Westworld

Music, TV, movies, anything else media not Talksport related
caveman

Westworld

Post by caveman »

New series on Sky Atlantic started last night. Lots of hype around it... has anyone seen it?

Was it any good?

I taped it and hope to see it at the weekend.

beingsoblase

Re: Westworld

Post by beingsoblase »

Yeah I watched it, really enjoyed it, just before it started Mrs B asked me "wasn't westworld some old film!!"
"Stop drinking on an empty stomach and tweeting on an empty head, you fucking booze-addled halfwit."

Darkyboy

Post by Darkyboy »

Yes, it got off to an promising start. Ed Harris is suitably sinister as the man in black.
Free at last, free at last, thank God almighty, we are free at last.

Lord Notin Kwestion

Post by Lord Notin Kwestion »

Good first episode. Don't know how they will stretch it into a series though because all we want to see is the robots go wild.
The most abused and banned poster in Talkforum history.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Great film. As per my Lord, stertching it will be a stretch.
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Reg

Post by Reg »

Yeah, the film was very good. And virtually ignored until recently.

But agree, it was a strong one-off idea, and pretty much said all there was to say. (The sequel was ridiculous.)
BE NICE TO EACH OTHER.

IF YOU CAN’T SAY SOMETHING KIND, SAY NOTHING AT ALL.

LET’S MAKE talkFORUM FUN AGAIN!

Reg

Post by Reg »

Just watched the first episode.

A lot of potential storylines planted, some interesting themes to explore - wonder if it will cover the same ground as "Humans" did, or take them in different directions.

The original obsessive inventor with the personal connection to his early versions, the nature of memory, the effect on human family relationships, the amoral corporate dimension, what is human and when does a machine achieve consciousness, etc
BE NICE TO EACH OTHER.

AlcoholBrazil

Post by AlcoholBrazil »

Looking forward to seeing the fembots in action. That new Humans series on Channel 4 is about to start too.
Still remember Yul Brynner in the original, surely the inspiration to the Terminator .
Boris " Do not look at what I am doing, Look how cute and adorable Dilyn is.....Look at Dilyn ! "

Bad Blue 2000

Post by Bad Blue 2000 »

It's the same plot as Jurassic Park which is no surprise as they were both written by the same person.
I HEAR YOU KNOCKIN', BUT YOU CAN'T COME IN...

Reg

Post by Reg »

Bad Blue 2000 wrote:It's the same plot as Jurassic Park which is no surprise as they were both written by the same person.
I haven't read that book or seen the film, but I would have thought there's a lot more to say about imitation humans than a bunch of dinosaurs.

The running amok and playing God aspect is obviously the same, but Westworld is more than that.
BE NICE TO EACH OTHER.

beingsoblase

Post by beingsoblase »

There was some talk about a westworld/game of thrones crossover between was writers and George rr martin.

Imagine that!
"Stop drinking on an empty stomach and tweeting on an empty head, you fucking booze-addled halfwit."

Bad Blue 2000

Post by Bad Blue 2000 »

Reg wrote:
Bad Blue 2000 wrote:It's the same plot as Jurassic Park which is no surprise as they were both written by the same person.
I haven't read that book or seen the film, but I would have thought there's a lot more to say about imitation humans than a bunch of dinosaurs.

The running amok and playing God aspect is obviously the same, but Westworld is more than that.
Yes, but it's still the same plot.
I HEAR YOU KNOCKIN', BUT YOU CAN'T COME IN...

Reg

Post by Reg »

Bad Blue 2000 wrote:
Reg wrote:

Yes, but it's still the same plot.
Well I haven't seen it so I'll take your word for it.
BE NICE TO EACH OTHER.

Lord Notin Kwestion

Post by Lord Notin Kwestion »

Like every other relatively new series or reboot, it seems that the real problem is the humans and not whatever evil it is meant to be about.

:smt015
The most abused and banned poster in Talkforum history.

Reg

Post by Reg »

Lord Notin Kwestion wrote:Like every other relatively new series or reboot, it seems that the real problem is the humans and not whatever evil it is meant to be about.

:smt015
Yes, I was thinking that too while watching further episodes. There is a fatalistic misanthropy abroad, my Lord.

I'm sure we can expect plenty of "dark" impulses to be uncovered in even the apparently nice visitors.
BE NICE TO EACH OTHER.

ikhlaq786

Post by ikhlaq786 »

Strange but good is the only way I can describe the tv show. The original film was excellent.
"It doesn't mean that I advocate violence, but at the same time, I am not against using violence in self-defense. I don't call it violence when it's self-defense, I call it intelligence."

carcinogen

Post by carcinogen »

Ho-lee-shit. Just watched the first 2 episodes. Fucking hell, love it. I knew it'd be up my alley, but wasn't thinking it would be THIS good.
Fred Kite: I've got to be off. I can't stay here arguing. I've got a lot to do. Report to the Executive, check up on the pickets.
Mrs. Kite: From what I can see, the only time you ever jolly well *do* any work is when you're on strike.

deisegirl

Post by deisegirl »

I started watching this yesterday and the first few episodes were quite gripping but I found my attention wandering by the fifth episode. There's enough to keep me watching.
Saggers is alive??!!
Talksport is dark and full of errors.
Wilbur did nuffink wrong!

Reg

Post by Reg »

carcinogen wrote:Ho-lee-shit. Just watched the first 2 episodes. Fucking hell, love it. I knew it'd be up my alley, but wasn't thinking it would be THIS good.
Have you ever seen any other TV series?
BE NICE TO EACH OTHER.

carcinogen

Post by carcinogen »

Reg wrote:
carcinogen wrote:Ho-lee-shit. Just watched the first 2 episodes. Fucking hell, love it. I knew it'd be up my alley, but wasn't thinking it would be THIS good.
Have you ever seen any other TV series?
I started to watch 'Humans' on Channel 4, utter shit.
Fred Kite: I've got to be off. I can't stay here arguing. I've got a lot to do. Report to the Executive, check up on the pickets.
Mrs. Kite: From what I can see, the only time you ever jolly well *do* any work is when you're on strike.

carcinogen

Post by carcinogen »

Ed Harris. Anthony Hopkins. Yeah, keep telling yourself soldier. Idiot.

beingsoblase

Post by beingsoblase »

Anyone else spot the Easter egg in last nights episode? I'm sure there was a dimly lit yul brynner robot in the background of one scene.

PG30

Post by PG30 »

Really like the Music in the program. Last nights string quartet version of motion picture soundtrack was brilliant

Darkyboy

Post by Darkyboy »

beingsoblase wrote:Anyone else spot the Easter egg in last nights episode? I'm sure there was a dimly lit yul brynner robot in the background of one scene.
The Yul Brynner "man in black" was in the background. They used the juddering sound in the soundtrack, as a clue that he was there as well.

It's a fascinating series but not easy to keep track of. I think it requires a couple of viewings to take in everything that is going on in the backstory.
Free at last, free at last, thank God almighty, we are free at last.

beingsoblase

Post by beingsoblase »

Darkyboy wrote:
beingsoblase wrote:Anyone else spot the Easter egg in last nights episode? I'm sure there was a dimly lit yul brynner robot in the background of one scene.
The Yul Brynner "man in black" was in the background. They used the juddering sound in the soundtrack, as a clue that he was there as well.

It's a fascinating series but not easy to keep track of. I think it requires a couple of viewings to take in everything that is going on in the backstory.
Too right, I intend to watch the original film, then the whole of this series when its finished.