Coldest climate you've experienced

Friendly chat, will be moderated if necessary.
lambrini

Coldest climate you've experienced

Post by lambrini »

Germany (Berlin, Oranienburg) in January. The temperature was below -10 degrees most days. Couldn't go outside without wearing at least three layers, gloves, hat scarf and a decent coat. Although I looked after my skin every day, by the end of the week it was very dry.

It was a great experience but despite Britain's annoyances, I was glad to be back in Blighty where the weather was reasonable and my skin wasn't going to age quickly. :lol: I don't think I could live in a cold country.

I'd love to visit Antartica, though; maybe Russia, Greenland and Canada.
POTY and TOTY Winner 2009

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Re: Coldest climate you've experienced

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

New York, February '99. Nearly crumbled but powered through like a mofo.
Speaking for the rest of the forum since 2019

Roquetas

Post by Roquetas »

Seems like this might be a thread for me.

-33 last week. My snot froze after 5 minutes.

-10 today and it feels perfectly fine. I'll never complain about cold in England again.
All eyes and ears...

therealHJ

Post by therealHJ »

Roquetas wrote:Seems like this might be a thread for me.

-10 today and it feels perfectly fine. I'll never complain about cold in England again.
Mine was also in Russia

Blagoveshchensk on the Chinese border in the Russian Far-East I was told the temperature reached -40c during the night but by the time I was out and about it was in the low-30's. I was fascinated by the constant sprinkle of fine ice crystals falling out of a clear blue sky.

Roquetas

Post by Roquetas »

Indeed. You can actually SEE cold. The air freezes. It's quite beautiful and can distract one from the thousand tiny ice daggers jabbing legs and cheeks.
All eyes and ears...

Lou Grant

Post by Lou Grant »

Occasionally got to around -30 when I lived in Montreal. In the summer it could get close to +40. Neither extreme is particularly comfortable.

In contrast, Cornwall rarely gets below zero or above 30.
Come for the rampant misogyny, stay for the tedious bitching

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

When in Niagara on the Lake and the falls froze -13.
Don't always believe what you think, because sometimes its' a load of shite

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

Roquetas wrote:Seems like this might be a thread for me.

:shock:

Have you read Apsley Cherry-Garrard's The Worst Journey in The World? A fantastic, yet tragic tale of human endurance, exploration and Romanticism. "We kept our tempers, even with God."

Extract from Wiki describing the Cape Crozier journey:
[...]Travelling during the Antarctic winter had not been previously tried; Scott wrote that it was "a bold venture, but the right men have gone to attempt it."[87] Cherry-Garrard later described the horrors of the 19 days it took to travel the 60 miles (97 km) to Cape Crozier. Gear, clothes, and sleeping bags were constantly iced up; on 5 July, the temperature fell below −77 °F (−60 °C) – "109 degrees of frost – as cold as anyone would want to endure in darkness and iced up clothes", wrote Cherry-Garrard. Often the daily distance travelled was little more than a single mile.[88]

At Cape Crozier the party, with great difficulty, built an igloo from snow blocks, stone, and a sheet of wood they had brought for the roof.[89] They were then able to visit the penguin colony and collect several emperor penguin eggs.[90] Subsequently their igloo shelter was almost destroyed in a blizzard with force 11 winds. The storm also carried away the tent upon which their survival would depend during their return journey, but fortunately this was recovered, half a mile away.[91] The group set out on the return journey to Cape Evans, arriving there on 1 August.[92] The three eggs that survived the journey went first to the Natural History Museum in South Kensington, and thereafter were the subject of a report from Dr. Cossar Stewart at the University of Edinburgh.[93] The eggs failed, however, to provide proof of Wilson's theories.[94]

Cherry-Garrard afterwards described this as the "worst journey in the world",[95] and used this as the title of the book that he wrote in 1922 as a record of the entire Terra Nova Expedition. Scott called the Winter Journey "a very wonderful performance",[92] and was highly satisfied with the experiments in rations and equipment: "We are as near perfection as experience can direct."[92]

Ironically, Bowers and Wilson lost their lives during the final journey to the South Pole:

Gosport Mark

Post by Gosport Mark »

lambrini wrote:Germany (Berlin, Oranienburg) in January. The temperature was below -10 degrees most days. Couldn't go outside without wearing at least three layers, gloves, hat scarf and a decent coat. Although I looked after my skin every day, by the end of the week it was very dry.

It was a great experience but despite Britain's annoyances, I was glad to be back in Blighty where the weather was reasonable and my skin wasn't going to age quickly. :lol: I don't think I could live in a cold country.

I lived in Berlin for a few years and recall some bitter bitter winters, but also some great snow. The coldest I have been was in Bosnia 1998/99. Although it was quite rare I recall on a few occasions the temperature dipped to -15.
Any comments contained within this post which are deemed offensive are unintentional. If any poster does wish to complain then please PM me first for a personal apology.

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

Gosport Mark wrote:
lambrini wrote:Germany (Berlin, Oranienburg) in January. The temperature was below -10 degrees most days. Couldn't go outside without wearing at least three layers, gloves, hat scarf and a decent coat. Although I looked after my skin every day, by the end of the week it was very dry.

I lived in Berlin for a few years and recall some bitter bitter winters, but also some great snow. The coldest I have been was in Bosnia 1998/99. Although it was quite rare I recall on a few occasions the temperature dipped to -15.
Wow, amazing. I loved Berlin; went to The Kunst Bunker in Mitte. http://www.sammlung-boros.de/bunker-berlin.html?L=1
I haven't seen much of Europe; there are so many places I want to visit, unfortunately not enough time at the moment.

Gosport Mark

Post by Gosport Mark »

lambrini wrote:
Gosport Mark wrote:

Wow, amazing. I loved Berlin; went to The Kunst Bunker in Mitte. http://www.sammlung-boros.de/bunker-berlin.html?L=1
I haven't seen much of Europe; there are so many places I want to visit, unfortunately not enough time at the moment.
I was only a teenager, but the city was amazing. got there as the wall was coming down.
Any comments contained within this post which are deemed offensive are unintentional. If any poster does wish to complain then please PM me first for a personal apology.

Reg

Post by Reg »

Minus 63
BE NICE TO EACH OTHER.

IF YOU CAN’T SAY SOMETHING KIND, SAY NOTHING AT ALL.

LET’S MAKE talkFORUM FUN AGAIN!

subsub

Post by subsub »

Worst was probably in Arizona on a national parks trip; an unexpected blizzard.

Fuck knows how cold it was, but I had about three T-shirts on under my fleece and thick jacket, and was still shivering in my tent.
SIX-TIME CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Minnesota late November 2013. Minus teens and worse with added windchill. Stood like a lemon on a bridge on the Mississippi too cold to care and had to blow out a trip to two diners featured on 'Man vs Food' as some walkng and just too cold. :( Luckily bailed home before the 2013–14 Yank cold winter really got going.

Great hat and glove action though and bought these babies still going strong. Hat $2.99 and gloves $6.99 from http://ragstock.com/ shop in Mall of America.

Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

paolo

Post by paolo »

-35 finland
-29 canada
-17 scotland
-16 st petersburg

yet coldest i have felt was walking home pissed one winter in sunderland
Poster of the Year

Respecting Democracy

Diversity is Genocide

Free Rodney Reed

colinthewarriormonkey

Post by colinthewarriormonkey »

-30 Lapland last year.

Was in a tent with a fire in it, it was so cold that the water vapour from the logs froze when it hit the cold air away from the perimeter of the fire, so it was actually snowing INSIDE the tent.
"The Cunt's Cunt."

"One desperate shithouse"

Windy Miller

Post by Windy Miller »

speaking to the ex
"Here is a box, a musical box, wound up and ready to play. But this box can hide a secret inside. Can you guess what is in it today?"

http://www.uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Trumpton

No longer the Bridesmaid

Stoke the ovens of lurve My Wind-o

No longer the Bridesmaid

Sheffield was pretty fucken cold tbf

Minisooms

Post by Minisooms »

Stairway above platform 19 at Edinburgh station :)
If you think this has a happy ending you haven't been paying attention

kevin04

Post by kevin04 »

Sweden probably. Mostly the people, but it was a chilly -5 or so.
Bellend. Rupert Bell fanclub - MEMBER.

Rossco

Post by Rossco »

Reached as low as -18 to -20 over here couple years ago. Frozen water all over the shop. Belfast became known as Smellfast for a while.
Psalm 23 - The Lord Is My Shepherd

Chris

Post by Chris »

About -20 when I worked in a Farmfoods distribution centre many years ago.
Signature

carcinogen

Post by carcinogen »

The Cold-Store. Birds-Eye Walls. Lowestoft. 1994-96. Used to defrost sections. -20. Well wrapped-up though with thermals. Plus easy access to stock-piles of Vienntta

Fred Kite: I've got to be off. I can't stay here arguing. I've got a lot to do. Report to the Executive, check up on the pickets.
Mrs. Kite: From what I can see, the only time you ever jolly well *do* any work is when you're on strike.

Chris

Post by Chris »

carcinogen wrote:The Cold-Store. Birds-Eye Walls. Lowestoft. 1994-96. Used to defrost sections. -20. Well wrapped-up though with thermals. Plus easy access to stock-piles of Vienntta
Yeah, the cold store, that's it. Freezing - despite the protective clothing. Shit job, low paid, but a free turkey and gateaux at Christmas.

Most of my workmates were regularly stealing produce. I didn't steal a thing during my time there, yet I was the one who was sacked. It was a non-unionised workforce and I tried to get the trade union in to represent us. Someone grassed me up to management and next thing I was out the door. I was only 19 years old so plenty of time to get another job.
Signature