Solid State Hard Drives

Technology support & advice, including avatar requests
AlcoholBrazil

Solid State Hard Drives

Post by AlcoholBrazil »

Currently using a old Maplin external old fashioned HDD a few years old, nearly full and looking to replace it.
It is said to have a life span of 7-10 years .
Anyone had a Solid-State external drive which are a couple of hundred quid more , but is said to be a better method of
preserving files ?
Boris " Do not look at what I am doing, Look how cute and adorable Dilyn is.....Look at Dilyn ! "

Dinger

Re: Solid State Hard Drives

Post by Dinger »

They are more reliable AB as there are no moving parts and they are blisteringly fast.

Size and cost are the restrictions... I have a 256GB SSD just to run wildows and bits of other stuff and a more traditional 4TB drive for mass storage.

If you have never seen Windows boot from an SSD have a look at this:

phpBB [video]
Who goads the goaders?

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

Mine used to fire up as fast as that before I installed hundreds of programs and other shit.

black_guardian

Post by black_guardian »

Got one in my laptop...transfer speeds and boot up time much faster. Get one. 8)
<Doctor...you will die for this...!>

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

Also you get more space than they say because of the way they lay out the memory. They add redundant space just in case any of it fails. There are onboard chips designed to swap and chop which parts are active to keep them all alive and anything you store on there is never instantly deleted.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

mark
Forum Admin

Post by mark »

Dinger wrote:They are more reliable AB as there are no moving parts and they are blisteringly fast.

Size and cost are the restrictions... I have a 256GB SSD just to run wildows and bits of other stuff and a more traditional 4TB drive for mass storage.

If you have never seen Windows boot from an SSD have a look at this:

phpBB [video]
TL:DW

antdad

Post by antdad »

The OP just wants a replacement for an external HD, no need for an SSD if he ain't booting up and running an OS. Think about alternative means of secure storage like a NAS or cloud.