Rillington Place

Music, TV, movies, anything else media not Talksport related
Carlos J
Forum Admin

Rillington Place

Post by Carlos J »

The film, '10 Rillington Place' with dear Dickie Attenborough as Christie and excellent John Hurt as Evans was a great film. Telling of John Christie who murdered many at his house, some were prostitutes, neighbour Timothy Evans' wife and child after she wanted an abortion and also his own wife. Which, investigation fucked up resulted in the ill-educated Evans meeting the noose.

BBC1 Tuesday at 9pm has a three part dramatisation. Usually great Tim Roth as Christie and Samantha Morton as Beryl Evans. the super soaraway Sun has a decent article on it: https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/2 ... our-spine/

How the three episodes pan out from the Indie: http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 43151.html
Indeed Rillington Place is interestingly structured, with its three episodes showing the crimes from the differing perspectives of (first) Christie’s wife Ethel (played by Samantha Morton), then of Timothy Evans, and finally of Christie himself – played with a soft Yorkshire accent and bald pate by Tim Roth, who manages to be chilling while suggesting the shambling gait of Woody Allen.
I'll watch, though first episode later as out tomorrow.
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Darkyboy

Re: Rillington Place

Post by Darkyboy »

Carlos J wrote:The film, '10 Rillington Place' with dear Dickie Attenborough as Christie and excellent John Hurt as Evans was a great film. Telling of John Christie who murdered many at his house, some were prostitutes, neighbour Timothy Evans' wife and child after she wanted an abortion and also his own wife. Which, investigation fucked up resulted in the ill-educated Evans meeting the noose.

BBC1 Tuesday at 9pm has a three part dramatisation. Usually great Tim Roth as Christie and Samantha Morton as Beryl Evans. the super soaraway Sun has a decent article on it: https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/2 ... our-spine/

How the three episodes pan out from the Indie: http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 43151.html
Indeed Rillington Place is interestingly structured, with its three episodes showing the crimes from the differing perspectives of (first) Christie’s wife Ethel (played by Samantha Morton), then of Timothy Evans, and finally of Christie himself – played with a soft Yorkshire accent and bald pate by Tim Roth, who manages to be chilling while suggesting the shambling gait of Woody Allen.
I'll watch, though first episode later as out tomorrow.

Looking forward to this Carlos. The film is a truly chilling watch and always worth seeing again. Not sure how the series will compare, but will watch for sure.
Free at last, free at last, thank God almighty, we are free at last.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Indeed, Darky.

One note for completeness that I got wrong, maybe thinking agewise and not reading properly. Samantha Morton (playing older) is Christie's wife, Edith. Jodie Comer is playing Evans' wife, Beryl.

Apologies all for incorrect information.

Darkyboy

Post by Darkyboy »

No worries. I was surprised that Samantha Morton is playing Edith, but she is a fine actress. It will be interesting to see what the conclusions are re: Timothy Evans conviction.

Reg

Post by Reg »

Yet another BBC programme dishonouring the memory of a former war hero and police officer.
BE NICE TO EACH OTHER.

IF YOU CAN’T SAY SOMETHING KIND, SAY NOTHING AT ALL.

LET’S MAKE talkFORUM FUN AGAIN!

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Indeed, Reg. :)

genehunt1973

Post by genehunt1973 »

Didn't they shoot the film in Christie's actual house? I'm sure I read somewhere they did
I have greatest respect for Rugby Union, they started it mid-way through the 19th century. Thankfully we grabbed it and turned it into a spectacle on 29th August 1895

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

An English girl I knew claimed her mother used to work with Christie at the post office or something.
Proud Gammon

RIP Neil Peart 1952-2020.

Darkyboy

Post by Darkyboy »

genehunt1973 wrote:Didn't they shoot the film in Christie's actual house? I'm sure I read somewhere they did
They certainly film outside the house itself, but I think the interiors were at another house.

Darkyboy

Post by Darkyboy »

"Virtually bald pate" as Beeky once said.

Darkyboy

Post by Darkyboy »

Not sure if enjoyed is the word, but I'm glad I watched all three episodes. Interesting that when Reg finally gets his leg over, it's to strangle his wife. Do not be fooled by the shambling gait; Reg could be agile when he needed to be.

ps. this post does not refer to the poster named Reg on the forum. Any similarity is purely coincidental.

tennisman

Post by tennisman »

Darkyboy wrote:Not sure if enjoyed is the word, but I'm glad I watched all three episodes. Interesting that when Reg finally gets his leg over, it's to strangle his wife. Do not be fooled by the shambling gait; Reg could be agile when he needed to be.

ps. this post does not refer to the poster named Reg on the forum. Any similarity is purely coincidental.
Thought it was excellent albeit being the grimmest and bleakest thing I've seen in ages.

He planned and executed (literally) each murder carefully, cleverly and efficiently and then simply threw the bodies into cupboards, outside sheds and the garden!

Seconds before the drop he said, 'My nose is itching' to which Pierrepoint responded, 'Don't worry, it won't irritate for long'.

Tim Roth was brilliant.

Cherries fan

Post by Cherries fan »

I still havent seen the original movie made in 1970 or 1971 (cant remember which year)but read about it on crimelibrary and watched a 30 minute programme well over a decade back o0n History channel (i think) as part of the Great British Crimes drama or something like that. Fascinating!

Darkyboy

Post by Darkyboy »

There is a documentary on Real Lives (Sky 172) at 9pm tonight on Christie. Not sure if this is the one Fred Dineage presented.