AVG

Technology support & advice, including avatar requests
m4rkb

AVG

Post by m4rkb »

It seems AVG have gone from a proud purveyor of a half decent free anti virus to a bunch of snides who have installed a trojan instead.

Anyone who uses AVG will have recently been told they need to 'upgrade' their protection in much the same phraseology as a normal virus definition update.

When you've clicked 'update' nothing is said immediately, until maybe a day later. After that you find out you've just agreed to install the paid version on what must have been the last day of the trial.

You can either carry on and be constantly reminded you have no virus protection - but can pay to get it, or you can uninstall it and find an alternative.

If you chose the 'uninstall' option you get the option to downgrade to the free version which will keep you up to date. You can only access this option by choosing to uninstall.

This is a dirty fucking trick from a firm which professes to keep you safe from internet rogues.

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Re: AVG

Post by Basualdo »

No wonder Tottenham sacked him then.
Proud Gammon

RIP Neil Peart 1952-2020.

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

Basualdo wrote:No wonder Tottenham sacked him then.
:D

carcinogen

Post by carcinogen »

AVG fucked up my registry beyond repair 3 years ago. I hate the cunts.
Fred Kite: I've got to be off. I can't stay here arguing. I've got a lot to do. Report to the Executive, check up on the pickets.
Mrs. Kite: From what I can see, the only time you ever jolly well *do* any work is when you're on strike.

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

carcinogen wrote:AVG fucked up my registry beyond repair 3 years ago. I hate the cunts.
Rebuild it yourself manually.

It will give you something to do on these coming dark nights.

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

You down wit AVG?
Speaking for the rest of the forum since 2019

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

Its an anagram of vag.
Proud Gammon

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

m4rkb wrote:It seems AVG have gone from a proud purveyor of a half decent free anti virus to a bunch of snides who have installed a trojan instead.

Anyone who uses AVG will have recently been told they need to 'upgrade' their protection in much the same phraseology as a normal virus definition update.

When you've clicked 'update' nothing is said immediately, until maybe a day later. After that you find out you've just agreed to install the paid version on what must have been the last day of the trial.

You can either carry on and be constantly reminded you have no virus protection - but can pay to get it, or you can uninstall it and find an alternative.

If you chose the 'uninstall' option you get the option to downgrade to the free version which will keep you up to date. You can only access this option by choosing to uninstall.

This is a dirty fucking trick from a firm which professes to keep you safe from internet rogues.
Yep, same thing happened to me yesterday, got a pop up but I ignored it. Made me curious though, so I went onto the AVG site to see if 2015 free version was available. It was, but when I downloaded I realised that it was the pro trial version. Had to downgrade back to 2015 free.

Will be in contact with the cunts.
Don't always believe what you think, because sometimes its' a load of shite

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

Freemium stealth tactictery and NSA grassup residents
Speaking for the rest of the forum since 2019

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

NO TO GHOSTIE'S CLEANSWEEP!
Proud Gammon

Thursty

Post by Thursty »

Those cunts, giving you free software and then trying to make a buck but still giving you the option to carry on using the free version.
the smoke gets in your eyes
run the exhaust back inside
close the window and take a ride
i've got a place to go
there's nowhere to hide

Gosport Mark

Post by Gosport Mark »

m4rkb wrote:It seems AVG have gone from a proud purveyor of a half decent free anti virus to a bunch of snides who have installed a trojan instead.

True. But they're not a charity. Someone gotta get paid!!
Any comments contained within this post which are deemed offensive are unintentional. If any poster does wish to complain then please PM me first for a personal apology.

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

I don't mind them earning money. It's the trickery involved I don't like, as most people don't get to the uninstall stage unless they are positive they want to remove it. The option to downgrade to the free version again is only ever seen as a the last resort to keep you. In the meantime you could end up with an infected machine when they had a free version around which you could have been using instead.

Also, the paid-for version has a host of extra feature which are disabled in the free version giving legitimate reason to upgrade anyway.

For an anti virus company, it's quite a dodgy way to go about things. And I've also noticed you are plagued with the upgrade message if you ignore it.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Thursty wrote:Those cunts, giving you free software and then trying to make a buck but still giving you the option to carry on using the free version.
Say what is available and allow the customer to choose, don't try and con and trick them into going for something they may not want. That is a shit business practice imo.
Don't always believe what you think, because sometimes its' a load of shite