Windows 10

Technology support & advice, including avatar requests
lasharoo

Re: Windows 10

Post by lasharoo »

The Ghost of Alex Higgins wrote:Usual clusterfuck of nonsense spouted online My Lash. It will be great, as always. And is free so appy daze
That's what's making me suspicious Higgy, the fact that it's free.....I smell a rat somewhere,
'This is all your doing, Lash, no one else'

shabbado

Post by shabbado »

m4rkb wrote:I don't actually see anything in there that makes me want to up-heave everything again and make another upgrade.

They say performance and boot up times are quicker which is the only thing on that list worth looking at from my perspective. I couldn't care less about live desktop searches or better file searching as it's already indexed on W7 and fast enough for me as it is.

Short of accepting the upgrade purely on the grounds of lengthening the lifespan Microsoft spend writing fixes for bugs for their operating systems or for those using plenty of touch screen devices, I can't see a compelling reason to switch. I could find various bits of free software that make up for the new enhancements anyway. As it stands W7 is running just fine.

XP lasted for 15 years with plenty of happy customers who were disappointed to see them ditch supporting the system. The only decent reason to have done so was that XP didn't support modern multi-core processors. Not so with W7.

I get the impression MS might not sell to many operating systems unless they are for new machines which is why they are offering free upgrades to users with older systems. Their track record for introducing quality new operating systems is also a bit chequered apart from some really great ones like XP at the time. Only windows 2000 and W7 get grouped in that bracket.

Stick or twist? I'll stick
You want faster boot times?

Invest in a SSD drive. Lightening fast.
A joyless arsehole

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

LCD display?
Speaking for the rest of the forum since 2019

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Don't always believe what you think, because sometimes its' a load of shite

lasharoo

Post by lasharoo »

Zambo wrote:Anyone who is thinking of upgrading beware. :mrgreen:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... epeat.html
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Zambo wrote:And read the small print

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... -warn.html
Some handy tips...

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 32300.html

lasharoo

Post by lasharoo »

Just reverted back to 7 after trying it, the first thing that pissed me off was there is no default option (that I could find) to make windows see-through (the Aero thing on themes) the menus seem needlessly confusing and even old fashioned and the amount of stuff microsoft tries to force on you via their apps is a joke.

colinthewarriormonkey

Post by colinthewarriormonkey »

I love it. So much better than windows 8
"The Cunt's Cunt."

"One desperate shithouse"

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

You could have downgraded to W7 and had an OS much better than W8.

Rule of thumb is never touch an OS less than 18months old. The amount of fixes in that time is almost a complete rewrite and if it's no good after that Microsoft usually scrap it.

Hillman avenger

Post by Hillman avenger »

colinthewarriormonkey wrote:I love it. So much better than windows 8
The reason Microsoft skipped 9 and brought 10 in so quickly was that 8 was regarded widely as a disaster, reflecting MS's desperation as they lose leadership in the IT marketplace.

If you got 8 and didn't switch back to 7 sharpish you'd be in a minority.
Listen to Talksport and let it be a lesson to you

colinthewarriormonkey

Post by colinthewarriormonkey »

Hillman avenger wrote:
The reason Microsoft skipped 9 and brought 10 in so quickly was that 8 was regarded widely as a disaster, reflecting MS's desperation as they lose leadership in the IT marketplace.

If you got 8 and didn't switch back to 7 sharpish you'd be in a minority.
I had windows 8 installed in the new PC - not sure I'd have been able to go back, in retrospect though, that would have been the smart thing to do.
"The Cunt's Cunt."

"One desperate shithouse"

caveman

Post by caveman »

I have been using Win 10 for a few days now.

Seems ok to me, but all i really do is surf the web and use word.

wathman

Post by wathman »

just upgraged to 10...call me a thicko but I cant tell any difference! :oops:
Spanish Johnny drove in, from the underworld last night,with bruised arms and broken rhythm and a beat up old Buick but dressed just like dynamite!

m4 colin

Post by m4 colin »

Not fucking hard to be better than 8
I heard gods fast but I'd have to go up against him before I believe it

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Anyone uprgraded to 10 recently? If so what is their experience?

When you upgrade, does the new platform auto retain all of your downloads, like AVG and Malwarebytes, browsers etc. or do you have to do it again for some progs. Guess my biggest concern is my PC based email system. I've got that backed up, but don't want to risk losing anything.

I have been reading feedback, and some people are complaining that some stuff doesn't work with 10 as it did with 7 or 8. There will come a time when I have to bite the bullet, but just wondered about the timing. Currently still on 7 and have been happy with that.

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

Zambo wrote:Anyone uprgraded to 10 recently? If so what is their experience?

When you upgrade, does the new platform auto retain all of your downloads, like AVG and Malwarebytes, browsers etc. or do you have to do it again for some progs. Guess my biggest concern is my PC based email system. I've got that backed up, but don't want to risk losing anything.

I have been reading feedback, and some people are complaining that some stuff doesn't work with 10 as it did with 7 or 8. There will come a time when I have to bite the bullet, but just wondered about the timing. Currently still on 7 and have been happy with that.
I haven't upgraded to it yet and won't be until Windows 7 stops doing the things I need it to do which is going to be hard considering all I use are standard programs which I've been using for years.

Personally I hate upgrades, as they tend to leave behind a right trail of fucking mess that is almost guaranteed to look like one of those drawers in your house full of every kind of shit you think you need but don't but you never throw it out just in case. IMO you're better off saving everything you need onto some back up device and doing a fresh install wiping the drive as you go , if that's an option.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Yes, then at least you are sure you have everything from the old to transfer to the new. Thanks.

kevin04

Post by kevin04 »

Apologies for clogging up this thread with not exactly the right question, but can anyone know anything about buying a computer abroad and the operating language? My girlfriend is going to Norway to visit her sister in a few weeks and believe it or not, we seem to have found a decent priced site and sale over there that sells laptops, but would the operating language be in Norwegian, and if so, is it easy enough to change it to English?

Cheers in advance.
Bellend. Rupert Bell fanclub - MEMBER.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

m4rkb wrote:
Zambo wrote:Anyone uprgraded to 10 recently? If so what is their experience?

I haven't upgraded to it yet and won't be until Windows 7 stops doing the things I need it to do which is going to be hard considering all I use are standard programs which I've been using for years.

Personally I hate upgrades, as they tend to leave behind a right trail of fucking mess that is almost guaranteed to look like one of those drawers in your house full of every kind of shit you think you need but don't but you never throw it out just in case. IMO you're better off saving everything you need onto some back up device and doing a fresh install wiping the drive as you go , if that's an option.
Forgot to ask. I've got all my important stuff backed up on sticks, but they obviously soon become out of date. When you backup again, do you have to wipe the old stuff off first, or does it overwrite automatically?

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

I'd put the first lot of files into a folder called backup1 (with a date perhaps) and then put the new lot into a folder called backup2 again with a date.

If you just stuck the new lot of files onto the same stick and it found duplicate names it'll usually show you the file details for you to compare visually if it's definitely and identical file or not. You also get the option to (1) skip copying it or (2) make a second copy with a slight change of file name that suggests it's a copy. eg pic1.jpg >>> becomes pic1-1.jpg or pic1-copy.jpg .

If a file is clearly made at a later date it will also ask if you want to replace the older version with the new one but you should be careful and only do this is you're sure they are basically the same file but an updated version. eg if you started writing a letter and then carried on with it later using the same file name but saved it into a different folder

It is a bit of a bastard all this and I've got sprawls of backups myself, sometimes duplicates but in general I think I've got everything saved even if it's twice on ocassions

Also try to keep the backup in a completely different place just in case some catastrophe happens like the house burns down and everything goes up hopefully bar you and Mrs Zambo. :D

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Cheers for that, much appreciated.

mark
Forum Admin

Post by mark »

kevin04 wrote:Apologies for clogging up this thread with not exactly the right question, but can anyone know anything about buying a computer abroad and the operating language? My girlfriend is going to Norway to visit her sister in a few weeks and believe it or not, we seem to have found a decent priced site and sale over there that sells laptops, but would the operating language be in Norwegian, and if so, is it easy enough to change it to English?

Cheers in advance.
Your biggest problem won't be operating system language or other software. It will be that components including the power supply will probably be 'market specific' and neither easy nor cheap to buy in this country. Given how sensitive laptops can be I wouldn't be buying one abroad for that reason unless I knew everything in it was UK compatible.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Only a couple of weeks left for a free upgrade to 10.

Those still on 7 or 8 what are you going to do?

lasharoo

Post by lasharoo »

Zambo wrote:Only a couple of weeks left for a free upgrade to 10.

Those still on 7 or 8 what are you going to do?
I'm on 7 and I'm firmly a remainian, I tried 10 and lasted 2 days before getting rid of it, load of crap.

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

Same here. If Windows XP supported multicore processors I'd still be on that now.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Staying on 7 as well.