The 2015 General Election Thread

A place to discuss the shambles that is the UK General Election 2015 - free and open discussion for all!!
therealHJ

Re: The 2015 General Election Thread

Post by therealHJ »

Yougov poll

Most voters think austerity is best

colinthewarriormonkey

Post by colinthewarriormonkey »

therealHJ wrote:Yougov poll

Most voters think austerity is best

That because unlike the fuckwits from privileged background who lead all 3 parties, ordinary people actually have to worry about spending too much and going into debt.

They actually understand that at some point the debt has to be paid back.
"The Cunt's Cunt."

"One desperate shithouse"

therealHJ

Post by therealHJ »

I agree

For "austerity" read "living within your means"

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

colinthewarriormonkey wrote:
That because unlike the fuckwits from privileged background who lead all 3 parties, ordinary people actually have to worry about spending too much and going into debt.

They actually understand that at some point the debt has to be paid back.
Does that include the 30% who are going to vote for a Labour Government?
Don't always believe what you think, because sometimes its' a load of shite

therealHJ

Post by therealHJ »

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

I bet a tory is mighty relieved.
Don't always believe what you think, because sometimes its' a load of shite

NorthBank

Post by NorthBank »

Hillman avenger wrote:
NorthBank wrote:It doesn't matter who gets into government, the decisions made by the Bilderberg Group and it's wealthy, powerful affiliates are what really dictate the future agenda. Politicians and political parties don't have the power to do anything, they are just PR spokesmen taking orders for their rewards.
Grow up
Turn off the BBC and do some of your own research. It's never a good idea to swallow everything force fed to you.

Hillman avenger

Post by Hillman avenger »

It's got nothing to do with the BBC.

I have researched the Bilderberg Group, and there's nothing sinister or controlling about it.
Listen to Talksport and let it be a lesson to you

NorthBank

Post by NorthBank »

Hillman avenger wrote: I have researched the Bilderberg Group, and there's nothing sinister or controlling about it.
:lol: You'll be telling us next that politicians and the media never lie.

kevin04

Post by kevin04 »

SNP on the same as the Libs UK wide. 5% :lol:
Bellend. Rupert Bell fanclub - MEMBER.

therealHJ

Post by therealHJ »

Clegg a lot more impressive than Ed on Sky/Facebook #asktheleaders when being questioned by young people. He was a bit shouty though at times but avoided the apparatchik mode which is Ed's default :) Cleggy also answered the questions posed to him

Cameron up next

the rotary club

Post by the rotary club »

If i was betting man I'd bet you'll think Cameron was the best you'll maybe include a small criticism but at the end of the day you'll produce the expected brown nosing post. :lol:

Yougov's poll for yesterdays Sunday Times

Con 32
Lab 35
Lib Dem 7
UKIP 15
Other 12
Roger Dodger, you ol' codger.

Roy Twing

Post by Roy Twing »

therealHJ wrote:Clegg a lot more impressive than Ed on Sky/Facebook #asktheleaders when being questioned by young people. He was a bit shouty though at times but avoided the apparatchik mode which is Ed's default :) Cleggy also answered the questions posed to him

Cameron up next

No Farage, - no point.
E & OE

therealHJ

Post by therealHJ »

Q1 "How are people on zero hour contract expected to be able to pay for rent, food, travel and plan their financial futures"?

PM "There are some contracts where people are abused. We've said these zero-hours contracts, where companies can effectively forbid you working for anybody else, we say that is wrong and we've legislated to stop that.Some people value flexible contracts, some individuals value it, businesses and others value it. I don't think it's right to ban the contracts, but it's right to ban the abuse and that's what we've done".

Neutral answer

Q2 Another question on zero hours contracts

PM "We want an economy and a country where if you work hard and get the qualifications, you should be able to get a decent job. That's why we've invested so much in apprenticeships.
As the Deputy Prime Minister was saying earlier, Nick Clegg, the apprenticeship minimum wage is not that high, but the training you get and the experience should mean you go on to get a really good job. My vision for the country is, as you leave school everyone should have the chance of doing an apprenticeship or going to a university. Then you're going to get more well-paid jobs and fewer badly-paid jobs. That's the key for the future".

I thought this was a good answer

Q3 "Why did Britain fly the Saudi flag at half mast if the country has such an appalling human rights record?" (Good question!)

PM "We don't agree with lots of things that the Saudis do. We don't agree with the way they treat people, for instance criminals. We make clear those differences. But when the king died, as a mark of respect, we thought it was right to show that respect".

Q3 "But isn't it disrespectful to the people who the Saudi king has sentenced to 1,000 lashes"? (Another good question)

PM "I know how concerned people were about that. They look at things that happen in Saudi Arabia and think why do we have this relationship. We have a relationship with Saudi Arabia partly over things like trying to achieve peace in the Middle East and crucially, over fighting terrorism. One time since I've been Prime Minister, a piece of information that we've been given by that country has saved potentially hundreds of lives here in Britain. You can be Prime Minister and just say exactly what you think about every regime in the world and make headlines and give great speeches, but my first job is to keep this country safe from terrorism"

A fair answer, realpolitik?

Q4 "Does the relationship with Saudi Arabia have anything to do with oil"?

PM "Yes of course, Britain needs to have relationships with countries that we trade with, including those that we buy oil and gas from. Indeed, I would argue if you have a relationship with them and have a way of talking to them, they're more likely to listen to you".

More realpolitik except for the delusion they listen to us!

Q5 "With the 'War on Drugs' failing, would you consider treating drugs as a health issue rather than a criminal one"?

PM "Drug use in Britain -- the real focus of this Government on drugs has not been to change the laws, I don't support that. We should go after people who deal and sell to young people and the rest of it. We have tried to emphasise on educating people properly on drugs and much more emphasis on treatment - not just giving substitute drugs, but trying to help get people off drugs.
That's why we see drug use coming down. We haven't cracked it, but it's heading in the right direction. I wouldn't change the criminal law, that would be a mistake".

An easy question for the PM I think

Q6 "Why are the Tories going to scrap Housing Benefit for 16 to 21-year-olds when every pensioner still gets the winter fuel allowance"?

PM "The reason is, as I've been saying earlier when young people leave school, there should be opportunities to earn by doing an apprenticeship or getting a job or opportunities to learn by an apprenticeship or going to university. The option of leaving school, signing on, moving out of home, getting a flat and living on Housing Benefit, I don't think that is any start to life at all. I don't think it should be an option. There are some people who for whatever reason cannot be at home and have to be away from their parents, and we will always help them".

First part easy but he ignored the fuel allowance part of the question, why do pensioners living on the Costa de Sol get it?

Someone in the audience pipes up "I think that's a very bad approach. You're using an example of a small minority of people who sign on to punish the large majority who do sign on for so many reasons - maybe they have kids or family issues. You're making a big mistake taking that away from young people".

PM "I don't agree that this is a tiny minority of people. Today there is the option as you leave school to go and sign on, get unemployment benefit and get a flat and Housing Benefit. I think that is a bad way to start your life.It's much better to go on and do either an apprenticeship or go to university or college or get a job. Those are better options".

Good response by the PM

Q7 "Which party leader will eradicate the farcical Prime Minister's Questions - don't we have enough comedies on TV without this re-run over and over again"?

PM "Amen. Every Wednesday I put my head in my hands and think why do I have to do this? It's a nightmare. Does it have a purpose? Maybe you think it hasn't. There are two points to it - one is that members of Parliament, from whatever party, they can ask you any question they like. So you have got to try to be on top of your game and everything that's happening. That has a knock-on advantage, which means that as Prime Minister, you've got to know everything going on in your Government. It does enforce some accountability of the departments and the ministers to you and through you to Parliament.Yes it is noisy and crazy and infuriating and all the rest of it, but there is some sort of point to it".

Audience member saying "I think it's horrible. It's one of the biggest disengagers for voters, it's petty. Everybody involved, including yourself, stands there and shouts at other members of the House. It's disgusting and I think it's horrible".

PM "I agree. It is not representative of what Parliament does, as 98% of what Parliament does is scrutinising legislation questioning ministers more responsibly, the work of select committees, making sure our laws make sense. There is really good work done in Parliament, PMQs is like one piece. You're right - it is like the Roman Circus. If I said let's get rid of it, I think people would think you were running away from responsibility".

Easy questions in reality

Q8 "As a young British Muslim, I've seen the community is experiencing the negative effect of counter-terrorism laws. What is your Government doing to support and engage the vast majority of Muslim community, who are not engaged in any terrorist activities and who want to take a strong leadership role to tackle this issue"? (Similar to the question Ed M had)

PM "The most important thing we can do is literally to engage with the overwhelming majority of British Muslims who want nothing to do with this appalling extremism and terror. One of the things that's been impressive in recent months and years is when one of these outrages takes place, the first people to get out there, whether on Twitter or the television or radio, is leaders of the British Muslim community condemning what has happened. That's incredibly powerful.
We need to do more to explain to everybody that this is the people we're talking about is a minority of a minority. They are spreading a poisonous narrative of extremism and terror that we've got to fight".

A better answer than Ed's but still not punchy enough IMO if her community did something about the terrorists in their midst they wouldn't have a problem with anti-terror legislation

Q9 "Why are tampons taxed in the UK"

PM "I will get back to you"

:lol:

Q10 "What are your views on online voting? And do you think 16 and 17-year-olds should be allowed to vote in elections (also online voting)"?

PM "My view 18 is a better age. It's the age where so many other things kick in. Online voting, I don't have any objection to it - but I think we're asking the wrong question. The reason people don't vote is not because it's too complicated to go down to the polling station. The reason people don't vote is they don't think it makes enough of a difference. We should focus on trying to make sure our politics is delivering the things people want, rather than simply trying to work out how do we make it easier to vote".

Good answer by the PM

Q11 "If you look around this room, people are engaged in politics come from a multitude of backgrounds, however just 4.2% of MPs in the House of Commons are from an ethnic minority, despite 12.9% making up the population. Just over one in five MPs in the House of Commons are women. Given this, can we say that Parliament is a truly representative institution, and can we really trust you to create policies that encompass marginalised groups"?

PM "The short answer to your question is today, Parliament is not properly representative of the country. It has changed and got better in that there are now more women MPs and more members of Parliament from black and minority communities, but not enough. My party is a good example. Before the election, we had 17 women MPs. Now we have over 50, but that's still not enough. I have 300 members of Parliament, but it's progress. Before the last election, we had few members of Parliament from black and minority ethnic groups. Now we have British Sikhs, British Asians black Conservative people on the benches. The Culture Secretary is a British Muslim, full member of the Cabinet. It's a really important thing about our country that people can come from other parts of the world. In one or two generations. I want them to be able to sit round the Cabinet table, or be captains of industry or senior judges in the land. It's happening and it's a precious thing we've got, but we have to push it harder and faster".

The politically correct answer

One thing that was very noticable is that Ed Miliband got soft questions and questions which allowed him to promote Labour policies whereas Cameron got more difficult questions. The inner city ethnic mix of questioners was also apparent with the audience weighted. Many of Cam's questions could almost have come from Sky's new leftist pro-ethnic pro-muslim political editor!

As an event it was a non-event and only confirmed what we already know

Ed had nothing to say
Clegg more eloquent if not a bit schoolmaster like but tainted with burdens of government
Cam solid but not outstanding

Interesting that Cam didn't get one question on the economy an area he could have been much more positive about.

therealHJ

Post by therealHJ »

the rotary club wrote:If i was betting man I'd bet you'll think Cameron was the best you'll maybe include a small criticism but at the end of the day you'll produce the expected brown nosing post. :lol:

Yougov's poll for yesterdays Sunday Times

Con 32
Lab 35
Lib Dem 7
UKIP 15
Other 12
Look at the trend of the poll of polls it doesn't read well for Ed

Here's another poll from today

Latest Ashcroft poll:
CON - 31% (-1)
LAB - 31% (-1)
UKIP - 15% (-)
GRN - 9% (-)
LDEM - 8% (+2)

Cam was the best, not great, but definitely the best

Ed was appalling and didn't answer the questions he was asked

lv

Post by lv »

The closer it gets, the harder it is to decide who to vote for

None of them offer a fucking tap other than to tell me why the other side is shite.
They sit on pledges that could have been implemented earlier to win votes at election
They lie and lie and lie
Fill their pockets

Tories = Cunts - personally i'm more secure with them out, being a local government wallie - they promote selfishness , greed and fuck you, i'm alright jackism

Labour - Lying, useless, incompetent fools - Happy to bankrupt you as they won't be in office when it has to be fixed (by us through tax) you could level this at any party, their world exists for the duration of their term in office, anything after that isn't their concern as we pay the bill not them.

Lib's - untrustable with clegg at the helm after uni fee's fiasco - way too happy to jump in bed with the tories for their deputy prefect badge

Ukip - single issue party which most of us agree with in principle - however they accumulate idiots, bigots and racists in their ranks. No where near structured enough to run the country.

Greens - Protest vote option, not enough policy and some of it is just insane if applied in the real world

I suppose i will have to go labour for reasons above but if any of them guaranteed to ban zero hours contracts properly then i'd vote with them, that's my biggest issue for this election, it does not affect me but i fear for my and other peoples kids with how employment works these days.

It would be interesting not just to have a "none of the above" on the ballot but for an option to say "None of the above and must be removed from office" as this may be the only way to get a sea change in the cesspit of what we now call politics by kicking them all out.
"If there's anything more important than my ego around here, I want it caught and shot now."

Roy Twing

Post by Roy Twing »

lv wrote:
It would be interesting not just to have a "none of the above" on the ballot but for an option to say "None of the above and must be removed from office" as this may be the only way to get a sea change in the cesspit of what we now call politics by kicking them all out.
I've long felt that this is indeed a desirable option, but I think it should effectively say to the politicians, - 'none of you has my vote, so go away and come back with better policies that will make me vote FOR you.
E & OE

the rotary club

Post by the rotary club »

It a nonsense and entirely negative idea 'none of the above', the point of elections is elect some cunt not to make some arcane ideological point.

PR would surely widen choice and satisfy your wants.
Roger Dodger, you ol' codger.

Roy Twing

Post by Roy Twing »

the rotary club wrote:It a nonsense and entirely negative idea 'none of the above', the point of elections is elect some cunt not to make some arcane ideological point.

PR would surely widen choice and satisfy your wants.
No, - if (as has been generally the case) none of the parties represented on my ballot paper have a manifesto that I agree with, the nonsense is that I must vote FOR one of them, or be regarded as 'not engaging in the democratic process'.
Much more logical that they should go away and try harder, don't you think?
Or, if none of them want my vote, that I can continue to vote FOR something, namely, 'none of the above'.
E & OE

therealHJ

Post by therealHJ »

Last week UCAS stated that university applications are at record levels for 2015

Today Labour's Liam Byrne said that high fees are discouraging young people from applying to go to university.

Last week Ed Miliband said he wanted to reduce university tuition fees to £6000 on Friday the Vice-Chancellors wrote an open letter to The Times saying that it would leave a £10 billion "black hole" .

Apparently Ed Mili has given the task to Ed Balls to find £10 billion for the cut in fees. Mansion tax? Fifty pence tax rate? Bankers bonus tax?

Sadly for Ed all three combined won't raise £10 billion and in any case Labour have been spent them several time over already.

They haven't got a clue

Roy Twing

Post by Roy Twing »

Roy Twing wrote:
therealHJ wrote:Clegg a lot more impressive than Ed on Sky/Facebook #asktheleaders when being questioned by young people. He was a bit shouty though at times but avoided the apparatchik mode which is Ed's default :) Cleggy also answered the questions posed to him

Cameron up next

No Farage, - no point.
Thinking about this, Farage does appear to be absent from the media of late, - or is it just that I've missed the appearances?
E & OE

Steve Hunt
Winner POTY - 2010 !!!!

Post by Steve Hunt »

Roy Twing wrote:
Roy Twing wrote:

Cameron up next

No Farage, - no point.
Thinking about this, Farage does appear to be absent from the media of late, - or is it just that I've missed the appearances?

The only press he will get in the mainstream media in the next few months will be negative,Roy.

The likes of the Daily Mail are so scared of the Tories losing, UKIP will be completely ignored unless the detect a hint of scandal. They are devoting all their energies on Milliband & Labour. They won't give any publicity to UKIP if they can help it.

Likewise, go on the politics section of BBC website - nothing on UKIP.
If Arsenal were playing in my back garden, I would draw the curtains.

ENIC OUT

https://www.smava.de/european-debt-clock/

colinthewarriormonkey

Post by colinthewarriormonkey »

therealHJ wrote:Last week UCAS stated that university applications are at record levels for 2015

Today Labour's Liam Byrne said that high fees are discouraging young people from applying to go to university.

Last week Ed Miliband said he wanted to reduce university tuition fees to £6000 on Friday the Vice-Chancellors wrote an open letter to The Times saying that it would leave a £10 billion "black hole" .

Apparently Ed Mili has given the task to Ed Balls to find £10 billion for the cut in fees. Mansion tax? Fifty pence tax rate? Bankers bonus tax?

Sadly for Ed all three combined won't raise £10 billion and in any case Labour have been spent them several time over already.

They haven't got a clue
And whose fucking fault is that ?

Which government brought in tuition fees ?
"The Cunt's Cunt."

"One desperate shithouse"

therealHJ

Post by therealHJ »

Latest YouGov Scotland Poll

SNP 48%
Labour 27%

95% of SNP and 39% of Labour supporters think Sturgeon is doing a good job.

Sturgeon's approval rating amongst Labour supporters is -4 while Murphy's approval rating amongst SNP supporters is -54

67% of SNP voters say there is no chance they will change their minds before the election but only 50% of Labour supporters are so certain.

Overall, more than 90% of SNP supporters say it is extremely unlikely or there is no chance they will change their minds.

therealHJ

Post by therealHJ »

Labour is going to help 9 million renters "save" £660 a year

According to the Guardian Labour said renters would save £2.5 billion in total

I make 9 million x £660 = £5.9 billion not £2.5 billion

Plus the obvious fact that landlords will increase rents before any freeze and some will leave the rental market completely.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... are_btn_tw