London

Friendly chat, will be moderated if necessary.
Roy Twing

London

Post by Roy Twing »

I'm reluctantly off for a few days in London, - finally beaten into submission to see a couple of shows that the other half has been wanting to see. It must be at least 10 years since I spent more than a few hours there - should be quite interesting to see how much it's changed.
But that aside, I know there's quite a few Londoners on here, and we have a free afternoon & evening on Thursday, and I wonder if there are any must see or do attractions these days?
E & OE

carcinogen

Re: London

Post by carcinogen »

Roy Twing wrote:I'm reluctantly off for a few days in London, - finally beaten into submission to see a couple of shows that the other half has been wanting to see. It must be at least 10 years since I spent more than a few hours there - should be quite interesting to see how much it's changed.
But that aside, I know there's quite a few Londoners on here, and we have a free afternoon & evening on Thursday, and I wonder if there are any must see or do attractions these days?
Not sure if you like Turner (I don't myself), but you may:

http://www.tate.org.uk/whats-on/tate-br ... g-set-free

The EY Exhibition: Late Turner – Painting Set Free
Tate Britain: Exhibition
10 September 2014 – 25 January 2015

Adult £16.50 (without donation £15.00)
Concession £14.50 (without donation £13.10)
Help Tate by including the voluntary donation to enable Gift Aid
Additional booking fee of £1.75 (£2 via telephone) per transaction applies
Under 12s go free (up to four per parent or guardian)
Fred Kite: I've got to be off. I can't stay here arguing. I've got a lot to do. Report to the Executive, check up on the pickets.
Mrs. Kite: From what I can see, the only time you ever jolly well *do* any work is when you're on strike.

Lord Notin Kwestion

Post by Lord Notin Kwestion »

Keep your eyes closed at all times to prevent spontaneous combustion.
The most abused and banned poster in Talkforum history.

warmleatherette

Post by warmleatherette »

Go look at the moat around the Tower, pretty impressive at the moment, then cross over the bridge and take a stroll along the south bank, always plenty going on and plenty of refreshment stops, hit the tube to Soho square for an evening meal and more refreshments :-)
Brilliantly Honest

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

Finsbury Park Mosque is always an attraction. Just down the road you can also visit the site Mark Duggan was shot.

AlcoholBrazil

Post by AlcoholBrazil »

Roy Twing wrote:But that aside, I know there's quite a few Londoners on here, and we have a free afternoon & evening on Thursday, and I wonder if there are any must see or do attractions these days?
I almost read that as a request for a meet up. I could see a cosy coffee and pannini scenario
with Rotary and Hillman discussing politics .
Boris " Do not look at what I am doing, Look how cute and adorable Dilyn is.....Look at Dilyn ! "

Steve Hunt
Winner POTY - 2010 !!!!

Post by Steve Hunt »

warmleatherette wrote:Go look at the moat around the Tower, pretty impressive at the moment, then cross over the bridge and take a stroll along the south bank, always plenty going on and plenty of refreshment stops, hit the tube to Soho square for an evening meal and more refreshments :-)

Good advice, warm.

Your Mrs will probably want to do the Oxford/Regent St thing, Roy. Don't bother.
Nearly all the same shops as you will find in any modern shopping centre.
If Arsenal were playing in my back garden, I would draw the curtains.

ENIC OUT

https://www.smava.de/european-debt-clock/

AlcoholBrazil

Post by AlcoholBrazil »

If you chat to any of the locals,(not the tourists) ,Roy, please report your findings of the Natives of The Old Smoke.
I take it Jellied Eels and Pie and Mash are not on your TO DO list .
Boris " Do not look at what I am doing, Look how cute and adorable Dilyn is.....Look at Dilyn ! "

Steve Hunt
Winner POTY - 2010 !!!!

Post by Steve Hunt »

Roy - I would give Tower Hamlets, Plaistow, Ilford, Brent, Wembley and Forest Gate a miss if I were you :lol:

ENIC OUT

Steve Hunt
Winner POTY - 2010 !!!!

Post by Steve Hunt »

AlcoholBrazil wrote:
Roy Twing wrote:But that aside, I know there's quite a few Londoners on here, and we have a free afternoon & evening on Thursday, and I wonder if there are any must see or do attractions these days?
I almost read that as a request for a meet up. I could see a cosy coffee and pannini scenario

No chance. Hillman wouldn't venture away from leafy Henley to "rough it" with the masses :wink:

ENIC OUT

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

Steve Hunt wrote:
AlcoholBrazil wrote:

No chance. Hillman wouldn't venture away from leafy Henley to "rough it" with the masses :wink:
Not even to visit his London properties?
Proud Gammon

RIP Neil Peart 1952-2020.

Roy Twing

Post by Roy Twing »

warmleatherette wrote:Go look at the moat around the Tower, pretty impressive at the moment, then cross over the bridge and take a stroll along the south bank, always plenty going on and plenty of refreshment stops, hit the tube to Soho square for an evening meal and more refreshments :-)
Did the tower yesterday and god knows how many other sights; the 39 steps last night; a nice meal and cruise on the Thames today, and off to the jersey boys now.
Wouldn't want to live here but definitely see what the fuss is about.
E & OE

Sadact7

Post by Sadact7 »

Roy Twing wrote:
Did the tower yesterday and god knows how many other sights; the 39 steps last night; a nice meal and cruise on the Thames today, and off to the jersey boys now.
Did you enjoy the tower? Me and the missus went a couple of months back and I found the poppies absolutely beautiful
I was bummed by the ghost of Liberace

Roy Twing

Post by Roy Twing »

Sadact7 wrote:
Roy Twing wrote:
Did you enjoy the tower? Me and the missus went a couple of months back and I found the poppies absolutely beautiful
I think you can't not be impressed with the tower, - something for everyone.
Had a great time all round, but the most impressive part is simply the underground, - and also the funniest. I seemed to be the only one who found the people coming down the escalators in a hurry to be hilarious (as in the old 'keep on trucking' cartoons).
Anyway, it opened my eyes somewhat to the topics that interest me on the D&D, and I will post there at on it at some point.
E & OE