Mobile Phones

Friendly chat, will be moderated if necessary.
therealHJ

Mobile Phones

Post by therealHJ »

I have been with BlackBerry for years, not a big app fan and don't use my phone for music or streaming etc, but do want a good email system. The BlackBerry 10 operating system with its hub

I have got a BlackBerry Z10 touchscreen phone which is a good solid phone with a replaceable battery (important on a long day of use).

My contract is up in a couple of months and I don't like the new BB phones, I don't want to go back to a keyboard i.e. Classic (and it is now a sealed unit so cant change battery) I don't like the square screen Passport and the Q5 is irrelevant now the Classic is out and I don't want the large screen Z30 even if I could find one.

No sign of a new all touch screen phone,

So what to do? Get a SIM only contract and wait for BlackBerry to come up with a new phone or switch to another brand.

I have thought of Samsung, they seem to consistently get good reviews, but most phones seem to have sealed batteries.

Also how do Samsung deal with email? Through an App?

Steve Hunt
Winner POTY - 2010 !!!!

Re: Mobile Phones

Post by Steve Hunt »

My Samsung (S4) has been brilliant, HJ.

I am due for a renewal in April. My Daughter recently got rid of her Blackberry & got an iphone - which she swears by. I hate Apple, so can't bring myself to get one. I will probably just get another Samsung, it does what I need it to do & emails etc are easily accessible.
If Arsenal were playing in my back garden, I would draw the curtains.

ENIC OUT

https://www.smava.de/european-debt-clock/

the puddin

Post by the puddin »

I have the HTC one m8. It's a great phone. All android phones can do email without any problems. Used to have a Samsung and that was good too, but like my HTC. I use giff gaff as you can cancel the contract whenever you want and pay the phone off.
"It's what we do...."

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

the puddin wrote:I have the HTC one m8. It's a great phone. All android phones can do email without any problems. Used to have a Samsung and that was good too, but like my HTC. I use giff gaff as you can cancel the contract whenever you want and pay the phone off.
Exactly the same as me. HTC and giff gaff too. But giff gaff have sleekedly upped their prices on the sly without letting me know. But still decent.
Proud Gammon

RIP Neil Peart 1952-2020.

therealHJ

Post by therealHJ »

How does the email work on Android?

I have a Gmail, Yahoo, Outlook and Mail accounts which I use for different things

BlackBerry Hub is just brilliant at putting them all together

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

I ditched outlook yonkos drongos back as it was stone age shite. Collect all through gmail so android is a nice fit. Still rocking note 2, been a great phone, nearly pulled trigger on note 4 unlocked from Samsung (no bullshit tracker installed) but missed the dealio.

Used to love my bb but can't imagine using one in 2015.

On giffgaff too but looking for the ultimate 4g maxi pad maxi package. Shit doesn't exist though, half the UK still gets fuck all coverage yet ppi calls still get through all the time. Mobile companies are the biggest cunts in existence
Speaking for the rest of the forum since 2019

the puddin

Post by the puddin »

You can link them all to one mail service by adding your accounts. I only use Gmail so have that as a separate app but just add your accounts to the mail app with the phone. Or you can use separate apps for Gmail and yahoo.
"It's what we do...."

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

I have no problem with Outlook on my iPhone
THE EUROPEAN "FULL SET CLUB" - IT'S EXCLUSIVE

therealHJ

Post by therealHJ »

My BlackBerry Z10 touchscreen cracked yesterday

I am moving on

Going to the shop to look at HTC, LG, Samsung

Probably be the HTC

I feel sad I am leaving BlackBerry behind after 12 years but they haven't got a new touchscreen on offer

:(

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

therealHJ wrote:My BlackBerry Z10 touchscreen cracked yesterday

I am moving on

Going to the shop to look at HTC, LG, Samsung

Probably be the HTC

I feel sad I am leaving BlackBerry behind after 12 years but they haven't got a new touchscreen on offer

:(
My old phone died yesterday too. The charger filament things broke. Im now having to use an old cruddy phone of my wife's until i can afford a new one. :(
Proud Gammon

RIP Neil Peart 1952-2020.

Bad Blue 2000

Post by Bad Blue 2000 »

Insert Super Furry Animals song.
I HEAR YOU KNOCKIN', BUT YOU CAN'T COME IN...

Gosport Mark

Post by Gosport Mark »

HTC is the way to go now I think. Avoid all iPhones and Samsung galaxy lost appeal after S2.

If I were in your situation I'd most likely hold onto my current handset and get a good SIM only deal.

Edit. Just read the whole thread. Go HTC.
Any comments contained within this post which are deemed offensive are unintentional. If any poster does wish to complain then please PM me first for a personal apology.

therealHJ

Post by therealHJ »

Got two HTC One M8 phones, spent half a day setting them up, email cumbersome compared to BlackBerry but everything else seems good. Main downside is that they are sealed units and I can't drop a new battery if I have a heavy use day while travelling.

Thanks for the recommendations

Steve Hunt
Winner POTY - 2010 !!!!

Post by Steve Hunt »

therealHJ wrote:Got two HTC One M8 phones, spent half a day setting them up, email cumbersome compared to BlackBerry but everything else seems good. Main downside is that they are sealed units and I can't drop a new battery if I have a heavy use day while travelling.

Get yourself one of these, HJ - Label 31 booster:

ENIC OUT

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

therealHJ wrote:Got two HTC One M8 phones, spent half a day setting them up, email cumbersome compared to BlackBerry but everything else seems good. Main downside is that they are sealed units and I can't drop a new battery if I have a heavy use day while travelling.

Nay worries, HJ.
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

kevin04

Post by kevin04 »

I've got a Sony Experia something. It's not that new and girlfriend gave it to me 2 Christmas ago (cost her 80 quid so probably not new then), but it does a tremendous job.

Runkeeper, Whatsapp, plenty of music, Onecast for my podcasts, some sports apps, voice recorder/sound for any song ideas I get when blasting away on the guitar.

A top, top phone.
Bellend. Rupert Bell fanclub - MEMBER.

Steve Hunt
Winner POTY - 2010 !!!!

Post by Steve Hunt »

Coming out next month:

Samsung said today that the new Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge, its new flagship smartphones, will be released on April 10.
Both phones will be released on the same date around the world.
Leaks suggested that the phones could be sold for £699, but the company has made no firm statement on pricing.
The two phones were unveiled at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona today. The company showed off a new look for the phones – dropping the old plastic case for a metal and glass one – as well as a range of extra features.
It launched two new phones – the straight S6 as well as the Edge, a premium model with a screen that continues around the phone’s three sides.
The company is expecting to take on Apple with the new phone, after the last flagship model, the S5, was criticised for its cheap feel.
Early reviews of the phone suggest that it has succeeded in doing so, praising the phone’s classier design and high specs.

My phone is up for renewal in May. As i hate Apple, will definitely look into these - probably the S6

ENIC OUT

Roy Twing

Post by Roy Twing »

Steve Hunt wrote:Coming out next month:

Samsung said today that the new Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge, its new flagship smartphones, will be released on April 10.
Leaks suggested that the phones could be sold for £699, but the company has made no firm statement on pricing.
The two phones were unveiled at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona today. The company showed off a new look for the phones – dropping the old plastic case for a metal and glass one – as well as a range of extra features.
It launched two new phones – the straight S6 as well as the Edge, a premium model with a screen that continues around the phone’s three sides.
The company is expecting to take on Apple with the new phone, after the last flagship model, the S5, was criticised for its cheap feel.
Early reviews of the phone suggest that it has succeeded in doing so, praising the phone’s classier design and high specs.

My phone is up for renewal in May. As i hate Apple, will definitely look into these - probably the S6

I've just bought a Galaxy Alpha phone, - it's the only Samsung I've seen that looks and feels decent quality.
E & OE

Steve Hunt
Winner POTY - 2010 !!!!

Post by Steve Hunt »

Roy Twing wrote:

I've just bought a Galaxy Alpha phone, - it's the only Samsung I've seen that looks and feels decent quality.

What's it like, Roy?

Any good?

ENIC OUT

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

I couldn't care less anymore about latest models of fancy phones or owt else. As long as it makes calls, has the ability to record them, sends texts and has a half decent camera and connects to the net it does everything I really need. And that's frankly all of them.

They're just having people in the net bringing out new models every other week at seven hundred quid a pop.

I have to say the digital tape measure app is quite handy. 8)

Steve Hunt
Winner POTY - 2010 !!!!

Post by Steve Hunt »

m4rkb wrote:I couldn't care less anymore about latest models of fancy phones or owt else. As long as it makes calls, has the ability to record them, sends texts and has a half decent camera and connects to the net it does everything I really need. And that's frankly all of them.

They're just having people in the net bringing out new models every other week at seven hundred quid a pop.
I agree.

Trouble is they are only designed to last a few years, m4rkb. So you have to replace the bloody things anyway.

I am on a contract with EE, so if I am going to replace the thing anyway, I may as well get the best one suited for my needs.

ENIC OUT

Roy Twing

Post by Roy Twing »

Steve Hunt wrote:
Roy Twing wrote:

What's it like, Roy?

Any good?
I'm really pleased with it, - it does everything that the S5 can do; great battery life; camera, etc., but it just feels that it has a better build quality.
E & OE