One for anyone who knows about cars

Friendly chat, will be moderated if necessary.
Zambo

One for anyone who knows about cars

Post by Zambo »

More interested at the moment in the last para, but would appreciate any comments on this.

I took Mrs Z car in to have some minor accident damage assessed and was staggered to be told I needed a new engine. Apparently there is a recall on a batch of 208s to have the lateral crankshaft play checked. The margin allowed was 0.5m and mine was 1mm, so a new engine it was.

Got that sorted, but if it is a recall why are dealers waiting for customers to bring vehicles in for something else? I was informed that the problem could bring the car to a standstill.

Apart from that, when I went to collect the car, I noticed that the engine warning light stayed on when I turned on the ignition. Diagnostics apparently showed a faulty oxygen pro sensor. The car is just over one year old. Is it likely that this part can become faulty in that time and was just a coincidence that it happened at this time, or is it more likely it was damaged when they fitted the new front end?
Don't always believe what you think, because sometimes its' a load of shite

warmleatherette

Re: One for anyone who knows about cars

Post by warmleatherette »

I've had 2 sensors go on a brand new VW within a year, both fixed under warranty.
Brilliantly Honest

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

They don't make em like the old days

Speaking for the rest of the forum since 2019

Reg

Post by Reg »

TGOAH 15K wrote:They don't make em like the old days

Torched in Yorkshire woodland, after running down Rupe. :(
BE NICE TO EACH OTHER.

IF YOU CAN’T SAY SOMETHING KIND, SAY NOTHING AT ALL.

LET’S MAKE talkFORUM FUN AGAIN!

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

Another con if you look under the bonnet of it.

Has the Engine light come on several motors over the years and it never made a fuck of difference to the performance.

In one I had, It stated in the manual I'll need to take it to a dealer to 'reset' the ECU so the light would go out even after the problem was fixed. that's if it existed at all. It cannot be done any other way it said. Only a dealer is sufficiently qualified and trained to do it, it said.

But in another chapter it warned against disconnecting the battery as any fault codes stored on it would be lost. Maybe dealers are the only ones with sufficient knowledge and are trained up enough to disconnect a battery?

But newer ECU's are even better with scamming built directly into them.

From what I am told OBD3 , which is On Board Diagnostics version 3 for anyone not in the know, will have wifi capability and can alert not the driver about any wayward emissions, but the people deemed more important to know first. ie those sending out the fines in the post.

It's all worth it though. Especially if it saves one life or a polar bear and criminal drivers one step up from child molesters polluting the environment are brought to book.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

warmleatherette wrote:I've had 2 sensors go on a brand new VW within a year, both fixed under warranty.
Got it back this avro appears fine now. Sounds like the sensor prob could have been kosher then. Thanks.
Don't always believe what you think, because sometimes its' a load of shite

Bad Blue 2000

Post by Bad Blue 2000 »

Reg wrote:

How much do you want for it, RegO?
I HEAR YOU KNOCKIN', BUT YOU CAN'T COME IN...

Sadact7

Post by Sadact7 »

Bad Blue 2000 wrote:
Reg wrote:

A million pounds
I was bummed by the ghost of Liberace

Reg

Post by Reg »

I'd pay a million pounds for old Sin's bones to have a proper send-off. :(

BE NICE TO EACH OTHER.

IF YOU CAN’T SAY SOMETHING KIND, SAY NOTHING AT ALL.

LET’S MAKE talkFORUM FUN AGAIN!

No longer the Bridesmaid

Sadact7 wrote:
Bad Blue 2000 wrote:
Reg wrote:

A million pounds
He's dropped the price?

No longer the Bridesmaid

Reg wrote:I'd pay a million pounds for old Sin's bones to have a proper send-off. :(

phpBB [video]

Hillman avenger

Post by Hillman avenger »

m4rkb wrote:Another con if you look under the bonnet of it.

Has the Engine light come on several motors over the years and it never made a fuck of difference to the performance.

In one I had, It stated in the manual I'll need to take it to a dealer to 'reset' the ECU so the light would go out even after the problem was fixed. that's if it existed at all. It cannot be done any other way it said. Only a dealer is sufficiently qualified and trained to do it, it said.

But in another chapter it warned against disconnecting the battery as any fault codes stored on it would be lost. Maybe dealers are the only ones with sufficient knowledge and are trained up enough to disconnect a battery?

But newer ECU's are even better with scamming built directly into them.

From what I am told OBD3 , which is On Board Diagnostics version 3 for anyone not in the know, will have wifi capability and can alert not the driver about any wayward emissions, but the people deemed more important to know first. ie those sending out the fines in the post.

It's all worth it though. Especially if it saves one life or a polar bear and criminal drivers one step up from child molesters polluting the environment are brought to book.
One of your more creative, though unsuccessful , attempts to link every topic with pc-ness, climate change...blah blah
Listen to Talksport and let it be a lesson to you

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

Not entirely true. I link these topics to incompetent leaders who have no other tool in their arsenal than hitting people with fines for dubiously related climate change reasons and putting ever more tracking devices onto everything we do and own.

Hillman avenger

Post by Hillman avenger »

m4rkb wrote:Not entirely true. I link these topics to incompetent leaders who have no other tool in their arsenal than hitting people with fines for dubiously related climate change reasons and putting ever more tracking devices onto everything we do and own.
Which fines?
Which tracking devices? The only ones I know about are the ones you can opt for to reduce your insurance.
Listen to Talksport and let it be a lesson to you

paolo

Post by paolo »

the murder of michael hastings has all the hallmarks of remote car control

conspire
Poster of the Year

Respecting Democracy

Diversity is Genocide

Free Rodney Reed

antdad

Post by antdad »

Zambo wrote: Apart from that, when I went to collect the car, I noticed that the engine warning light stayed on when I turned on the ignition. Diagnostics apparently showed a faulty oxygen pro sensor. The car is just over one year old. Is it likely that this part can become faulty in that time and was just a coincidence that it happened at this time, or is it more likely it was damaged when they fitted the new front end?
It's more usual for just the engine block to be replaced and if that was the case it means the dealership would have to remove the head as well as all the ancillaries off your old engine to fit onto the new including the manifold that houses the faulty lambda sensor and that could have easily taken a knock in the process. As for why they didn't do an automatic recall on the crankshaft fault I don't think it was imminently dangerous so I assume they just waited for the next time the car was due in which is less stressful to a garages' resources than a mass recall. You will also have a different engine number so you'll have to inform the DVLA to change the log book or you could have insurance issues or problems if you want to sell.