Which Camera

Technology support & advice, including avatar requests
Zambo

Which Camera

Post by Zambo »

Don't want to be beamed up to Mars, or spend ages reading through an inch thick instruction booklet, so just looking for a basic aim it/shoot it auto camera with a decent zoom and a decent sized view window.

Looking to pay £100-£150.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Don't always believe what you think, because sometimes its' a load of shite

warmleatherette

Re: Which Camera

Post by warmleatherette »

Zambo wrote:Don't want to be beamed up to Mars, or spend ages reading through an inch thick instruction booklet, so just looking for a basic aim it/shoot it auto camera with a decent zoom and a decent sized view window.

Looking to pay £100-£150.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
You really need to get down to the likes of Currys and physically pick them up, there's hundreds of cameras that would fit your requirements but the actual "feel" of a camera is the only way to choose once you've compared specs, a simple point and shoot £60 quider would probably do you as even the cheapys take a great shot these days but you might end up getting "into" it and find a basic is letting you down in the future.
For what it's worth I have this one which does far more than I need but I take a lot of pics at gigs and the low light/fast movement capabilities outdo a point and shoot and that's what sold it for me.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/cameras-an ... 0wodGswEaA
Brilliantly Honest

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Yeah already had planned to go to Currys later this morning, just wondered if there were any recommendations before I set off.

Cheers for the info

carcinogen

Post by carcinogen »

Stand out from the crowd and impress your boho chic friends in Primrose hill with some retro flavour, by a polaroid instant camera.
Fred Kite: I've got to be off. I can't stay here arguing. I've got a lot to do. Report to the Executive, check up on the pickets.
Mrs. Kite: From what I can see, the only time you ever jolly well *do* any work is when you're on strike.

warmleatherette

Zambo wrote:Yeah already had planned to go to Currys later this morning, just wondered if there were any recommendations before I set off.

Cheers for the info
Ask about the insurance they offer, 3 years back it was £17 for 3 years of no quibble replacement for damage or fault and having dropped my fair share it sounded like a good deal, 2 years on I dropped my camera and cracked the screen, took it back and they changed it there and then for the one I have now as the previous model was no longer available, for a change it really was what it said on the tin.
Brilliantly Honest

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

I had one when they first came out thrown in with new computer a Canon sommat or other with 2 megapixels. It had an 'on' button and another to take a picture plus a couple on the opposite side to do some basic settings such as a flash. A true point and click. You could get the camera out and take a shot within 5 seconds of taking it out and every picture was superb. Then the button fell off after about 8 years.

The thing I've got now has to wait for the lens to come out, focus on the subject, await confirmation it's in focus and then press. It takes longer to get the pic up and doesn't give much feedback that it's done it. A huge step backwards in simplicity.

Good job I don't do much photography really as it'd end up going through the window. I won't even bother going on about the one on the phone.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Got the Canon IXUS 180. Currys didn't have much, so ended up getting it at Jessops £100

Steve Hunt
Winner POTY - 2010 !!!!

Post by Steve Hunt »

Zambo wrote:Got the Canon IXUS 180. Currys didn't have much, so ended up getting it at Jessops £100
I thought Jessops had gone bust :?
If Arsenal were playing in my back garden, I would draw the curtains.

ENIC OUT

https://www.smava.de/european-debt-clock/

blues4ever

Post by blues4ever »

Steve Hunt wrote:
Zambo wrote:Got the Canon IXUS 180. Currys didn't have much, so ended up getting it at Jessops £100
Peter Jones from Dragons Den bought them I think Steve.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Steve Hunt wrote:
Read they were in trouble a while ago, but didn't one of the geezers off Dragon's Den bail them?

warmleatherette

You'll love it, my best mate has the same but a few versions before and the pictures he gets are really good even though all he does is point and shoot in auto mode, quite a small screen and only 20x zoom though but he's blind as a bat so he doesn't care :-)

The "smile" capture mode is great, give it a go at parties/gatherings :-)
Brilliantly Honest

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Yeah screen 2.7 but adequate. Think it will be fine for what we want it for. I'm no David Bailey.

paolo

Post by paolo »

same boat, getting one as phone won't cut it

wanting decent, but not full size with bulk etc

at the mo stuck on sony a6000

reviews a joke as most cameras get good reviews

no need for top spec, just summat good n reliable that i can stick a lens on
Poster of the Year

Respecting Democracy

Diversity is Genocide