Phone overheating & battery draining fast

Technology support & advice, including avatar requests
Roy Twing

Phone overheating & battery draining fast

Post by Roy Twing »

Anyone got any useful tips for solving the above issues?
I thought it was a battery issue so bought a new one recently, but no difference.
Last night for instance, the phone had around 80% charge, and was completely flat this morning.
E & OE

m4rkb

Re: Phone overheating & battery draining fast

Post by m4rkb »

Turn off all the crap like Bluetooth and GPS if you don't need them. These usually flatten mine if I forget to turn them off

Don't overcharge the battery if you can help it as it starts to lose its charge easier and quicker

If you're in an area low reception the phone will try and increase power to latch onto a better signal espacailly background data tasks over the network.

Go into settings and if there's one on power usage ,see if there is an app or process using more battery than you think it should.

They're a quick snapshot of the main ones.

Hillman avenger

Post by Hillman avenger »

If it's a Nokia Lumia, try all the above then throw it away.

It's worth disabling location until you need it for something.
Listen to Talksport and let it be a lesson to you

Roy Twing

Post by Roy Twing »

Thanks for the suggestions, - I've already tried the disabling of functions such as location (although it kind of defeats the point of a smart phone if they all have to be turned off), but the poor reception area suggestion might be a possibility, given that the battery life does seem to be worse at home than at other locations - trouble is it doesn't sound like the kind of problem that has a solution.
E & OE

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

Your mobile knows where you are anyway, far more accurately than they let on especially when exchanging data, so apart from using it as a sat nav things like using say Yell.com on the move generally still work.

You'll find the low reception issue has a slight workaround if you have wifi reception enabled and are in a region to receive it as that signal will usually draw data over that connection rather than the 3g or 4g network thus saving some battery.

When I go to Wales, a friend of mine sits just on the reception border and you can almost feel the heat coming off the phone as it increases power trying to lock onto a weak signal. If that's the case it's better to shove it straight into flight mode to save wasting any battery at all.

colinthewarriormonkey

Post by colinthewarriormonkey »

Download an app killer free from the play store.

Sounds to me like you've got an appp running in the background, this will shut them all down when you activate it.

If my kids play angry birds it causes the phone to heat up and drain the battery, if you don't close the app down it runs in the background
"The Cunt's Cunt."

"One desperate shithouse"

mark
Forum Admin

Post by mark »

colinthewarriormonkey wrote:Download an app killer free from the play store.

Sounds to me like you've got an appp running in the background, this will shut them all down when you activate it.

If my kids play angry birds it causes the phone to heat up and drain the battery, if you don't close the app down it runs in the background
The app running in the background one is a good shout, particularly if the phone is in an area with poor reception and the background app refresh option is set to yes.
Does your phone have an option to review battery usage? On mine a few months ago I found that youtube was using almost 50% of battery power so now I always kill it once I'm done.

colinthewarriormonkey

Post by colinthewarriormonkey »

mark wrote:

The app running in the background one is a good shout, particularly if the phone is in an area with poor reception and the background app refresh option is set to yes.
Does your phone have an option to review battery usage? On mine a few months ago I found that youtube was using almost 50% of battery power so now I always kill it once I'm done.
Interesting, I've just had a look at mine and found that 6% of my battery usage was amazon kindle - I don't even use it, I've got a kobo. The other odd thing was that it used up more battery power than radio player, which I use for roughly 3 hours a day.
"The Cunt's Cunt."

"One desperate shithouse"

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

Any app that uses more power than the screen needs looking at if it's not dependent on using the screen.

Thursty

Post by Thursty »

mark wrote:

Dougie has a lot to answer for. At least his videos don't play anymore.
the smoke gets in your eyes
run the exhaust back inside
close the window and take a ride
i've got a place to go
there's nowhere to hide