Melancholy

Friendly chat, will be moderated if necessary.
Zambo

Melancholy

Post by Zambo »

Anyone else get this feeling from time to time, and if so what triggers it?

I feel like a pussy at times, but listening to music, watching tv programmes or films made during the period from my mid teens to early 20's sometimes kicks it off.

Maybe it is because for me those years were probably the best for me. Everyone gets good and bad periods during their lives, but that is the era that always sticks with me and has the clearest memories, whether that be getting pissed in the Hare and Hounds on a Friday night, picking birds up at the Locarno on Saturday nights, or going to the likes of Lloret de Mar for a fortnight with my mates in August. Nothing like that feeling you get with your first real girlfriend either.

I saw her a few years ago at a school reunion, it was emotional.

carcinogen

Re: Melancholy

Post by carcinogen »

Zambo wrote:Anyone else get this feeling from time to time, and if so what triggers it?
Quite natural.

Reg

Post by Reg »

Zambo wrote:Anyone else get this feeling from time to time, and if so what triggers it?
Ebola. :(

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

carcinogen wrote:
Quite natural.
Thinking of all the money i had in my savings account before Reg got hold of my bank details does it for me.
First i get melancholic. THEN I GET FUCKEN FURIOUS!!!!! And then i usually weep a lot.

paolo

Post by paolo »

connells 74-75 in car on ur own....embraces melancholy....sometimes have to let it take it's course

warmleatherette

Post by warmleatherette »

Try a pound shop for the likes of Brut/ hi karate/old spice or such like after shaves or my favorite "smitty did it" which was a cheap teenage perfume, smells for me are an amazing memory jogger.

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

AIDS

Gosport Mark

Post by Gosport Mark »

Jesus Christ men of the forum. Get a grip. We can all reminisce but you're lying to yourselves if you think you peaked in your late teens / early 20s. You haven't peaked yet!! Set a goal, work towards it and achieve it. Then set another goal. None of you are dead yet, leave the past in the past.

Sorry, I'm done now.

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

Gosport Mark wrote:Jesus Christ men of the forum. Get a grip. We can all reminisce but you're lying to yourselves if you think you peaked in your late teens / early 20s. You haven't peaked yet!! Set a goal, work towards it and achieve it. Then set another goal. None of you are dead yet, leave the past in the past.
Are you quite sure?

warmleatherette

Post by warmleatherette »

Gosport Mark wrote:Jesus Christ men of the forum. Get a grip. We can all reminisce but you're lying to yourselves if you think you peaked in your late teens / early 20s. You haven't peaked yet!! Set a goal, work towards it and achieve it. Then set another goal. None of you are dead yet, leave the past in the past.

Sorry, I'm done now.
Haha you might want to listen to the voices of experience :-)

Dinger

Post by Dinger »

I feel like a pussy at times, but listening to music, watching tv programmes or films made during the period from my mid teens to early 20's sometimes kicks it off.

Maybe it is because for me those years were probably the best for me. Everyone gets good and bad periods during their lives, but that is the era that always sticks with me and has the clearest memories, whether that be getting pissed in the Hare and Hounds on a Friday night, picking birds up at the Locarno on Saturday nights, or going to the likes of Lloret de Mar for a fortnight with my mates in August. Nothing like that feeling you get with your first real girlfriend either.

Cool post, I empathise. 'Ol Gosport is right though... There is no better day than today.

(or tomorrow, depends when you're reading)

Gosport Mark

Post by Gosport Mark »

Dinger wrote:

Cool post, I empathise. 'Ol Gosport is right though... There is no better day than today.

(or tomorrow, depends when you're reading)
Carpe diem my forum chums.

therealHJ

Post by therealHJ »

There's nowt wrong with a bit of reflection or sentimentality but if it descends into melancholy too often, there's a problem. You need to remember the past with affection but live in the present and make sure you have some sort of goal for the future; no matter how old you are.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Yeah, it's normally just fleeting, but there were a couple of periods, not recently, that were quite profound which made me feel uncomfortable.

I have tried to analyse it, but have drawn a blank as I have a happy current family life. Having said that, during the periods mentioned, I would have eagerly swapped it to return to that era. All a bit odd.

Steve Hunt
Winner POTY - 2010 !!!!

Post by Steve Hunt »

Zambo wrote:Yeah, it's normally just fleeting, but there were a couple of periods, not recently, that were quite profound which made me feel uncomfortable.

I have tried to analyse it, but have drawn a blank as I have a happy current family life. Having said that, during the periods mentioned, I would have eagerly swapped it to return to that era. All a bit odd.
No ones life runs perfectly smoothly, Zambo. We all have our ups and downs. I am normally a pretty positive bloke, always looking forward to the future (unless it is Spurs related). But I have had moments like you describe.

Worst thing ever is to bump into an ex-girlfriend. Especially if it is one you really liked & she looks hotter than ever! You can't help but wonder "what might have been"

Gosport Mark

Post by Gosport Mark »

Zambo wrote:Yeah, it's normally just fleeting, but there were a couple of periods, not recently, that were quite profound which made me feel uncomfortable.

Maybe deep down your not actually happ ywith your lot in life Zambo.

You've mentioned you've got a happy family life AND you're a Talkforum Mod.

Some people just don't know what they've got :wink:

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Thanks for the timely reminder Mark :D

AlcoholBrazil

Post by AlcoholBrazil »

Sorry, I'm done now.

I'd buy you all one of these to cheery you all up.

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

AlcoholBrazil wrote:

Sorry, I'm done now.

I'd buy you all one of these to cheery you all up.
Does itcome with that evocative wallpaper too?

Gosport Mark

Post by Gosport Mark »

Zambo do you remember rushing down stairs to get the bottle of milk of the doorstep just so you could treat yourself to the creamy top. Cracking.

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

Do you remember chalk hearts melting on a playground wall
Do you remember dawn escapes from moon washed college halls
Do you remember the cherry blossom in the market square
Do you remember I thought it was confetti in our hair

Gosport Mark

Post by Gosport Mark »

The Ghost of Alex Higgins wrote:Do you remember chalk hearts melting on a playground wall
:-({|=

AlcoholBrazil

Post by AlcoholBrazil »

Gosport Mark wrote:Zambo do you remember rushing down stairs to get the bottle of milk of the doorstep just so you could treat yourself to the creamy top. Cracking.
Or chasing away the magpies that were pecking at the foil top and knocking over the empty Dayla/Corona bottles.

Sadact7

Post by Sadact7 »

Gosport Mark wrote:
The Ghost of Alex Higgins wrote:Do you remember chalk hearts melting on a playground wall
And Debra do you recall?
Your house was very small,
With woodchip on the wall,
And when I came round to call,
You didn't notice me at all...

Thursty

Post by Thursty »

Sadact7 wrote:
Gosport Mark wrote:
And Debra do you recall?
Your house was very small,
With woodchip on the wall,
And when I came round to call,
You didn't notice me at all...
Deborah just died. :(