MP3 Changes

Technology support & advice, including avatar requests
Zambo

MP3 Changes

Post by Zambo »

Although difficult to believe, my next door neighbour is shiter than me with IT, and stupidly he asked me to put three CDs onto his daughters MP3 player.

I USBd the MP3 player to my tower, and ripped the 3 CDs to my PC. I then transferred them to the MP3 (came up as E drive). I got them on but must have fucked it up somewhere, because all of the tracks on the three CDs have come up in one album called 'unknown album' on the MP3.

So then I plugged the MP3 player back in created some new folders, named them and all of the tracks and dragged the tracks into their appropriate folders. I assumed that whilst I was doing it they would all be saved on the MP3 in E drive, but when I took the MP3 out, the tracks were all still combined into one 'unknown album'. Is there a saving step I've missed or have I fucked up somewhere else?

Appreciate useful replies. (apart from you are an IT pygmy so keep away which I already know).Thanks.
Don't always believe what you think, because sometimes its' a load of shite

warmleatherette

Re: MP3 Changes

Post by warmleatherette »

You need to give each individual track its own information, what MP3 player do you have on your PC?
Brilliantly Honest

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

Yep. It's a tagging problem. Tags are just information groups like artist, year, track number, artist information, album, genre, year etc that are embedded into the file . There are loads of different ones and you can even invent customised ones if you want, not that you'd need to.

I use an editor called Mp3tag to set them. It's a bit difficult to learn if you're not very tech savvy but if you are it will do everything you need. You can also alter these tags by right clicking the MP3 file and using the built in tag editor under properties. You have to do them one by one though which is a pain in the arse.

Also when your in a music folder directory , if you right click any of the column headings like name, type , date modified etc you can select and view a whole lot more.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Thanks for the info. Warm, it's a Philips Go Gear Mix. It's odd that some info on the MP3 has album name, artist and track name. The three I loaded just come up as 'unknown album' even though they are named in their own folders when I insert the MP3 and view the files. I think she just uses, Music, all songs, shuffle, so she will get to hear them at some stage. She can also hear all of the songs on the three but will need to chose 'unknown album'

LaaLaa
Jedi Master

Post by LaaLaa »

Zambo wrote:She can also hear all of the songs on the three but will need to chose 'unknown album'
If she can choose 'unknown album' and find the tracks, at that point it should be possible to rename them to an album name.
I really am a biatch

warmleatherette

Post by warmleatherette »

Zambo wrote:Thanks for the info. Warm, it's a Philips Go Gear Mix. It's odd that some info on the MP3 has album name, artist and track name. The three I loaded just come up as 'unknown album' even though they are named in their own folders when I insert the MP3 and view the files. I think she just uses, Music, all songs, shuffle, so she will get to hear them at some stage. She can also hear all of the songs on the three but will need to chose 'unknown album'

Mmmmm if you play them on your PC in windows media player and the track and album is visible then it's her player that's at fault, if they're not showing in windows media player then it's the files missing the tags, windows media player is capable of tagging but I'm buggered if I know how these days as it seems to change every week :-)
Brilliantly Honest

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

LaaLaa wrote:
Zambo wrote:She can also hear all of the songs on the three but will need to chose 'unknown album'
If she can choose 'unknown album' and find the tracks, at that point it should be possible to rename them to an album name.
The problem there Laa is that unknown album only comes up on the portable player. When I plug it in to PC everything looks like it should do, so there is nothing to rename and save on there

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

warmleatherette wrote:
Zambo wrote:Thanks for the info. Warm, it's a Philips Go Gear Mix. It's odd that some info on the MP3 has album name, artist and track name. The three I loaded just come up as 'unknown album' even though they are named in their own folders when I insert the MP3 and view the files. I think she just uses, Music, all songs, shuffle, so she will get to hear them at some stage. She can also hear all of the songs on the three but will need to chose 'unknown album'

Mmmmm if you play them on your PC in windows media player and the track and album is visible then it's her player that's at fault, if they're not showing in windows media player then it's the files missing the tags, windows media player is capable of tagging but I'm buggered if I know how these days as it seems to change every week :-)
Yeah, that's how it is. I can play them no probs from their album name on media player on the PC

mark
Forum Admin

Post by mark »

If you look at the MP3 files in explorer and check the available fields there are many tags available and you PC based player will be reading some of them.
It might be best to reconnect the player to your PC and view the files as they are on the player and check which tag fields the player can use then do some mapping. Remember to quote mates rates.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

mark wrote:If you look at the MP3 files in explorer and check the available fields there are many tags available and you PC based player will be reading some of them.
It might be best to reconnect the player to your PC and view the files as they are on the player and check which tag fields the player can use then do some mapping. Remember to quote mates rates.
How do I look at the files in Explorer? All I believe I can do is plug the MP3 player into the PC. What comes up then under E drive is a list of folders - FAQ, FSC Command, Installer, Manual, Music, Recordings. Then when I click on Music I get a list of folders which I have named by artist and in some cases album name. Then when I look in each folder I have the tracks listed and named. Don't know how to plug the MP3 player in and view files as they are on the player.

When I disconnect the MP3 from the PC and switch on I get the following come up. Music (select that) then I get a list. All songs, Artists, Albums, The artist list contains literally every artist on the player and then under other it has uknown album which includes all of the tracks I loaded recently.

I think the girl always uses all songs and then shuffle, so she gets the lot, so if it's too complicated I'll leave it.

Thanks for your time anyway. Would still be interested in finding out how you view files on Explorer and how to look at the files on PC as they look on the player though.

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

m4rkb wrote:Yep. It's a tagging problem. Tags are just information groups like artist, year, track number, artist information, album, genre, year etc that are embedded into the file . There are loads of different ones and you can even invent customised ones if you want, not that you'd need to.

I use an editor called Mp3tag to set them. It's a bit difficult to learn if you're not very tech savvy but if you are it will do everything you need. You can also alter these tags by right clicking the MP3 file and using the built in tag editor under properties. You have to do them one by one though which is a pain in the arse.

Also when your in a music folder directory , if you right click any of the column headings like name, type , date modified etc you can select and view a whole lot more

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

OK, I'll give that a go, thanks.

Edit - it worked, doing each track and renaming unknown album.

Cheers again