World Darts Championship 2016/17 - Game & Everything

Anything sportlike
Rainbowmonkey
Winner - POTY 2014!!!!

Re: World Darts Championship 2016/17 - Game & Everything

Post by Rainbowmonkey »

delboy1983 wrote:BUMP :)
delboy1983 wrote:Gone for 7-3 to MVG forgetting for once my Scottish bias
Del you are "tungesten" mystic well played sir. Didn't look likely though when Ando were 2-1 up and I never thought there would be 4 sets between them in the end. Will look a slightly deceptive margin when we see the leg score I think.

Quite similar to the MvG-Barney semi-final last night which also rolled from 2-2 to 6-2 in no time. The blubbing bald one can be a handy player.
You ARE Rodney Bewes

Rainbowmonkey
Winner - POTY 2014!!!!

Post by Rainbowmonkey »

Be buggering me what a tournament. 27-17 in legs tonight. FORTY-TWO 180s. No time now to collect all the records but know this. Big Robbo's time is up.

Last edited by Rainbowmonkey on Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You ARE Rodney Bewes

Rainbowmonkey
Winner - POTY 2014!!!!

Post by Rainbowmonkey »

lolls bless his heart you'll go a way to find a world champ all this year to whiom it so obviously means so much. (Has Selby blinked yet?) Surprisingly emotionally he let in light on how mindful he was of what people had been saying - that he'd only won the biggest prize once. That fatlump Snackpot can shut his fatface now about who's won what. Multiple world champion is the final box ticked and an important one. Won it on the bull too.

You ARE Rodney Bewes

Rainbowmonkey
Winner - POTY 2014!!!!

Post by Rainbowmonkey »

That impossible tournament average just looking at it must have destroyed Taylor's record. About now Philth'll be in the dog's basket buried in party rings quivering.

You ARE Rodney Bewes

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

Still not sure how snackpot won it once, let alone twice
Speaking for the rest of the forum since 2019

subsub

Post by subsub »

Rainbowmonkey wrote:That is beautiful. 2-time World Champion and Legend. Records smashed in all directions. Magnificent.
I switched on when Anderson was 2-1 up.
Fuck me, that didn't last long. Epic stuff from George Dawes.

And I had a few quid on 7-3 :D
SIX-TIME CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE

Rainbowmonkey
Winner - POTY 2014!!!!

Post by Rainbowmonkey »

The Ghost of Alex Higgins wrote:Still not sure how snackpot won it once, let alone twice
I know, a slim hungry specimen then compared to now. He never stylishly cut through a row of quality players to win one, as MvG has, but hey, it don't say nuffin on the trophy Dive.

When he won his second, he said he'd win "10 at least" and then hello haribo. MvG in 2017 will show him what a true great does. Hint it's not taking on Welsh gnomes on twatter. Gerwyn Price that is. Killer instinct of a lettuce in recent years him.
You ARE Rodney Bewes

Rainbowmonkey
Winner - POTY 2014!!!!

Post by Rainbowmonkey »

subsub wrote:
Rainbowmonkey wrote:That is beautiful. 2-time World Champion and Legend. Records smashed in all directions. Magnificent.
I switched on when Anderson was 2-1 up.
Fuck me, that didn't last long. Epic stuff from George Dawes.

And I had a few quid on 7-3 :D
It was 44 legs. :shock: that used to take HOURS. Was everyone on 7-3 then? Well done. :( loads of my tips near the start of the thread came true, err apart from Taylor to win it. Good old George. One of the greatest world title wins.
You ARE Rodney Bewes

The End

Post by The End »

Rainbowmonkey wrote:When he won his second, he said he'd win "10 at least" and then hello haribo.
:smt044 :smt044 :smt044
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 250 character limit.

Holden Mcgroyne

Post by Holden Mcgroyne »

What's Huybrechts done to warrant a PL place ? Do his antics suit the PL atmosphere better ? Gurney even getting a mention is a joke.
'I say if the flats aren't good enough for you, why don't you f... off back to Somalia' .........Jon Gaunt

Rainbowmonkey
Winner - POTY 2014!!!!

Post by Rainbowmonkey »

Holden Mcgroyne wrote:What's Huybrechts done to warrant a PL place ? Do his antics suit the PL atmosphere better ? Gurney even getting a mention is a joke.
The Pear's fast-paced style and aggression fit the event perfectly, as does his nationality. It is only a non-ranking exhibition after all.

You can break it down though - Baz retweeted somebody saying that Suljovic didn't want a wildcard if offered, so that ruled him out. 9 out of the world's top 10 are in, with Suljovic opting out. Looking down the rankings for a 10th player, you find 11 Smith and 12 Thornton who were in it last time and have both had a rotten season so are not an option. Then Kim is 13th so it makes sense by that measure too.

Gurney has actually had a great season. Euro Tour final, last man to beat MvG, all topped off by a Worlds quarter-final, also a TV semi-final at the very end of 2015. Along with Benito, he is one of the most improved players on the tour and the 14th highest earner this season.

I think they would like to do a wacky pick like Reyes or Dimitri but they are afraid of some poor lad getting battered week in week out on what is a shockingly competitive aggressive tournament.
You ARE Rodney Bewes

Rainbowmonkey
Winner - POTY 2014!!!!

Post by Rainbowmonkey »

BBC live text updates of last night's final: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/darts/38251855

Rugby legend Sir Clive Woodward throws his weight behind campaign to get darts into the Olympic Games :roll:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/other-spo ... rd-9551639
You ARE Rodney Bewes

Rainbowmonkey
Winner - POTY 2014!!!!

Post by Rainbowmonkey »

Holden Mcgroyne wrote:New Statesman getting in on the act

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/sp ... on-t-darts
mmmintrestin and another example of caling it simply 'the world darts championship' and fucking description of the bigman:
Van Gerwen is not just the best dart player in the world but the best anything in the world; one of the best anythings in the history of everything. And he is only 27.

But, as with any great sportsperson, to assess van Gerwen by his numbers is to miss the point entirely. A wondrous bolus of uncut genius, his competitive charisma is startling – a mix of passion, intimidation, egomania, and the most distinctive phizog of all-time. He throws darts like flaming javelins, celebrates like a psychopath, and because it is impossible not to know how good he is, he makes no attempt not to know how good he is. He is perfect.
:smt101 :smt035
You ARE Rodney Bewes

Rainbowmonkey
Winner - POTY 2014!!!!

Post by Rainbowmonkey »

Season 2016/17 TV Ranking Events: Finals

UK Open......................................Michael van Gerwen 11-4 Peter Wright
World Matchplay...........................Michael van Gerwen 18-10 Phil Taylor
World Grand Prix..........................Michael van Gerwen 5-2 Gary Anderson (sets)
European Championship................Michael van Gerwen 11-1 Mensur Suljovic
Grand Slam of Darts......................Michael van Gerwen 16-8 James Wade
Players Championship Finals..........Michael van Gerwen 11-3 Dave Chisnall
World Championship.....................Michael van Gerwen 7-3 Gary Anderson (sets)

Not possible. Twould have been terrible shames had he not wrapped up his godyear with the big one. He did it though. Eh. Hm.

You ARE Rodney Bewes

Rainbowmonkey
Winner - POTY 2014!!!!

Post by Rainbowmonkey »

Looking at people who've been watching darts for decades putting van Gerwen variously third or fourth in the all-time list of greats, in the company of Taylor, Bristow and Barney.

Thoughts on where to put him anyone err? I've been watching since the late 90s and I can only put Taylor above him. If you factor in hentertainment, style and the sheer thrill of it all (optional), he is the best player I've ever seen. Awesome.
You ARE Rodney Bewes

genehunt1973

Post by genehunt1973 »

Taylor,Bristow,Preistley(would have won far more titles if not for Taylor)MVG ,Barney Lowe, that order ,for now

P.s Brissy was sometimes unplayable in his pomp

:dart: :dart:
I have greatest respect for Rugby Union, they started it mid-way through the 19th century. Thankfully we grabbed it and turned it into a spectacle on 29th August 1895

The End

Post by The End »

Van Gerwen is comfortably second only to Taylor. He's surpassed Bristow and Barney not so much in World titles but in overall ability over 3-4 years now.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 250 character limit.

The End

Post by The End »

genehunt1973 wrote:Taylor,Bristow,Preistley(would have won far more titles if not for Taylor)MVG ,Barney Lowe, that order ,for now

Top 6 for me:

Taylor
Van Gerwen
Bristow
Van Barneveld
Lowe
Priestley

genehunt1973

Post by genehunt1973 »

The End wrote:
genehunt1973 wrote:Taylor,Bristow,Preistley(would have won far more titles if not for Taylor)MVG ,Barney Lowe, that order ,for now

Top 6 for me:

Taylor
Van Gerwen
Bristow
Van Barneveld
Lowe
Priestley
Would still for now have Eric no2 but Mvg wont be far off him
I have greatest respect for Rugby Union, they started it mid-way through the 19th century. Thankfully we grabbed it and turned it into a spectacle on 29th August 1895

Rainbowmonkey
Winner - POTY 2014!!!!

Post by Rainbowmonkey »

The End wrote:Van Gerwen is comfortably second only to Taylor. He's surpassed Bristow and Barney not so much in World titles but in overall ability over 3-4 years now.
That is the heart of the matter I think. I don't understand why some darts fans who watch the tournaments all year round cling to number of world titles as though nothing else counts. I can see why a very casual fan or a non-fan would think like that but there IS a lot more to consider than how many times you nabbed a knockout pot of a January.

Even before he won his second world title, MvG was STREETS ahead of 2-time champ Lewis in my all-time list. Level of performance over length of time being a main factor. Sustained genius, plus he'd won about 6 times as many TV titles as the lump.
You ARE Rodney Bewes

genehunt1973

Post by genehunt1973 »

If you watch Bristow in his prime and the boards he played on with the narrow trebles and doubles and think what he could achieve now I still put him 2nd regardless of his titles like I said that's for now though

The End

Post by The End »

genehunt1973 wrote:If you watch Bristow in his prime and the boards he played on with the narrow trebles and doubles and think what he could achieve now I still put him 2nd regardless of his titles like I said that's for now though
Agree with this - you can add 10 onto Bristow's averages when looking at the darts they used and the state of the wires on the boards.

Rainbowmonkey
Winner - POTY 2014!!!!

Post by Rainbowmonkey »

genehunt1973 wrote:If you watch Bristow in his prime and the boards he played on with the narrow trebles and doubles and think what he could achieve now I still put him 2nd regardless of his titles like I said that's for now though
Yes so much has changed that it is pointless comparing far apart eras using averages etc. It's what you do to your generation of rivals, playing with the same equipment as you, that gives you the measure of a great player's greatness. MvG is Taylorising cunts now and has been doing so to various extents for 3+ years, making obviously brilliant players including all the world champions of his time look like idiots.

Mentally too, his single-mindedness and attitude and pursuit of bloody revenge is certainly reminiscent of Taylor, and surely Bristow although I never saw Bristow. Taylor's complete mental collapse in the Matchplay final because no number of insane antics could rattle MvG out of the zone was something I'd never seen before.
You ARE Rodney Bewes

Rainbowmonkey
Winner - POTY 2014!!!!

Post by Rainbowmonkey »

Speaking of bloody revenge, it was not surprising that MvG likened his wins over the great fellow countryman Barney and back to back champ Anderson here as exactly that. Anderson beat him in the semis two years ago; Barney beat him in the last 16 last year. Clattering the pair of them, who were both playing really well, with insane darts added delightful completeness to this world title win.

Breaking the record World Championship average to get rid of Barney who averaged 109 and was near enough gasping for breath in the interview afterwards would have been satisfying as all fuck for MvG. Putting it right.
You ARE Rodney Bewes

Rainbowmonkey
Winner - POTY 2014!!!!

Post by Rainbowmonkey »

MvG doing all his media today, saying he wants to play until he's about 40. Five world titles minimum is his plan. Too hard really to look that far ahead but if he plays another 14 world championships, it's not impossible that he'll win another 3. At his current level he'd probably win almost all of them.

http://www.skysports.com/golf/news/1228 ... e-to-catch
You ARE Rodney Bewes