit.

Enjoy Mr Parry's Belfaaaaaaaarrrrrrrsssstttt. Think that train to Dublin is one of the journeys in the book listed from my quick reading in Waterstones, maybe not, but would still be an interesting ride purely for historical reasons.

You go oop north much? Never been, Mike. As per many, wanted to go over to see the World Amateur Boxing in Belfast 2001, the Hayemaker :prayer: won silver in the heavyweight, but could could not persuade anyone else and yes, was sadly not up for it alone. :( :oops:

What are bargains there? Shop and spend your Euros well. :)

subsub

Post by subsub »

Carlos J wrote:Boo. Euro was terrible when in Paris a day for the Euros
- Cor! Woof! Tell you what, that was a top result!
- Well, er, no, actually, Ronnie, it was a disaster.
- Yeah! That's worra mean, tho'

etc
SIX-TIME CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE

deisegirl

Post by deisegirl »

Carlos J wrote:Boo. Euro was terrible when in Paris a day for the Euros. Remember the good old days of €1.50 to the £1. I'm no Henk Potts but against Dollar will hopefully improve and election stuff as well. Not in time for November as will be grim, luckily bought a lot of stuff pre-Brexit.

Enjoy Mr Parry's Belfaaaaaaaarrrrrrrsssstttt. Think that train to Dublin is one of the journeys in the book listed from my quick reading in Waterstones, maybe not, but would still be an interesting ride purely for historical reasons.

You go oop north much? Never been, Mike. As per many, wanted to go over to see the World Amateur Boxing in Belfast 2001, the Hayemaker :prayer: won silver in the heavyweight, but could could not persuade anyone else and yes, was sadly not up for it alone. :( :oops:

I've been to Belfast a few times and did the Giants Causeway a few years back but currency woes meant I've put off going up. Though maybe if I lived in Dublin I'd go more; it's only two hours on train but from where I live add two more hours travel really from door to train. But off work for the week and can't afford proper holiday so just want to get away for day :)

Top tip for "mainlanders" visiting Norn Iron. Use ATMs from banks that aren't specific to the region ie opt for banks like Santander and Barclays over banks like
Bank of Ireland and Ulster Bank. I've managed to avoid problems myself but I've heard of a few people having issues trying to use Ulster banknotes in other parts of the UK.

United Kingdom my eye :rolleyes:
Saggers is alive??!!

genehunt1973

Post by genehunt1973 »

Benidorm on saturday for 2 weeks of sun ,sea sand and booze 8) :drinkers: :drinkers:
I have greatest respect for Rugby Union, they started it mid-way through the 19th century. Thankfully we grabbed it and turned it into a spectacle on 29th August 1895

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

Lock up yer...err everything I guess
Speaking for the rest of the forum since 2019

Reg

Post by Reg »

deisegirl wrote:
Carlos J wrote:Boo. Euro was terrible when in Paris a day for the Euros. Remember the good old days of €1.50 to the £1. I'm no Henk Potts but against Dollar will hopefully improve and election stuff as well. Not in time for November as will be grim, luckily bought a lot of stuff pre-Brexit.

I've been to Belfast a few times and did the Giants Causeway a few years back but currency woes meant I've put off going up. Though maybe if I lived in Dublin I'd go more; it's only two hours on train but from where I live add two more hours travel really from door to train. But off work for the week and can't afford proper holiday so just want to get away for day :)

Top tip for "mainlanders" visiting Norn Iron. Use ATMs from banks that aren't specific to the region ie opt for banks like Santander and Barclays over banks like
Bank of Ireland and Ulster Bank. I've managed to avoid problems myself but I've heard of a few people having issues trying to use Ulster banknotes in other parts of the UK.

United Kingdom my eye :rolleyes:
I've STILL got a fucking Scottish fiver. :x
BE NICE TO EACH OTHER.

deisegirl

Post by deisegirl »

Lol Brits
Saggers is alive??!!

Reg

Post by Reg »

deisegirl wrote:Lol Brits

Reported for cruelty and lack of respect.
BE NICE TO EACH OTHER.

SWL-DXER

Post by SWL-DXER »

The Iron Man of talkFORUM

Rantan Zero

Post by Rantan Zero »

SWL-DXER wrote:I did this in June. https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Clf_4ndWkAE2JIj.jpg
Anyone can draw a line on a map of Europe Swl! ;)

PS, any lycra pics? ;)

SWL-DXER

Post by SWL-DXER »

Rantan Zero wrote:
SWL-DXER wrote:I did this in June. https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Clf_4ndWkAE2JIj.jpg
Anyone can draw a line on a map of Europe Swl! ;)

PS, any lycra pics? ;)
No - just this one in Monaco.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ck1f3WEWsAAddsd.jpg

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

Are these whorehouses?
Speaking for the rest of the forum since 2019

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Donner kebab joints.
Please don't hoover up all the bollocks for yourself. Leave some for others.

Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Lisbon in a few weeks. Amsterdam in October.
"talkFORUM royalty" - thursty.
"Talkforum's Alan Whicker! " - kevin04.
"Cunt" - sjbarca

SWL-DXER

Post by SWL-DXER »

Zippy wrote:Lisbon in a few weeks. Amsterdam in October.
I wanted to knock off Portugal, Andorra and Monaco off my Euro list. Just Greece + Belarus to do now.