The 2015 General Election Thread

A place to discuss the shambles that is the UK General Election 2015 - free and open discussion for all!!
Steve Hunt
Winner POTY - 2010 !!!!

Re: The 2015 General Election Thread

Post by Steve Hunt »

colinthewarriormonkey wrote:All of the 99 above are dependent on number 100 - which they have so far declined to say what they will do.

It sounds great on paper, but if they got in they wouldn't have a fucking clue how to pull it off.
So, in other words, that's it? Give up. Let's stick with Lib/Lab/Con and condemn ourselves to hopeless government forever?

I don't know how you, or anyone else, can vote for a party whose policies you fundamentally disagree with?
If Arsenal were playing in my back garden, I would draw the curtains.

ENIC OUT

https://www.smava.de/european-debt-clock/

colinthewarriormonkey

Post by colinthewarriormonkey »

Steve Hunt wrote:
colinthewarriormonkey wrote:All of the 99 above are dependent on number 100 - which they have so far declined to say what they will do.

It sounds great on paper, but if they got in they wouldn't have a fucking clue how to pull it off.
So, in other words, that's it? Give up. Let's stick with Lib/Lab/Con and condemn ourselves to hopeless government forever?

I don't know how you, or anyone else, can vote for a party whose policies you fundamentally disagree with?

I wouldn't put a kid who's just has his first driving lesson in charge of a bus full of people, which is what you'd be doing if UKIP got in.

I vote for my local MP because he's a good bloke who actually works hard in the constituency.

I'll take you back to this point though
Steve Hunt wrote:
As for "loyalty" (re: Carswell), you must be joking? It is the nature of politics to back stab.
But it's not in my nature though. I have found that you can get on perfectly well in life by being honest and being a man of your word - it's worked wonders for me in has resulted in me being able to make money because everyone knows where they stand with me and I don't fuck people over. Funnily enough, I tend not to get fucked over either.

I don't respect those qualities in a person, and I certainly would deal with them in real life, so there's no way I'm going to vote for someone like that.

He cannot be trusted.
"The Cunt's Cunt."

"One desperate shithouse"

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

Steve Hunt wrote:

Lets reject a party who may prove to us that they haven't got a clue and stick with the 3 who have proved already that they havent?
Proud Gammon

RIP Neil Peart 1952-2020.

Steve Hunt
Winner POTY - 2010 !!!!

Post by Steve Hunt »

colinthewarriormonkey wrote: I have found that you can get on perfectly well in life by being honest and being a man of your word - it's worked wonders for me in has resulted in me being able to make money because everyone knows where they stand with me and I don't fuck people over. Funnily enough, I tend not to get fucked over either.
I wholeheartedly agree with you colin.

But politics is a different beast. Had he not embraced Carswell as the by-election candidate, can you imagine the furore about UKIP missing a golden chance to get an MP inside Parliament?

He would have faced accusations of him and the party being politically naive - something they get a lot of flak for anyway.

He had no other choice.

ENIC OUT

Steve Hunt
Winner POTY - 2010 !!!!

Post by Steve Hunt »

Basualdo wrote:
Steve Hunt wrote:

Lets reject a party who may prove to us that they haven't got a clue and stick with the 3 who have proved already that they havent?
Quite.

ENIC OUT

Roy Twing

Post by Roy Twing »

Can they do worse than bankrupting the country?

(to name just one of the crimes against this country committed by the mainstream in recent times).
E & OE

the rotary club

Post by the rotary club »

Yes.

Next.
Roger Dodger, you ol' codger.

NorthBank

Post by NorthBank »

It doesn't matter who gets into government, the decisions made by the Bilderberg Group and it's wealthy, powerful affiliates are what really dictate the future agenda. Politicians and political parties don't have the power to do anything, they are just PR spokesmen taking orders for their rewards.

Hillman avenger

Post by Hillman avenger »

Steve Hunt wrote:
colinthewarriormonkey wrote:
Steve Hunt wrote:
colinthewarriormonkey wrote:Oh, and they've got no cunting policies either.
Well, the manifesto's will be out soon, so you can make a judgement then, I guess.

As for "loyalty" (re: Carswell), you must be joking? It is the nature of politics to back stab.

Why not judge them on the policies & manifesto when it comes out, colin? I'm pretty sure you will agree more with the UKIP one than you will with the Tories.
Which policies might I agree with Steve, not allowing unemployed people to own a car?
Take your pick from some of these, for starters:

1. Get Britain out of the European Union
Utter disaster
2. Get control of immigration with an Australian-style, points-based immigration system
Only possible if you do the former...but could be applied to non-EU immigrants
3. £3bn more, annually, into our NHS which desperately needs it
Paid for how?
4. Scrap tuition fees for students studying Science, Tech, Engineering, Maths, or Medical degrees
Paid for how?
5. Pay greater attention to elderly care across the country
What does THAT mean? If it means spend more, from where?
6. Cutting £9bn from our foreign aid budget
All in favour of spending it more wisely, but like the EU budget, we get plenty back- so this is not the net figure[/I
]7. Give the people the ability to “recall” their MPs, without parliamentary or MP approval
OK
8. Stopping our endless, foreign wars
Explain
9. Promoting a British identity, as opposed to failed multiculturalism
And that means? In fact, these are NOT mutually exclusive.
10. Allowing existing schools to become grammar schools
Disagree
11. Ending PFI privatisation of the NHS, proliferated by Labour and the Tories
OK
12. Ensuring our armed services are properly equipped for when we do need them
Begs questions as to what "properly equipped" means...I've no doubt the others sign up to the same principle.
13. Establishing a Veteran’s Administration to look after those who looked after us
OK
14. Encouraging inward investment with growth markets, not JUST the failing Eurozone
Already being done.
15. Overcoming the unfairness of MPs from devolved nations voting on English laws
Depends how.
16. Cutting bureaucracy, red tape, and wasteful spending from government departments
Every party has had this on agenda for decades, depends what you mean.
17. Cutting the same bureaucracy that hinders small businesses and entrepreneurs
Ditto
18. Supporting our farmers with a Single Farm Payment Scheme
If you left the EU, you would have to.
19. Ending the burdensome “green levies” that have added £000s to our energy bills
No.
20. Scrapping the poorly planned HS2 project, saving up to £50bn
OK
21. Opposing tolls on public roads – we’ve already paid for them
OK[/I
]22. Supporting bus passes for pensioners with the support of local authorities
Does that mean paid for by councils- if so, what's the difference?
23. Foreign vehicles to require Britdisc passes to contribute to our roads they use
OK[/I
]24. Ending the use of speed cameras as revenue raisers – they should be a deterrent
No. They are not used as revenue raisers now- it's just that drivers are stupid enough to get caught.
25. Protecting our green belt
???
26. A central list of brownfield sites for developers
If you like- still won't make them use them.[/I
]27. Houses on brownfield sites to be Stamp Duty exempt on first sale
OK[/I
]28. VAT relaxed for redevelopment of brownfield sites
OK
29. Local referenda for large-scale development, if triggered by 5% of electorate
Might be in conflict with 26-28
30. Introducing the ability for citizens to initiate national referenda
Waste of time
31. Withdrawing from the European Court of Human Rights
No
32. Reversing the government’s opt-in to the European Arrest Warrant
No
33. Negotiating bi-lateral agreements to replace EAW
No
34. No votes for prisoners
No
35. Full prison sentences should be served, parole on case-by-case basis
Waste of time, and parole is already case-by-case
36. Replacing the Human Rights Act with a British Bill of Rights
Depends
37. Official documents to be published primarily in English
As they are now
38. Cracking down on honour killings, female genital mutilation, and forced marriages
OK
39. Reviewing the BBC licence fee with a view to reducing it
No
40. Taking non-payment of the licence fee out of the criminal sphere
Only applies now when people do not comply with court
41. Amend the smoking ban to promote choice for ventilated smoking rooms
No
42. Opposing plain packs for cigarettes, which has had no impact where trialled
No and wrong
43. Promoting the employment of young, British workers
Which means?
44. Repealing the Agency Workers Directive
45. Encouraging councils to provide more free parking on High Streets
Naive
46. Simplifying planning regulations for long-term empty commercial properties
47. Extending the right of appeal for micro businesses against Revenue and Customs
48. Negotiating bespoke trade agreements with EU member states and worldwide
Waste of time and money which will leave us at a disadvantage
49. Reoccupying our seat at the World Trade Organisation
50. Abolishing inheritance tax
No
51. Introducing a 35p income tax rate between £42,285 and £55,000 – taking many public sector workers out of higher rate of tax
52. Setting up a Treasury Commission to make sure big corporations pay their way in taxes
OK- but not sure it will help. Leaving the EU will make this even more likely to happen.
53. Abolishing the Dept of Energy and Climate Change and rolling retained functions into DEFRA
No[/I
]54. Introducing an Apprenticeship Qualification for students who don’t want to do non-core GCSEs
55. Scrapping the arbitrary 50% target for university attendance
56. Students from the EU to pay the same as International Students
57. Introducing more power for parents: OFSTED to investigate schools on petition signed by 25% of parents or governors
58. Guaranteeing a job in the police, prison, or border forces for anyone who has served 12 years in the Armed Forces
No
59. Priority social housing for ex-service men and women, and those returning from service
Need to have some first[/I
]60. Veterans to receives Veteran’s Card to ensure they’re supported in event of mental health care and more
61. All entitlements to be extended to servicemen and women recruited from overseas
62. Establishing a National Service Medal for all those who have served
63. Encouraging local authorities to buy out their PFI contracts where affordable
Naive
64. Ensuring GP’s surgeries are open at least one evening per week where demand permits
Most do now anyway
65. Ensuring migrants have NHS-approved health insurance until they have paid into the system for 5 years
Unworkable
66. Ending hospital car parking charges
Stupid
67. Replacing bureaucratic watchdogs with locally elected health boards for more transparency
68. Stopping the sale of patient data to big business
69. Ensuring a high standard of English speakers in the NHS
???
70. Amend working time rules to give trainee doctors, surgeons, and medics better environments
The rules are not the problem now[/I
]71. Encouraging and protecting whistleblowing to get to the bottom of poor performance
Where?
72. Ensuring migrants have jobs and accommodation before they can come to the UK
How?
73. Migrants will only be eligible for residency after 10 years’ working here
74. Reinstating the primary purpose rule, bringing an end to sham marriage migration
75. No amnesty for illegal immigrants, or those gaining UK passports via fraud
76. Protecting genuine refugees by returning to the UN Convention of Refugees principles
77. British companies to be prioritised to deliver foreign aid contracts
They are now
78. Repealing the Climate Change Act 2008 which costs the economy £18n per year
No
79. Scrapping the Large Combustion Plant directive and redevelop UK power stations
No
80. Supporting the development of UK Shale Gas with proper safeguards
So as now then
81. No new taxpayer subsidy for wind farms
82. Leaving the Common Agricultural Policy
If you leave the EU you will
83. Allowing parliament to vote on GM foods
84. Reinstating British territorial waters
85. Food to be labelled with country of origin, method of production, method of slaughter and more
86. Ban live animal exports for slaughter
OK
87. Scrapping the Bedroom Tax
88. Child benefit only for children permanently resident in the UK
89. Future child benefit to be limited to first two children only
90. Ensuring an initial presumption of 50-50 parenting on child custody matters
Naive
91. Safeguarding visitation rights for grandparents
Naive
92. Supporting a streamlined welfare system and a benefit cap
???
93. Enrolling unemployed benefits claimants into workfare or community schemes
94. Placing revenues from shale gas into a Sovereign Wealth Fund to ensure future growth and security
95. Emphasising the immediate need to utilise forgotten British infrastructure like Manston Airport
96. No cuts to frontline policing
Naive
97. Prioritising social housing for those whose parents and grandparents were born locally
98. Reaffirming British laws, rather than allowing dual-track legal systems for minorities in the UK
They aren't "allowed" now
99. Promoting patriotism and the importance of British values in our schools
100. Rebalancing Britain’s economy
Yeah, right....

After all this time...incomplete, unfunded, vague and wrong.
No mention of

Defence
Local government
Foreign policy ( except the EU)
Law and order
Economic policy
Fiscal policy
Energy ( except stopping things)
Regulation of financial services, utilities...
Equality
Housing (except who gets them)
Healthcare ( again, except stopping people having access)
Transport
The elderly
Press regulation
Security vs privacy
Competition
Education
Working families
and so on

Extremely vague in many things, weirdly specific in others, betraying little understanding of what already exists, it reads like a list dreamed up as people remembered stuff at 10pm one night in a pub.

Nothwithstanding that, I am intrigued there is no mention of capital punishment...
Last edited by Hillman avenger on Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Listen to Talksport and let it be a lesson to you

Hillman avenger

Post by Hillman avenger »

NorthBank wrote:It doesn't matter who gets into government, the decisions made by the Bilderberg Group and it's wealthy, powerful affiliates are what really dictate the future agenda. Politicians and political parties don't have the power to do anything, they are just PR spokesmen taking orders for their rewards.
Grow up
Listen to Talksport and let it be a lesson to you

Roy Twing

Post by Roy Twing »

Hillman avenger wrote: Paid for how?
Point number one, that you describe as 'utter disaster' would cover it.
E & OE

therealHJ

Post by therealHJ »

Peter Kellner's prediction

colinthewarriormonkey

Steve Hunt wrote:
colinthewarriormonkey wrote: I have found that you can get on perfectly well in life by being honest and being a man of your word - it's worked wonders for me in has resulted in me being able to make money because everyone knows where they stand with me and I don't fuck people over. Funnily enough, I tend not to get fucked over either.
I wholeheartedly agree with you colin.

But politics is a different beast. Had he not embraced Carswell as the by-election candidate, can you imagine the furore about UKIP missing a golden chance to get an MP inside Parliament?

He would have faced accusations of him and the party being politically naive - something they get a lot of flak for anyway.

He had no other choice.
Yes he did

He could have done the right thing.
"The Cunt's Cunt."

therealHJ

Post by therealHJ »

East Ham and Brent North

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

Does anyone doubt this headline will soon become the norm?

They media pushes it in the sense that Eastern Europeans are a threat. To be fair to them, they are highly likely to integrate in a manner where we still feel safe within our own culture with them here, as most Eastern European cultures aren't that far different from our own.

Can anyone put their hand on their heart and say they feel the same sense of security if this rising tide was an Islamic one?

therealHJ

Post by therealHJ »

Lord Darzi a former health minister for Labour also criticises Labour on NHS

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-31052010

Ralph
Forum Admin

Post by Ralph »

England's biggest hospitals veto NHS budget over patient safety fears.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015 ... fety-fears

Roy Twing

Post by Roy Twing »

therealHJ wrote:East Ham and Brent North

You can bet your life (no irony intended) that none of these 'new brit' constituencies will bring in a tory MP (much less a right wing one) - it does make you wonder about cameron's clearly blase attitude over mass immigration.
E & OE

Steve Hunt
Winner POTY - 2010 !!!!

Post by Steve Hunt »

Roy Twing wrote:
You can bet your life (no irony intended) that none of these 'new brit' constituencies will bring in a tory MP (much less a right wing one) - it does make you wonder about cameron's clearly blase attitude over mass immigration.
Not really. Well, not if you recognise him as the liberal he so clearly is. He's no more a Tory than John Prescott. He just found a vehicle that he thought would best suit his political purposes, bearing in mind his privileged upbringing.

The Tories were hoodwinked. Which says a lot about how far they have lost their way.

ENIC OUT

colinthewarriormonkey

therealHJ wrote:Lord Darzi a former health minister for Labour also criticises Labour on NHS

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-31052010

Would that be the same Lord Darzi who is on the advisory board of GE healthcare ?

http://www.ge.com/about-us/healthymagin ... lord-darzi
"The Cunt's Cunt."

Sid Pervcat

Post by Sid Pervcat »

I'm going to spoil my paper.
I released the blob must to my darkest dread

But its mint choc chip which is the ice cream flavour of Satan's spermatozoa

Careful now, you’re being beastly to Leado and this canno he totlerated.

About to get underway at the Berbabeu

Steve Hunt
Winner POTY - 2010 !!!!

Post by Steve Hunt »

Sid Pervcat wrote:I'm going to spoil my paper.
I have done that in the past, writing "no credibility" by each candidate.

I figured that at least I had bothered to vote, if only to register my total contempt for the so-called "choices". .

ENIC OUT

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

Post up the andrexdence My Moon
Speaking for the rest of the forum since 2019

therealHJ

Post by therealHJ »

Steve Hunt wrote:

I figured that at least I had bothered to vote, if only to register my total contempt for the so-called "choices". .
I would like to see a non-of-the-above option on the ballot paper

Steve Hunt
Winner POTY - 2010 !!!!

Post by Steve Hunt »

therealHJ wrote:
Steve Hunt wrote:

I would like to see a non-of-the-above option on the ballot paper

So would i

ENIC OUT