The Man in the High Castle

Music, TV, movies, anything else media not Talksport related
hereintheusa

Post by hereintheusa »

I have just started watching the Amazon "adaptation" of the classic Philip K Dick novel and its a top notch show.

Classic alternative history fare which centers on a world where the Axis powers won WWII. The Nazis control the eastern states of the US and Japan controls the pacific states with a neutral zone in the middle. Both the Nazis and the Japanese want to get hold of film footage which details our timeline in which they lost. The resistance is trying to smuggle these films out to show the world that they live in a false reality.

This story is set amongst a backdrop of an increasing Cold War between Japan and Germany which threatens to go nuclear.

The world building is fantastic and over the 10 episodes you are immersed in a really believable world.

Go watch it now.

m4rkb

Re: The Man in the High Castle

Post by m4rkb »

Sound decent that. Nt one for the telly these days but it sounds like something to get into.

I'll check it out on pirate bay for a download.

Lou Grant

Post by Lou Grant »

It'll be crap - the reviews and write ups I've seen (& the trailer) all make my heart sink.

Go read the book. Or if you've already read it, go re-read it.
Come for the rampant misogyny, stay for the tedious bitching

carcinogen

Post by carcinogen »

I really like PKD. For me, his greatest work is: 'A Scanner Darkly' (dealing with surveillance and state snooping). I was amazed it became a film, I thought it impossible. And what's more, the film was actually good! With Downey Jr. & K Reeves. Amazing to me. If you read one PKD book, read A Scanner Darkly. I never got on with The Man in the High Castle tbh. 'Time Out of Joint' is another good PKD read. It's basically 'The Truman Show ' Very good. Of course, one must consider PKD was high on amphetamine when he wrote. Still, I really like his stuff. Blade Runner is nothing like his book either. Sorry, I'm ranting. BUT:

Here's a real nice BBC documentary on him, well worth a watch if you're interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cK2MPgAHRk
Fred Kite: I've got to be off. I can't stay here arguing. I've got a lot to do. Report to the Executive, check up on the pickets.
Mrs. Kite: From what I can see, the only time you ever jolly well *do* any work is when you're on strike.

hereintheusa

Post by hereintheusa »

Lou Grant wrote:It'll be crap - the reviews and write ups I've seen (& the trailer) all make my heart sink.

Go read the book. Or if you've already read it, go re-read it.
Why dont you watch the show for yourself and then form a real opinion?

As I said it's a loose adaptation so if your expecting to see the novel on the small screen you will be dissapointed.

I have read the book and it is very different to the show but both can be enjoyed in their own ways.

hereintheusa

Post by hereintheusa »

carcinogen wrote:I really like PKD. For me, his greatest work is: 'A Scanner Darkly' (dealing with surveillance and state snooping). I was amazed it became a film, I thought it impossible. And what's more, the film was actually good! With Downey Jr. & K Reeves. Amazing to me. If you read one PKD book, read A Scanner Darkly. I never got on with The Man in the High Castle tbh. 'Time Out of Joint' is another good PKD read. It's basically 'The Truman Show ' Very good. Of course, one must consider PKD was high on amphetamine when he wrote. Still, I really like his stuff. Blade Runner is nothing like his book either. Sorry, I'm ranting. BUT:

Here's a real nice BBC documentary on him, well worth a watch if you're interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cK2MPgAHRk
Your right High Castle is not an easy read. I only came to appreciate it second or third time.

Dicks books are fertile territory for movies etf because at their core is a really good idea. But the stories themselves do not lend themselves to a good translation into a movie or TV show.

Thanks for the link to the documentary. I am looking forward to watching that.

colinthewarriormonkey

Post by colinthewarriormonkey »

I'm watching it and have just referred to it in a thread stating that it shows how a man who just wants to keep his head down can easily be turned into a freedom fighter, only watched 4 episodes so far, so will probably stay away from this thread as I don't want any spoilers.

Thoroughly enjoying it as is my wife and this really isn't her sort of thing.
"The Cunt's Cunt."

"One desperate shithouse"

carcinogen

Post by carcinogen »

I studied American History & Politics at Uni and managed to get myself onto a American Lit. course run by a brillaint nutcase tutor. I struggled, it wasn't my field at all, I just knew the tutor was charismatic and I wanted to be in his class. I barely made it though. But I remember writing an essay on 'Martian Time-Slip'. That's a pretty good PKD novel to explore.

Fred Kite: I've got to be off. I can't stay here arguing. I've got a lot to do. Report to the Executive, check up on the pickets.
Mrs. Kite: From what I can see, the only time you ever jolly well *do* any work is when you're on strike.

hereintheusa

Post by hereintheusa »

carcinogen wrote:I studied American History & Politics at Uni and managed to get myself onto a American Lit. course run by a brillaint nutcase tutor. I struggled, it wasn't my field at all, I just knew the tutor was charismatic and I wanted to be in his class. I barely made it though. But I remember writing an essay on 'Martian Time-Slip'. That's a pretty good PKD novel to explore.

Not read that one but will definitely do so now. Thanks for the recommendation. Did you study Dick on the course?

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

hereintheusa wrote:
carcinogen wrote:I studied American History & Politics at Uni and managed to get myself onto a American Lit. course run by a brillaint nutcase tutor. I struggled, it wasn't my field at all, I just knew the tutor was charismatic and I wanted to be in his class. I barely made it though. But I remember writing an essay on 'Martian Time-Slip'. That's a pretty good PKD novel to explore.

Not read that one but will definitely do so now. Thanks for the recommendation. Did you study Dick on the course?

Proud Gammon

RIP Neil Peart 1952-2020.

hereintheusa

Post by hereintheusa »

Okay after re-reading my post I LOL as well. Nice catch bas.

Recently my team were talking about a thanksgiving pitch in and they all started talking about how one of the husbands was really good at smoking meat. Yes I was snickering to myself as they had a conversation about smoking meat. I am laughing now just thinking about it.

Lou Grant

Post by Lou Grant »

In my personal opinion - best of his SF novels

Martian Time-Slip
Dr. Bloodmoney, or How We Got Along After the Bomb
Now Wait for Last Year
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
Time Out of Joint
A Scanner Darkly

Also well worth reading

Solar Lottery
We Can Build You
The Game-Players of Titan
The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch
Counter-Clock World
Ubik
Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said
The Transmigration of Timothy Archer

Best of his non SF novels

In Milton Lumky Territory
Confessions of a Crap Artist
Humpty Dumpty in Oakland

There are a number of books to avoid - some of his earliest non SF books and some early SF novels that are basically short stories padded out into novels for reasons of needing the cash.

Worst offenders - The Cosmic Puppets, The Man Who Japed, Gather Yourselves Together, Vulcan's Hammer, Dr. Futurity
Come for the rampant misogyny, stay for the tedious bitching

deisegirl

Post by deisegirl »

Started watching this, first episode has me interested anyway so might as well keep going!
Saggers is alive??!!
Talksport is dark and full of errors.
Wilbur did nuffink wrong!

Suhari

Post by Suhari »

Interesting.

I started reading the book only a week or two back, as my holiday read. Never read a PKD before. Not really suited as my holiday read though: not a trash pick up/put down novel: far more involved than that.

Might check in on the Amazon show.
I might have done one - not sure but possible.

carcinogen

Post by carcinogen »

Lou Grant wrote:In my personal opinion - best of his SF novels
Time Out of Joint
Really enjoyed that. Some of his short stories are great too, obviously. May be a good place to start.

Suhari

Post by Suhari »

Revisiting this. Only managed to watch the first one......god, nearly a year ago.

Suhari

Post by Suhari »

Watched the first three.

Not sure it's all that.

deisegirl

Post by deisegirl »

I found the American characters quite dull but there's enough in it to make me watch the second series which I think is released next month.
Saggers is alive??!!
Talksport is dark and full of errors.
Wilbur did nuffink wrong!