Farage torpedoes himself

A place to discuss the shambles that is the UK General Election 2015 - free and open discussion for all!!
Hillman avenger

Re: Farage torpedoes himself

Post by Hillman avenger »

The audience was selected by a third party, in line with what the broadcasters agreed before any of it started.

There is no evidence that Mori is "the BBC's lapdog".

There is really a serious problem here with Twing and Farage both that they are so sure they speak for the common people that when the common people express themselves, and disagree with them, they can't cope. They decide they aren't talking to the "common people" but a group selected to disagree with them. It never occurs, apparently, that the reason "the common people" think differently- or at least some do- is because THEY ARE WRONG.

I think it was the housing point that triggered Farage's outburst. I wouldn't argue that immigrants add to the housing demand ( but, presumably, emigrants add to the supply) but there are other reasons. The failure to build houses would be one; the increasing longevity another; and the trend towards single-person households. All Farage mentions (as did Nuttall at the meeting I went to the other night) is the immigrant element- which is what Sturgeon said to him. After a while you wonder whether they are genuinely interested in solving the problem, or that they like the fact that it exists, because it suits them.

A smart move would have been to condemn the right-to-buy measures from the Tories. That amounts to a bribe to householders. Housing Associations, shamefully now the dominant source of social housing, have rejected the idea. All it will do is give those people a nice bonus and nothing to improve supply. Cynical.
Listen to Talksport and let it be a lesson to you

9 to 5

Post by 9 to 5 »

kancutlawns wrote:
9 to 5 wrote:
the rotary club wrote:
Roy Twing wrote: I have been proven right on so many issues over the years, so it is hardly delusional to state that your mindset doggedly buries its head in the sand.
:smt044 :smt044 :smt044 :smt044 :smt044
This is why I kept coming back on here, you can't find comedy like this anywhere else! :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: He was whineging earlier in the week that everyone who used to argue with him has fucked off or got bored. He's back again!!
All I have learnt from Twingo is if the facts and figures say you are wrong, tell people you know of different facts and figures that "they" don't want you to know. But never to show or link you the 'real' scoop.

Rantan Zero

Post by Rantan Zero »

Hillman avenger wrote:The audience was selected by a third party, in line with what the broadcasters agreed before any of it started.

There is no evidence that Mori is "the BBC's lapdog".

There is really a serious problem here with Twing and Farage both that they are so sure they speak for the common people that when the common people express themselves, and disagree with them, they can't cope. They decide they aren't talking to the "common people" but a group selected to disagree with them. It never occurs, apparently, that the reason "the common people" think differently- or at least some do- is because THEY ARE WRONG.
I think the problem with the like of Farage is that he spends so much time with people who share his views and yes men that he's deluded into thinking his views are more popular with the public than they really are.

Roy Twing

Post by Roy Twing »

9 to 5 wrote:
kancutlawns wrote:
9 to 5 wrote:
the rotary club wrote:
Roy Twing wrote: I have been proven right on so many issues over the years, so it is hardly delusional to state that your mindset doggedly buries its head in the sand.
:smt044 :smt044 :smt044 :smt044 :smt044
This is why I kept coming back on here, you can't find comedy like this anywhere else! :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: He was whineging earlier in the week that everyone who used to argue with him has fucked off or got bored. He's back again!!
All I have learnt from Twingo is if the facts and figures say you are wrong, tell people you know of different facts and figures that "they" don't want you to know. But never to show or link you the 'real' scoop.
Give me an example of what you mean and I'll be delighted to discuss with you.
E & OE

Ralph
Forum Admin

Post by Ralph »

Hillman avenger wrote:There is no evidence that Mori is "the BBC's lapdog".
:D

All this conspiratorial bollocks. Farage got it wrong. The end.

Roy Twing

Post by Roy Twing »

Ralph wrote:

No he didn't.
E & OE

the rotary club

Post by the rotary club »

Oh yes he did.
Roger Dodger, you ol' codger.

Ralph
Forum Admin

Post by Ralph »

Roy Twing wrote:
Ralph wrote:

No he didn't.

He said it was a BBC audience when it had been selected by the polling company MORI. Nidge made a mistake. It's not treason to acknowledge that & move on.

Roy Twing

Post by Roy Twing »

Ralph wrote:
Roy Twing wrote:
Ralph wrote:

No he didn't.

He said it was a BBC audience when it had been selected by the polling company MORI. Nidge made a mistake. It's not treason to acknowledge that & move on.
Was the BBC forced by an outside authority to use a polling company?

But that is a trivial aside in any event, - unless that is all that you meant when you said Farage got it wrong, in which case, can we take it from that that you agree with him that it was a biased audience?
E & OE

Ralph
Forum Admin

Post by Ralph »

Roy Twing wrote:
Ralph wrote:
Roy Twing wrote:
Ralph wrote:

No he didn't.

But that is a trivial aside in any event, - unless that is all that you meant when you said Farage got it wrong, in which case, can we take it from that that you agree with him that it was a biased audience?
An outside authority? :D

I'm guessing how the audience was selected was agreed when the debates were being negotiated between the parties & the broadcasters. I assume Sky News or whoever didn't just let people wander in off the street & had a similar arrangement.

the rotary club

Post by the rotary club »

An agreement UKIP would have been party too.
Roger Dodger, you ol' codger.

Roy Twing

Post by Roy Twing »

Ralph wrote:
Roy Twing wrote:
Ralph wrote:
Roy Twing wrote:
Ralph wrote:

No he didn't.

I'm guessing how the audience was selected was agreed when the debates were being negotiated between the parties & the broadcasters. I assume Sky News or whoever didn't just let people wander in off the street & had a similar arrangement.
So I can take it that you agree with Farage in that the audience was left-wing.
E & OE

Hillman avenger

Ralph wrote:
Roy Twing wrote:
Ralph wrote:
Roy Twing wrote:
Ralph wrote:

No he didn't.

Contrary to what is frequently alleged, the audiences for this and QT are selected through a process to get a balanced group.
You can't just walk in off the street- that way any pressure group or party could swamp a programme.
In this case in addition to the usual BBC process, the broadcasters agreed in advance how they would do this sort of thing.
Yes, UKIP would have been aware of that, but Farage ( with good reason) doesn't trust his followers so he probably didn't pay attention.
I thought it was particularly telling that the person asking a question about immigration- which looked like an open goal for Farage- was black.
Twing and co must really underestimate the BBC, if he thinks they would fiddle the audience and get away with it.
I know there is an obsession within UKIP that the media is out to get them, having heard about it on Tuesday night from Nuttall. All that is really happening is that they are getting the sort of attention the established parties have had for years.
Farage really looked bad last night.

Ralph
Forum Admin

Post by Ralph »

Roy Twing wrote:
Ralph wrote:
Roy Twing wrote:
Ralph wrote:
Roy Twing wrote:
Ralph wrote:

No he didn't.

So I can take it that you agree with Farage in that the audience was left-wing.
No Roy.

Roy Twing

Post by Roy Twing »

Hillman avenger wrote:
Ralph wrote:
Roy Twing wrote:
Ralph wrote:
Roy Twing wrote:
Ralph wrote:

No he didn't.

Contrary to what is frequently alleged, the audiences for this and QT are selected through a process to get a balanced group.
You can't just walk in off the street- that way any pressure group or party could swamp a programme.
In this case in addition to the usual BBC process, the broadcasters agreed in advance how they would do this sort of thing.
Yes, UKIP would have been aware of that, but Farage ( with good reason) doesn't trust his followers so he probably didn't pay attention.
I thought it was particularly telling that the person asking a question about immigration- which looked like an open goal for Farage- was black.
Twing and co must really underestimate the BBC, if he thinks they would fiddle the audience and get away with it.
I know there is an obsession within UKIP that the media is out to get them, having heard about it on Tuesday night from Nuttall. All that is really happening is that they are getting the sort of attention the established parties have had for years.
Farage really looked bad last night.
We all know how the BBC selects audiences hillman (I've actually been through the process and it is fair to say that the liberal luvvies ticking their boxes really do try to be unbiased from their liberal luvvie perspectives).
In this specific case however (and whoever actually carried out the selection) Dimbleby himself stated that the audience was representative of the parties present, NOT the country as a whole, - in other words, 80% left-wing, - which is why Farage made the point that the real audience was at home watching the TV.
E & OE

Roy Twing

Post by Roy Twing »

Ralph wrote:
No Roy.
So you also obviously think that Farage got that part wrong as well, - please elaborate.
E & OE

Hillman avenger

I think you know that was what he meant, and this morning on BBC they have confirmed that.

You don't have to be left-wing to find UKIP to be immigrant-obsessed and xenophobic. In the last month or so I've encountered upwards of 30 of them, and that's what they are.

Roy, you get so shocked when you encounter reality. You seem to be waiting for reality to adapt to you, rather than the other way around.

Roy Twing

Post by Roy Twing »

Hillman avenger wrote:I think you know that was what he meant, and this morning on BBC they have confirmed that.

You don't have to be left-wing to find UKIP to be immigrant-obsessed and xenophobic. In the last month or so I've encountered upwards of 30 of them, and that's what they are.

Roy, you get so shocked when you encounter reality. You seem to be waiting for reality to adapt to you, rather than the other way around.
Confirmed what?
E & OE

Ralph
Forum Admin

Post by Ralph »

Roy Twing wrote:We all know how the BBC selects audiences hillman (I've actually been through the process and it is fair to say that the liberal luvvies ticking their boxes really do try to be unbiased from their liberal luvvie perspectives).
In this specific case however (and whoever actually carried out the selection) Dimbleby himself stated that the audience was representative of the parties present, NOT the country as a whole, - in other words, 80% left-wing, - which is why.
The BBC didn't select this audience. That's where Nigel got it wrong. His argument/whinge was undermined by the facts.

How have you arrived at the 80% left wing figure? It sounds dubious say the least.

Ralph
Forum Admin

Post by Ralph »

Roy Twing wrote:
Ralph wrote:
No Roy.
So you also obviously think that Farage got that part wrong as well, - please elaborate.
I've no reason to believe that the audience selected by MORI had a left wing bias. I don't think Farage's complaint has any merit at all - it was factually inaccurate for a start.

Roy Twing

Post by Roy Twing »

Ralph wrote:
Roy Twing wrote:We all know how the BBC selects audiences hillman (I've actually been through the process and it is fair to say that the liberal luvvies ticking their boxes really do try to be unbiased from their liberal luvvie perspectives).
In this specific case however (and whoever actually carried out the selection) Dimbleby himself stated that the audience was representative of the parties present, NOT the country as a whole, - in other words, 80% left-wing, - which is why.
The BBC didn't select this audience. That's where Nigel got it wrong. His argument/whinge was undermined by the facts.
And as I keep trying to say, whether the BBC actually employed the selectors, or sub-contracted the work, it makes no difference.
Ralph wrote:How have you arrived at the 80% left wing figure? It sounds dubious say the least.

Assuming Dimbleby was correct, and the audience represented the parties present (rather than the general population, which is what they usually profess to aspire to), I would have though we could all agree at least on the fact that labour; plaid; SNP & the greens ( namely, 80% of the parties present) were all left-wing?
E & OE

Holden Mcgroyne

Post by Holden Mcgroyne »

I don't think Farage was trying to convert any new voters with the outburst. He's just looking to hold the share he has and by portraying himself as a victim amongst a shower of BBC chosen lefties, he's doing exactly that.

He was right about the audience though, there's no way UKIP were proportionately represented there.
'I say if the flats aren't good enough for you, why don't you f... off back to Somalia' .........Jon Gaunt

Ralph
Forum Admin

Post by Ralph »

Roy Twing wrote:
Ralph wrote:
And as I keep trying to say, whether the BBC actually employed the selectors, or sub-contracted the work, it makes no difference.
Ralph wrote:How have you arrived at the 80% left wing figure? It sounds dubious say the least.

Assuming Dimbleby was correct, and the audience represented the parties present (rather than the general population, which is what they usually profess to aspire to), I would have though we could all agree at least on the fact that labour; plaid; SNP & the greens ( namely, 80% of the parties present) were all left-wing?
Well assuming you're correct why did Farage & UKIP agree to this arrangement? Bit late to start complaining after the programme has started. And you're not going to win the audience round by calling them names.

If Dave Cameron hadn't been such a big girls blouse & agreed to take part the audience would have presumably been made up of roughly 36% Tories?

Rantan Zero

Post by Rantan Zero »

Ralph wrote:
The way that the audience clapped Dimbleby when he corrected Farage does rather play into Farage's argument though. As much as i dislike the guy i think Farage knows exactly what he's doing. Offend the audience by saying they're against him and then when they react back negatively he can then turn around and say "look i was right after all" to any potential voters watching at home.

Hillman avenger

Yes they supported Dimbleby but why is open to debate.

You could argue that the sentiment was "This guy's a twat and good on you for telling him so".